Voices in my amp?

Flatball

• Members

Since I moved to my new place, when I practice I get some kind of stray signal coming through my amp. It's voices but I can't tell if it's radio, telecom, emergency band, etc.

Any body know what is happening, and why?

And what can I do about it?

Thanks

• Members

Most likely it's a high-power AM radio station or amateur radio station broadcasting close by. Some amps have picofarad caps and/or ferrite bead inductors at key places to reduce this kind of interference, could also be a grounding or bass shielding issue. You might try plugging your amp into a different outlet of changing the position of your amp in your practice space if that's practical.

• Members

Broken shielding in you cable is a common cause. Try a different cable. Or if you don't have one take the cable out of the bass and see if it still happens, then out of the amp.

One should never let reality or truth stand in the way of a good story. :mad:

It's GUL talking to Flatball.

• Members

It's probably cell phones. I used to practice in my living room at my house on a main street and when people drove by I could hear them coming out of my amp as they talked on their cells. I would hear a voice in my amp, glance out, and see them on their phones. It would fade as they drove past a little. This happened no matter what bass I was using.

• Members

Your amp is acting as a radio! Most guitar and bass amps were designed from old radio circuitry, so it's not uncommon for this to happen. However most amps will incorporate caps or inductors along the signal chain to reduce the unwanted noises.

Check your guitar cable. Worst case scenario a cap came unsoldered. You can probably just avoid it by moving the cab around.

• Members

it's usually not the instrument. something along the chain. i've had the man in my amp before and it has come from a stomp box.

that said, a cell phone will cause interference on my active bass.

maybe if you tried |_/\// cables? make sure they're in the right direction.

• Members

It's probably cell phones. I used to practice in my living room at my house on a main street and when people drove by I could hear them coming out of my amp as they talked on their cells. I would hear a voice in my amp, glance out, and see them on their phones. It would fade as they drove past a little. This happened no matter what bass I was using.

How many years ago was this where you would hear people talking on their phones? They banned Analog phones in 2008. NOISE from cellphones, for sure...voices...no way.

You could never hear voices from digital cell phones, it is impossible for your amp to demodulate the data signal to analog so you could hear them talking, no way no how. There is nothing in an amp that has the capability to use the same D/A converter a cellphone has and the carriers have not used analog cellphones for 5 years.

OTOH, AM/FM/SSB/FSK or any other NON digital signal crossing your path that is leaking into your signal chain starting from the pickups to the amp you will hear voices...oh ya it happens all the time with a cheap cables/pickups/amps.

I would start with your cables or anything that has lack of shielding first like the others said.

• Members

SOT: when i wanted to eavesdrop on my folks conversations when i was a kid i would plug this cheap mic i had into my big muff and a set of headphones. then just fire up the pi and point the mic in whatever direction of the house they were in. i could do this in my bedroom on one side of the house and hear every word they said.

got the heads up on em and saved my ass a few times.

• Members

How many years ago was this where you would hear people talking on their phones? They banned Analog phones in 2008. NOISE from cellphones, for sure...voices...no way.

You could never hear voices from digital cell phones, it is impossible for your amp to demodulate the data signal to analog so you could hear them talking, no way no how. There is nothing in an amp that has the capability to use the same D/A converter a cellphone has and the carriers have not used analog cellphones for 5 years.

OTOH, AM/FM/SSB/FSK or any other NON digital signal crossing your path that is leaking into your signal chain starting from the pickups to the amp you will hear voices...oh ya it happens all the time with a cheap cables/pickups/amps.

I would start with your cables or anything that has lack of shielding first like the others said.

This was until 5 years ago when I sold the house.

• Members

the best fun we had as teens was cruising around in the cars with the CB radio with an illegal amp. We had outdoor concerts we used to park on an opposite hill a good 1/8th mile away, key up thru my twin Avanti Firesticks with 3-400 watts and watch thru binoculars as we totally DESTROYED the PA gear and the tube amps the bands used back then just to watch them running around like idiots trying to figure out WTF was going on...

( only when the band sucked naturally..... ) :rolleyes:

and at the house with a PDL2 or a moonraker with a 1000 watt amp...hahaha my neighbors heard me come thru everything radio/tv/phones/hearing aids.....for blocks.

and the old analog drive thru fast food systems....oh, hahahahahahahha

"thank you for choosing BurgerKing can I help you" ----

"yes can I have 2 #6 combos you f*****g ass**** and hurry the f*** up ya f****t c**t"

just to watch the reaction of the employee from across the parking lot.

( I wonder how many customers got the SPECIAL SAUCE?? )

my point? {censored}, I've heard voices out of my amp PLENTY of times in the good old days. Only the first time scares you.

YA I"M OLD ;)

Archived