Sterling Bass...what are your impressions?

streetknight

• Members

Hey guys, wanting to learn to play the bass and trying to find the best bang for my buck on gear, so I'm looking used. I found a Sterling SB-14 on my local CL for $400. Don't know if it's a great deal or even a good instrument.

So far, I've only been able to get my hands on some Fender, Squier, LTD, and a used Peavey to try. So far I like the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass as far as feel goes. Just not sure the Jazz bass will cover all the bases on what I want to play.

Blues, Rock, and Hard Rock (like Tool, Disturbed, etc.)

What are your opinions?

Thanks

• Members

The CLassic vibe is a nice bass for the money. If I were you, I would look at the G&L L2000 Tribute series. Most versatile bang for the buck out there, and I can get some sweet Justin Chancellor-ish tones out of mine. I have a few G&Ls, but I have a Tribute I am selling right now if you are interested. :thu:

;)

I think the sterling is an alright bass for the money, but you can do a lot better if you look into G&L for the around the same money. AND it will be one of those versatile "Last bass you need to buy" type things.

• Members

The CLassic vibe is a nice bass for the money. If I were you, I would look at the G&L L2000 Tribute series. Most versatile bang for the buck out there, and I can get some sweet Justin Chancellor-ish tones out of mine. I have a few G&Ls, but I have a Tribute I am selling right now if you are interested.

PM me with some pics and details if you don't mind.

I'm not stuck on a Sterling. I've owned some USA G&L guitars and they're wonderful.

I also like the looks of the Schecter Model T and Stiletto. Thanks again

• Members

The Sterling By Musicman line is quality. That's a good price too depending on the condition of the bass.

Personally, my advice for anyone on getting a new bass is always to get a P bass. But maybe that's because I've always played one, and no matter how many other basses I purchase or test, I always go back to my MIJ P.

Also, those pictures are delicious. I've never wanted an L-2000 as bad as I do right this moment....

• Members

PM me with some pics and details if you don't mind.

I'm not stuck on a Sterling. I've owned some USA G&L guitars and they're wonderful.

I also like the looks of the Schecter Model T and Stiletto. Thanks again

There's a great review there of that bass. It's really versatile and a beauty to boot.

• Members

The SB-14 is an awesome bass.

HOwever, that $400 price tag is what you'd pay NEW (I did anyway :o). When I sold my candy-apple red one, I got about $275 for it. That's too much but if you can get him down, that will crush any Squier or SX POS.

• Members

The Sterling By Musicman line is quality. That's a good price too depending on the condition of the bass.

Personally, my advice for anyone on getting a new bass is always to get a P bass. But maybe that's because I've always played one, and no matter how many other basses I purchase or test, I always go back to my MIJ P.

Also, those pictures are delicious. I've never wanted an L-2000 as bad as I do right this moment....

Let me help with that!

6ihsakguaz.jpg

• Members

The SB-14 is an awesome bass.

HOwever, that $400 price tag is what you'd pay NEW (I did anyway
:o
). When I sold my candy-apple red one, I got about $275 for it. That's too much but if you can get him down, that will crush any Squier or SX POS.

What you may be able to get a music store to come down in price aside, looks to me like they are going for more like $ 600 new right now. That being the case $ 400 might not be a bad deal. Just sayin'.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey guys, wanting to learn to play the bass and trying to find the best bang for my buck on gear, so I'm looking used. I found a Sterling SB-14 on my local CL for $400. Don't know if it's a great deal or even a good instrument.

So far, I've only been able to get my hands on some Fender, Squier, LTD, and a used Peavey to try. So far I like the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass as far as feel goes. Just not sure the Jazz bass will cover all the bases on what I want to play.

Blues, Rock, and Hard Rock (like Tool, Disturbed, etc.)

What are your opinions?

Thanks

I had a Sterling. Very nice Bass. I just wasn't into the "growl on Steroids" so I returned it and bought a 2004 MIA Jazz. Long story short, been through many different and even inexpensive ones like the Classic Vibe 60's J. It was the best bass for the money. Better than most MIM's, fit, finish, feel and tone were up there. I recently traded it in after playing many of a local store's G&L's and Fender MIM's. I ended up trading up for my 2011 Fender American Special Jazz in Olympic White. BTW: you are hard pressed to see a difference between the two at a short distance. It was a good bass but this one is better (maybe not 2.5 times the cost better but better)

Archived