Finishing School....

BottomHeavyKate

• Members
I would suggest a large, inexpensive program there in the city. Lots of graduates, everyone knows the name. In my experience, if people have heard the name, and/or know someone who went there, that is as important as anything in the business world.

Now, MBA school is different. Where you went is more important, but not by a whole lot.

Plus, it sounds like you already have some good connections already.

If I do the above and get my associates finished at this local cc....a lot of those colleges downtown open up for me. There are so many choiced here - that's part of my problem :lol:

This has all been very good advice guys. I really apprecite it - and you've probably saved me several thousands of dollars!!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just visited the downtown cc during lunch. I can knock out my associates and get some other required classes done at $70/credit!!! They said they offer a lot of online stuff too and I made sure that they are properly accredited....

If I do the above and get my associates finished at this local cc....a lot of those colleges downtown open up for me. There are so many choiced here - that's part of my problem

Another word of caution: Some Associates degrees will not carry over to the Bachelors program. My wife is doing the AS (accounting) from the CC, and her degree pursuit ends there. A lot of those classes don't transfer over to Universities... I'm not sure why though. So if you want to pursue a bachelors or masters, make sure the associate classes will transfer.

• Members

$210 per class per semester is very inexpensive and the CC will most likely have better evening class options since many people commute, vs. living on campus at a 4+ year school.

I was lucky that my employer paid full boat for my BS CS (books, lab fees and everything). That was my main impetus for going back to school a second time.

I know you're not looking for a new job, but if something bad were to happen, having an accounting degree isn't soooo bad. I had my first accounting job 15 months after I started school and long before I had my degree.

• Members

Another word of caution: Some Associates degrees will not carry over to the Bachelors program. My wife is doing the AS (accounting) from the CC, and her degree pursuit ends there. A lot of those classes don't transfer over to Universities... I'm not sure why though. So if you want to pursue a bachelors or masters, make sure the associate classes will transfer.

The CC I went to had a list of what other schools would take and where they would put the credits, so definitely check with your CC if/when you know which school you'll be going to afterwards. Over half of the credits I earned getting my AS Accounting transferred to my BS CS. The university really couldn't fit my accounting classes onto my CS degree except for some free credit here and there.

• Members

the program we looked at is specifically a transfer degree. It's just an associate in arts. No empahsis. It is designed for people transfering to four year programs - which is nice. They have a list on the back of the form with the IAI approved classes (Illinois Articulation Initiative - state selected classes for transfer).

I'm getting kind of excited!

• Members
the program we looked at is specifically a transfer degree. It's just an associate in arts. No empahsis. It is designed for people transfering to four year programs - which is nice. They have a list on the back of the form with the IAI approved classes (Illinois Articulation Initiative - state selected classes for transfer).

I'm getting kind of excited!

Word! :thu:

• Members

I always wanted to go into engineering. I can't imagine turning down a full scholarship.

It was seriously between that and music. One of the hardest decisions I made and one of the only regrets I have.

I was that kid....I attended the University of Minnesota at 12 years old. I was a math nut. And I pitched it all away for music.

Now I'm almost 30 without even an associates in the business world. I never would have guessed in a million years that this is where I would end up.

• Members
Like Robert Morris.

+1

:eek:

So U of I has an online BBA completion program. I just need to finish up a couple of pre-reqs. I can do that on the cheap at Harold Washington (Chicago City College).

Then it's $24,000 flat tuition for the entire balance of the program and I get a BBA from U of I! If I worked my ass off - I could start the BBA in January....

• Members

So U of I has an online BBA completion program.

Then it's $24,000 flat tuition for the entire balance of the program

I know online is supposedly the wave of the future :rolleyes: but for that kind of scratch I would be hesitant. There is something to be said for interaction with classmates, IMO.

• Members

I know online is supposedly the wave of the future
:rolleyes:
but for that kind of scratch I would be hesitant. There is something to be said for interaction with classmates, IMO.

That's true but wih my travelling that I'm going to have to do - this is the best way for me. It's the Univeristy of Illinois, not something weird like Phoenix. 24k for 60 credits - $400/credit. Hell - that's less than a lot of the other schools I'm seeing. Depaul is over $28k a year.....

• Members

That's true but wih my travelling that I'm going to have to do - this is the best way for me. It's the Univeristy of Illinois, not something weird like Phoenix. 24k for 60 credits - $400/credit. Hell - that's less than a lot of the other schools I'm seeing. Depaul is over $28k a year.....

U of I does have a good reputation and all, it would just be something I made sure I looked at the impact of. Got a link to the program?

• Members
UIC is different than U of I. Yes, same school system, but different schools.

Regardless, it is a huge improvement over Robbert Morris.
:thu:

When I called and spoke to them - they said that their offices are based at UIC but that it's the U of I online program. It's seperate from any of the other locations.

{censored} me - It's cheaper than robert morris too :freak:

• Moderators
When I called and spoke to them - they said that their offices are based at UIC but that it's the U of I online program. It's seperate from any of the other locations.

{censored} me - It's cheaper than robert morris too
:freak:

So the actual piece of paper with your degree you receive upon finishing the schooling would say U of I or UIC?

• Members

So the actual piece of paper with your degree you receive upon finishing the schooling would say U of I or UIC?

I'll have to check because I see another Online BBA degree completion program from the University of Illinois at Springfield.....

Is the Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) not the University of Illinois?

• Members

Is the Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) not the University of Illinois?

That's correct, it is not. You need to find out which school, and even from which school within the school in some cases, your diploma will be issued from.

I'm looking for it on their site and can't find it. I am fairly certain it will be "University of Illinois at Chicago", but you need to make sure it's from their business school and not anything else.

• Members

That's correct, it is not. You need to find out which school, and even from which school within the school in some cases, your diploma will be issued from.

I'm looking for it on their site and can't find it. I am fairly certain it will be "University of Illinois at Chicago", but you need to make sure it's from their business school and not anything else.

I wonder if they changed it....because here is the first site I was on and the adminissions advisor I spoke to gave me the website I posted above.

http://global.uillinois.edu/business-programs/bachelor-of-business-administration-degree-completion-program/

Archived