Using a Mike Dirnt bass for other music than it was intended

gaspergoo

• Members

That has a lot of room between the neck and bridge, could get a bunch more pups in there. Looks kinda empty

I'm tempted to put a gibsons style bass humbucker in the neck position, like the tele basses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FENDER-TELECASTER-BASS-1973-BLONDE-BOMBSHELL_W0QQitemZ150412637707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item23054ab60b

but for the time being I think I should just leave it be. w

• Members

It's an original (non-contoured) p-bass body, tele-style headstock and one piece maple neck, "later style" split pickup and a badass bridge ... but it's still a p-bass.

String/eq/play it like Dirt or Jamerson or anything in between.

I play mainly Texas blues, Roots, Zydeco. This bass really fits my style. I like the sound of the split coil pup. I like the early P-bass design w/ the metal control plate and Tele headstock. Its a Squier.

• Moderators
I Dirnt know you had a Dirnt.

I like the body style and pickguard. Tonally, it's the only Fender I've owned that I didn't change the pot values. I think it has a nice attack without changing to 500k. Now to really fit the "moo" theme, since I took this picture I've since painted the headstock black and it now reads "Got Milk." Moo. :lol:

• Moderators

Man, Kindness, that white/maple one is the absolute secks.
:love:
:love:

It's a '57 RI strung with flats (yuck!) that sees a lot of time backing singer/songwriters. I can't stand the gloss neck, but it wouldn't be a Fender RI without the nasty gloss finish.

• Moderators

Get some low grade sandpaper and remove it. Its what i did to all my basses once i felt an s'ray.

Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't belong there. :D I don't understand having a '57 RI if you aren't going to keep the vibe. My Glaub has an oil and wax neck, so I have that side of things covered as well. :thu:

• Moderators
Thanks for the info. Man, those are difficult to search. What is the neck profile like on it? What are the knobs/switches?

Originally, those came with 2 stacked pots as the electronic setup was an active Kubicki deal. It was too hi-fi to my ears, so I have mine set up vol/tone and drilled a 3rd hole for the Les Paul style pickup switch. I have since done the same thing to my blonde one that I use to have setup as v/v/t. I can't speak to how Kindness has his set up, but I'm fairly certain he also has discarded the active electronics, IIRC.

• Members

Originally, those came with 2 stacked pots as the electronic setup was an active Kubicki deal. It was too hi-fi to my ears, so I have mine set up vol/tone and drilled a 3rd hole for the Les Paul style pickup switch. I have since done the same thing to my blonde one that I use to have setup as v/v/t. I can't speak to how Kindness has his set up, but I'm fairly certain he also has discarded the active electronics, IIRC.

Thanks. :thu:

• Moderators

I ditched the electronics and went with a passive PJ setup running vol/vol. The neck profile is the modern P, the 1.625" nut width. Also, the neck is a 22 fret neck and the body is smaller than a traditional P. It's pretty unique. You hear people refer to them as "cowpokes" which might help your searching.

Archived