Anybody here ever play weddings ?

jackcheez

• Members

We've played a couple of weddings. Fortunately none of that stuff (from the video) happened. We've always told those couples that want to hire us that they are getting our band as is (meaning we play what we play not what their guests may want to hear). I enjoyed both weddings that we played.

• Members

That's all just about right, except for the part where the band has to set up at 1:00, even though the wedding is at 7:00, and you cannot appear anywhere in the facilities unless you are dressed in your performance clothes.

:wave:

Yeah, we hate doing weddings, so we price them outrageously. If they want to pay it, fine. :idk:

• Members

We played weddings quite often. Just played one two weeks ago. Never had any issues like this. Not at all, actually. Every wedding we've played has set a table up for us, told us to help ourselves to the food, etc. We HAVE had a couple of volume issues, but we really WERE loud because my guitard can't figure out that there is difference between stage volume and what the crowd hears, especially when it comes to drums.

Never had any issues loading in, never been told what we can/can't wear, etc. We have had some people ask to sit in, and it's never been an issue. The worse they are, the funnier it is and the more I laugh. The more I laugh, the better time I'm having.

• Members

BOSE PAS systems for each member fool them on the "looks too loud" part.

The best way to handle the "too loud" part is this procedure:

1) Get "turn down" request

2) Turn WAY down to the point that the bride,? groom, or one of the parents will complain that it is not loud enough

3) When they say it isn't loud enough, inform them why you turned down? and who told you to

4) Sit back and enjoy the planner getting chewed out by those writing the checks

• Members

Yeah, we hate doing weddings, so we price them outrageously. If they want to pay it, fine.
:idk:

We did that, too. Bumped our prices up an additional $400 (four-piece band), then $600. We were getting $1200-$1400 per wedding. But, set up three or four hours before the event, try to remain invisible until "show time," having to wear those hideous "fu-fu" shirts and cumberbunds, we eventually just quit doing them altogether. The money was great, but you left the house around 10 am to drive, set up, wait, play two hours wearing Seinfeld's fluffy shirt, pack up, drive home, and you were gone about 14 hours. After a while, not worth it.

• Members

Thanks for reminding me. I sometimes get uptight by this. Instead, I should relax and have fun.

Or, just pre-screen your sitins and allow good or better than good musicians up there. :idea:

We do sitins pretty often and in every case the person has made our band shine. Maybe that means we suck and they're just always better, so I guess you could always try that out too. :lol:

• Members

Or, just pre-screen your sitins and allow good or better than good musicians up there.
:idea:

We do sitins pretty often and in every case the person has made our band shine. Maybe that means we suck and they're just always better, so I guess you could always try that out too.
:lol:

I didn't realize weddings were about your band. I thought it was a celebration, and people enjoying themselves... and as far as I am concerned, if people want to see a friend of theirs up on stage singing horribly, that's just dandy.

It amazes me that people would say "no" to someone in a situation like that. Ego much?

• Members

I didn't realize weddings were about your band. I thought it was a celebration, and people enjoying themselves... and as far as I am concerned, if people want to see a friend of theirs up on stage singing horribly, that's just dandy.

It amazes me that people would say "no" to someone in a situation like that. Ego much?

+1

• Members

Thanks for reminding me. I sometimes get uptight by this. Instead, I should relax and have fun.

Assuming everyone is having fun by having horribly drunk 'uncle tom- or whomever' sit in. I think it depends on the wedding. DS has obviously landed some easy going fun folks to play for. Those gigs I'd do.

Up here in ultra conservative land, primadonna brides could run from the room bawling their fake eyelashes right off their face by someone hitting a bad note. Then you have to deal with big mean ole Daddy who forked out the 2K to hire you in the first place. It's a headache I don't need.

On the other hand, we played a family reunion 2 weeks ago. It was FUN! No brides, no drama, no crap.

• Members

Assuming everyone is having fun by having horribly drunk 'uncle tom- or whomever' sit in. I think it depends on the wedding. DS has obviously landed some easy going fun folks to play for. Those gigs I'd do.

Up here in ultra conservative land, primadonna brides could run from the room bawling their fake eyelashes right off their face by someone hitting a bad note. Then you have to deal with big mean ole Daddy who forked out the 2K to hire you in the first place. It's a headache I don't need.

On the other hand, we played a family reunion 2 weeks ago. It was FUN! No brides, no drama, no crap.

True. I certainly come from a completely different area. I guess then, in that situation, I'd just suggest that the person who wanted to sit in get the ok from whoever was in charge.

The negative responses I was commenting on seemed more focused on personal offense than on a disruption to the wedding itself.

• Members

:facepalm:

If my band is getting paid the 4 figures that wedding bands make, any sitin is going to have to be approved of by the guy signing the check or it's a no go.

Archived