Finishing School....

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

Good luck Kate. IMO, the business admin degree would be more enriching and versatile than accounting.

Of course....I hate accounting so I'm bias.
:p

She will be more immediately job-worthy with the accounting training, however.

Can't go wrong with either, though.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's my intention that the company I'm with now will be my career. I have every intention of working here for the next 30 years.

If the world were perfect and reliable - I wouldn't need the bachelors.

Robert Morris also offers a dual degree BBA/MBA - I'll have to ask tonight about that. Maybe they can get me into that even though I don't have an associates degree - as I probably have 90 credits completed....

It's been a while since I've been in this situation but I've learned quite a bit about wheeling and dealing though :D

• Members

I understand.

I think just about everybody should go to the cheapest acceptable school they can for undergraduate school, unless the expensive school has a one-of-a-kind program, or they
know
they will be done after undergraduate school.

Agreed.

Especially if her long term plans involve an MBA, where the school will definately matter and she still has long enough in the work force where a top tier school will pay off long term, she should save her cash for that.

• Members

I would argue that point, but it's moot anyway. Kate is already getting experience on one path at a job she want's to remain at.

So the school matters a lot more with an MBA?

It seems like the BA is just a peice of paper I need to get and it doesn't really matter where from.

Should I not try and do the dual BBA/MBA at Robert Morris? I know there are so many colleges in Chicago that offer MBA programs....

• Members

So the school matters a lot more with an MBA?

The school matters more for the last degree you get. I have no idea how Robert Morris stacks up but you have a lot of choices around this area and you should look into the rankings before you choose a place for your MBA.

The general rule I've been told is if you have 20+ years left in the work force going to a higher ranked school will pay off. Less than that, you might not see the full benefit.

Ultimately it comes down to what you really want the degree for and if you truly will go on to grad school. Just consider that not all degrees are equal.

• Members

The school matters more for the last degree you get. I have no idea how Robert Morris stacks up but you have a lot of choices around this area and you should look into the rankings before you choose a place for your MBA.

The general rule I've been told is if you have 20+ years left in the work force going to a higher ranked school will pay off. Less than that, you might not see the full benefit.

Ultimately it comes down to what you really want the degree for and if you truly will go on to grad school. Just consider that not all degrees are equal.

Big +1 on this. A lot of "Degree Mills" are popping up, and I've been finding out that a lot of employers don't consider their degrees legitimate.

I used to think a degree was just a piece of paper that you bought from some business that's just out to make a buck... now I'm regretting that mentality, and have to work twice as hard to get that paper.

My first semester back starts next Monday. I'm on the 8-year plan. :D

• Members

Although you do make me think about this from another perspective.

I could just take the time off work and take out a {censored} ton of loans to cover expenses and get it done. The only thing keeping me from doing that is my job. I love it and am worried about missing out by taking two years off. Even though I KNOW with out a doubt that they would welcome me back....

I'm going to have to chew on that idea a bit :D

• Members

I could just take the time off work and take out a {censored} ton of loans to cover expenses and get it done. The only thing keeping me from doing that is my job. I love it and am worried about missing out by taking two years off. Even though I KNOW with out a doubt that they would welcome me back....

I'm going to have to chew on that idea a bit
:D

Holy {censored}, I wish I had that option!

• Moderators

If you love your job/company, I'd stick with it and get the degree on a part-time basis. If you polled most people, they dislike their jobs, even if they have a degree from the school that they really wanted to go to. I wouldn't trust taking 2 years off from a job and still having an opening available in that same company when I am done. Even if in all honesty and sincerity they tell you you would be welcome back, a lot of things about the economy/workforce can change in 2 years. I also think you received some really good advice from catphish and jasper383 that you should be careful to make sure the school you choose has a good reputation. I see enough resumes come across my desk from schools that lack credibility. But those are the really small, "diploma mills" as one person put it.

• Moderators

For undergrad NU is not even an option. They don't offer a BBA.

I was just joking about NU, as it's a Big Ten opponent of Illinois. ;):lol:

I would think that between all the decent DI/DII/DIII colleges and universities in Chicagoland that Kate would have a a decent choice of programs from which to choose.

