Finishing School....

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

I know I have to do it. I'm going through the research and selection process now.

The cost of convenience for programs tailored around full time working adult schedules is astounding. I could do this for so much cheaper if I could take a year or two off. It's astronomical how much they charge for the flexibility.

I guess it'll have to be worth the trade off though....I've got so many credits that are useless (music perfomrance major).

I have to grab the educational bull by the horns, pony up the cash and just get through it.....

There goes my new truck :) - not looking forward to getting so far in debt either....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There goes my new truck
:)
- not looking forward to getting so far in debt either....

Two things you should not let money get in the way of:

1.) Your education

and...

2.) Good dental hygiene

I bit the bullet and went back to school this year. Good luck!!

• Members

Where are you looking to go and what are you looking to major in? AND I'm with you on the $$$ for convenience. I'm borrowing a bunch of money for school.

Bachelors in Business Administration or Accounting. I'm looking at Robert Morris right now. They have a full time flex program that allows full time working adults to go to school full time - so that this doesn't take me so much time.

Then I want to continue straight onto an MBA while I have the momentum.

I've got a {censored} ton of music credits that aren't really going to transfer anywhere (except as possible electives) - and I've finally gotten done paying off those loans :facepalm:

• Members

For all the joking and whatnot, I think you should do it. Having that piece of paper on the wall and being able to put that into a resume is a door opener. If you have the degree and the person that you are competing with does not, it may be the clincher that you get the job over a rival.

• Members

I know I have to do it. I'm going through the research and selection process now.

The cost of convenience for programs tailored around full time working adult schedules is astounding. I could do this for so much cheaper if I could take a year or two off. It's astronomical how much they charge for the flexibility.

I guess it'll have to be worth the trade off though....I've got so many credits that are useless (music perfomrance major).

I have to grab the educational bull by the horns, pony up the cash and just get through it.....

There goes my new truck
:)
- not looking forward to getting so far in debt either....

Good for you Kate!!!

• Members

For all the joking and whatnot, I think you should do it. Having that piece of paper on the wall and being able to put that into a resume is a door opener. If you have the degree and the person that you are competing with does not, it may be the clincher that you get the job over a rival.

I've got a great job and I'm the owner's pet. This job is mine as long as I want it and I have tons of room for advancement. One thing is - as a consultant - we occasionally run into clients where a bachelor's is a minimum requirement. Secondly - what if something happens to my boss? If he dies and the rest of the partners decide to disolve and go their seperate ways....all I have is two years experience.

Granted - he's taught me more real world business than I could ever hope to learn at school. He's a god damned genious (if a bit erratic) but that expensive peice of paper something I'm going to need to do....

I'm just apprehensive about it. I've tried going back before and I always get interrupted. I'm going be 30 and not have a degree :facepalm:

Why???? I turned down full ride academic scholarships to move from a farm to Chicago so that I could become a musician....

• Members

I got my associates in accounting at 29 and my bachelors in computer science when I was 35. Took me 5 years to get my AS going part time and another 4 of > part time but not full time to get my BS CS. You can do it and it's never too late! The oldest person in my AS graduating class was 89!

• Members

I got my associates in accounting at 29 and my bachelors in computer science when I was 35. Took me 5 years to get my AS going part time and another 4 of > part time but not full time to get my BS CS. You can do it and it's never too late! The oldest person in my AS graduating class was 89!

Awesome....

• Members

Two things I have never, ever heard anyone say they regret: paying off their house, and getting their degree.

I regret getting such an expensive degree. If I hadn't gone to private school, I wouldn't have $30K in student loan debt. I'd be swimming in gear.

Of course, then I wouldn't have met my lady.

• Members

I regret getting such an expensive degree. If I hadn't gone to private school, I wouldn't have $30K in student loan debt. I'd be swimming in gear.

The lady will be far more expensive than the degree in the long run.

• Members

I understand.

I think just about everybody should go to the cheapest acceptable school they can for undergraduate school, unless the expensive school has a one-of-a-kind program, or they know they will be done after undergraduate school.

I know people with an undergraduate degree in sociology or history, and they have $100K+ in loans. Dude.

Archived