OT: Anne Coulter FTL..

zachoff

• Members
Are they? I admit I'm unclear as to what, exactly, happened. Coulter's people are saying that the students were "threatening", but were there any actual threats? Or were there protests, and Coulter's people decided to milk this for more than it was worth, cancel, and blame the "threatening" students, saying that it wasn't safe for her to appear?

Coulter was schedueled to speak, recieved a veiled letter from university academic vice-president Francois Houle about hate-speech being a crime in Canada, showed up to a mob, cancelled, and is now the bad guy. glad I could catch you up! :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Coulter was schedueled to speak, recieved a veiled letter from the Dean about hate-speech being a crime in Canada, showed up to a mob, cancelled, and is now the bad guy. glad I could catch you up!
:D

Judging by the comments quoted in the article from her previous speech, she needed the reminder.

She's a real life troll, doesn't matter what political side your on.

• Members

She sure stirred up a storm at my Alma Mater the other night.

I honestly can't believe why people care? They show up knowing they will be on her radar, then provoke her, then cry foul? Get a {censored}ing life!

Argue and protest over something more important than one troll's viewpoint.

• Members

Both.

Apparently hate speech is illegal in Canada. Coulter saying Muslims should ride a camel or a flying carpet instead of an airplane could be taken as hate speech... Even if she later said she was joking. Seems pretty cut & dry to me.

• Members

If a land is going to claim to be free, hate speech has to be tolerated, hence "should." I'm sorry you don't understand that. It also seems perfectly fine for the Euros and Canuckistans to tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing. It's all fair on HCBF.

I understand it fine... I'm just posting what is, not what should be. I think people should be free to say what they want, but I also think other people are free to respond. These folks responded through protest, Coulter chickened out, and now the right's trying to spin it in their favor.

• Members

No. I don't know that, considering she has given speeches in Canada in the past.

Not since the Muslim comment. She's a media figure that says a lot of stupid things. She should expect this sort of reaction from time to time. If she (or anyone for that matter) can't take the backlash they need to think before they speak or find a new career.

• Members
I don't agree with Coulter.

The thugs are jackasses and it's a disgrace that they had their way.

I Love Ann Coulter. She is hot (a bit on the skinny side) and she is quite witty. :love: :love:

Most of you guys just don't understand her humor.

• Members

Any parent is familiar with the old 'it was just a joke' routine. It's so old it's got hair on it. It's a bull{censored} excuse for an obviously racist comment.

We teach our children to think before they speak because they need to be responsible for the consequences of their statements. Coulter has the same responsibility.

I would protest a racist addressing my kids. I would protest the KKK, I would protest the American Nazi Party, I would protest Louis Farrakhan and I would protest Anne Coulter, among others. She has nothing positive to offer society other than conflict.

What about the protester's freedom of speech?

• Members

Are they? I admit I'm unclear as to what, exactly, happened. Coulter's people are saying that the students were "threatening", but were there any actual threats? Or were there protests, and Coulter's people decided to milk this for more than it was worth, cancel, and blame the "threatening" students, saying that it wasn't safe for her to appear?

Exactly.

He wanted to speak, they wanted to speak. They had the numbers. He left.

Archived