• Members

This is not the time to willingly give up a job. Friends of mine are looking for work, and employers literally get hundreds of resumes for each open position. It takes several weeks just to review the applications.

I'm sure your employer would want to welcome you back (who wouldn't ;)), but that doesn't mean that they'll actually be able to. Nobody knows what the economy and your employer's situation will be like two years from now. If you like your job, keep it and go to school part time. This is not the time to be rolling the dice with employment.

• Members

I was just joking about NU, as it's a Big Ten opponent of Illinois.
;):lol:

I would think that between all the decent DI/DII/DIII colleges and universities in Chicagoland that Kate would have a a decent choice of programs from which to choose.

Yeah but with all those options I'm a little lost right now....

I'm willing to pay for a decent school - and I don't want to spend time and $$ going to a school that ends up being a laughing stock on my resume.

• Members

I was just joking about NU, as it's a Big Ten opponent of Illinois.
;):lol:

I know, I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to pimp my own school.

There are tons of options for her. If all she wants is a sense of personal accomplishment than it doesn't matter much. If she want's to maximize the ROI on her schooling she should consider that all degrees aren't equal. That was my only point. I believe that U of I does offer a MBA program in Chicago, but undergrad is less likely.

Northern Illinois has a good b-school which might not be too horrible of a commute.

• Members

I'm willing to pay for a decent school - and I don't want to spend time and $$ going to a school that ends up being a laughing stock on my resume.

Just do your homework on the different programs.

Another thing to consider is that you don't need any particular degree to go on to your MBA, and your work experience will play a big part in your consideration for acceptance.

• Moderators

You could always post a list of them all and have people chime in with pros/cons of each. If you haven't noticed, part of this forum's job is spending other people's money.:lol:

• Members

Just do your homework on the different programs.

Another thing to consider is that you don't need any particular degree to go on to your MBA, and your work experience will play a big part in your consideration for acceptance.

Another thought I had when doing this research is - If I get my associates degree, there are a lot more options. A LOT more....ISU has a business degree entirely online, if I had my associates.

So maybe I transfer my {censored} ton of credits to Harod Washington - pay $70/credit to get my little AAS/Accounting and open up my options. You guys have me worried and I don't know how Robert Morris ranks. Besides they are asininely expensive. If I knock out the Associates I could work on something at Depaul, Roosevelt, ISU, UIC....any number of things.....

my brain hurts :cry:

• Members

I'm taking all of my core classes online from the community college, that will transfer to Portland State University. The CC is much cheaper, easier, and works better into my schedule (mainly because I can do all the classes online). And, my company reimburses my tuition/books, since the degree is directly related to my work.

Have you checked into that, BHK?

• Members

Awesome
:lol:
Good luck to you too sir!

Bachelors in Business Administration or Accounting. I'm looking at Robert Morris right now. They have a full time flex program that allows full time working adults to go to school full time - so that this doesn't take me so much time.

Then I want to continue straight onto an MBA while I have the momentum.

I've got a {censored} ton of music credits that aren't really going to transfer anywhere (except as possible electives) - and I've finally gotten done paying off those loans
:facepalm:

U of Delaware had a similar program for a Mid Career Cohort Program for Masters and Public Administration. I work for the Gov't full time. I was able to finish my MPA in four years. It is not that bad.

The part time deal sounds like the best fit for you.:thu:

• Members

Another thought I had when doing this research is - If I get my associates degree, there are a lot more options. A LOT more....ISU has a business degree entirely online, if I had my associates.

So maybe I transfer my {censored} ton of credits to Harod Washington - pay $70/credit to get my little AAS/Accounting and open up my options. You guys have me worried and I don't know how Robert Morris ranks. Besides they are asininely expensive. If I knock out the Associates I could work on something at Depaul, Roosevelt, ISU, UIC....any number of things.....

my brain hurts
:cry:

I would suggest a large, inexpensive program there in the city. Lots of graduates, everyone knows the name. In my experience, if people have heard the name, and/or know someone who went there, that is as important as anything in the business world.

Now, MBA school is different. Where you went is more important, but not by a whole lot.

Plus, it sounds like you already have some good connections already.

Archived