What's the main difference between flatwounds and roundwounds?

KATMAN

• Members

Ever since I started playing bass I've been playing roundwounds.Since I hardly ever play hard rock any more,I've been wanting a different sound for the bass.I have a Washburn Bantam bass,a cheapie,but it will do.I'm not a bass player by choice as it is a neccessitiy.I'm going to put faltwounds on my Tele,so I wanted to put them on my bass as well. What's the big difference etween the two kinds of strings?

• Members

Flatwounds are completely smooth. They tear up your left hand far less than roundwounds.

Tonally, flats don't have the high end and presence of rounds. They often have a warmer low end. If you listen to 60s bassists like Jamerson and McCartney, you'll have a good idea of what flats can sound like.

• Members

Another great thing about flats is that they last a long time. While the average rounds player changes his strings every four months or so ( some more often ), flats can last for five years or more, saving you a lot of money. When you do buy a set, make sure you give them up to three weeks or so to break in, depending on how much you play.

• Members

Another great thing about flats is that they last a long time. While the average rounds player changes his strings every four months or so ( some more often ), flats can last for five years or more, saving you a lot of money. When you do buy a set, make sure you give them up to three weeks or so to break in, depending on how much you play.

:thu:

• Members

The difference between rounds and flats is like the difference between a 'Vette and a 'Benz E Class. They both can work very well dependent on the situation, instrument and player. Flats are more for THUMP and/or more traditional sounds. Rounds are for more harmonically rich "piano tone" sounds. So it depends on your goals. Get to really know both, however.

Archived