Who here plays bass AND sings lead vocals?

Mermph

• Members

I find it alot easier to play bass and sing than it was to play guitar and sing. And it tends to be even easier to sing when you let your playing shadow the vocals. Along the lines of Al Cisneros in OM. Even referring back to Geezer Butler/Ozzy vibe of Paranoid/Master Of Reality. Simply put.... Sing what you play.... err.... if that makes any sense at all.

• Moderators

I find it alot easier to play bass and sing than it was to play guitar and sing. And it tends to be even easier to sing when you let your playing shadow the vocals. Along the lines of Al Cisneros in OM. Even referring back to Geezer Butler/Ozzy vibe of Paranoid/Master Of Reality. Simply put.... Sing what you play.... err.... if that makes any sense at all.

I find that that is rarely an option on bass. Much more common on guitar.

• Members

I do. And here's an old, scrapped band demo video to prove it (I'm the dude in the tie to the right - this was scrapped because the video was so {censored}ty):

It comes fairly easy to me now, but it took a while...the "pat head, rub belly" songs with a complicated line that differs from the main melody are the hardest. I've played "Superstition", "This Love", "Super Freak", "Brick House" to varying degrees of success. Each time they work it feels like a victory, though. :)

Brian V.

• Moderators

For 37 years. :) When I first started doing it, I would take apart the bass line and find where certain words in the vocal line synced up. Downbeats, upbeats, etc. Just getting a feel for commonalties. If you keep time with your foot and you have a map of where things line up, it's not bad. But taking it apart, completely apart, analyzing each part separately and together... that's the key to becoming solid at it.

Watch Sting when he's on. The guy is one of the best at it. Jack Bruce, Paul Mc.

• Members

I am the bassist and lead vocalist in my band. Been doing it about a year now. I was a solo guitarist vocalist for about 27 years, started a band 5 years ago and was rhythm guitarist for the first 4 years. I really love playing bass! And yes, it's a bit of a trick to learn how to sing lead and play bass. Lots of good advice hear about breaking it down, analyzing what lyrics and notes line up on certain phrases etc.

We had two very good bassists and for various reasons parted ways with both of them (two years each). I had owned a bass for about 6 years but only played it once in a while for fun. I'm really glad it worked out the way it did. I probably would have practiced bass for 20 years before I ever had the guts to try to put myself out there as a bass player in a real working band situation. As it was, the lead guitarist and drummer just said look, we think you can do this. Let's try it. So in effect, it was a step in situation - I had two bandmates who already knew our 60 or 70 songs. Two guys I was really comfortable with and had been in a band with for 4 years already. So I practiced mega hours for a few months and got those songs down pretty well.

I was determined that I would not dumb down all the cool parts. It's pretty fun playing the real Zeppelin and Beatles bass parts - those aren't easy to sing over! There are still a handful on our old setlist that I haven't pulled back up yet - but I'm working on it.

I have a lot to learn, but I really love playing bass! I had a blast this weekend. Also found out on Friday that our band got runner up in the local paper's "Best of" deal. That's pretty cool, first place went to an awesome rocking country band that has been around 20 years, that coincidently - is the only other band in town with a female lead singer bassist! ;) They totally deserved it, I'm just flattered to get second, myself. I didn't campaign for votes either, and there are at least 20 soloists and 20 bands in this town. Wow.

Right now I feel about 25 years old, playing with these guys. Driver's licence says I am pushing 50. LOL

• Members

Well...

I just started singing for the first time in my life, at age 52.

I think I have Wicked Game and Turn the Page down. Moving on from that.
And yes, I either play bass or keys or both while singing...

My voice is really deep, not quite Barry White...
Those high notes are a huge stretch for me. I might need a pedal to help out...

• Members

It comes fairly easy to me now, but it took a while...the "pat head, rub belly" songs with a complicated line that differs from the main melody are the hardest. I've played "Superstition", "This Love", "Super Freak", "Brick House" to varying degrees of success. Each time they work it feels like a victory, though.
:)
Brian V.

I think you are doing a great job!!! Very talented.Man that guitarist looks exactly like a dude I've known since the 70s!!! Is his name Jeff Young?Is he originally from Mt.Carmel Il.?This dude(jeff) moved to Texas in the eighties,and I have not seen,or heard from him since.

• Members

I think you are doing a great job!!! Very talented.Man that guitarist looks exactly like a dude I've known since the 70s!!! Is his name Jeff Young?Is he originally from Mt.Carmel Il.?This dude(jeff) moved to Texas in the eighties,and I have not seen,or heard from him since.

Thanks for the compliment! I definitely appreciate it. Unfortunately, that's not Jeff...the guy on guitar in the video's originally from south Jersey (his name is Ned - he posts here sometimes as ned911). There is a Jeff Young who plays around town here, though. Maybe it's the same guy?

Brian V.

• Members
I'm practicing but it is hard.
:mad:

I did for years. People keep making me play guitar, banjo, accordion lately.

Bass tends to be a lot harder to play and sing lead. Especially since I always played fretless.

And I never made it easy on myself writing parts that were synced with the vocals.

That said. Keep it up. It is very very good training for being a musician in general.

I used to do what others have suggested, simplify the bass part while singing. Eventually I didn't have to.

Just keep practicing. It is really good training. I feel my brain go to that place when I'm singing and improvising at the same time now, even if I'm on a more melodic instrument and can have parts more syncd.

• Members

Heck man, you did a great job. Wish I could sing and play that well, that consistently. Seeing that reminded me of something I had long forgotten; BITD I use to use a pick a lot and for some reason it was always easier for me to sing when using a pick. I do mostly harmony backups now so no real need to switch back but it does make me wonder a bit.

• Members

Thanks for the compliment! I definitely appreciate it. Unfortunately, that's not Jeff...the guy on guitar in the video's originally from south Jersey (his name is Ned - he posts here sometimes as ned911). There is a Jeff Young who plays around town here, though. Maybe it's the same guy?

Brian V.

Thanx for the reply.The Jeff Young I'm talking about would be early 50s.Last I heard he was in the Midland area.Ned looks dead up like Jeff did last time I saw him.(Probably 20-22 years ago so I figured it probably wasn't him).Back on topic,you seem to have an excellent range,and pitch control,and your playing is just what the part requires.Impressive!!!

• Members

Heck man, you did a great job. Wish I could sing and play that well, that consistently. Seeing that reminded me of something I had long forgotten; BITD I use to use a pick a lot and for some reason it was always easier for me to sing when using a pick. I do mostly harmony backups now so no real need to switch back but it does make me wonder a bit.

For me it varies, but I will say that the fact that the pick's dynamics are a little more uniform makes it a little easier sometimes to be consistent with the line and the groove while singing. I know there are a lot of "fingers purists" in our community, but I care more about getting the right attack and sound when reproducing a song, and a great pick line played with fingers can sometimes lose all its edge (unless the fingerstyle bassist is using his nails like a pick - that can work very well). Sweet Child O' Mine is actually a great example - that sounds nowhere near as good when played with fingers, at least when I've heard it done - I'm sure someone could figure out a way to make it work if they used the "nails as plectrum" technique. :)

:thu:

Brian V.

• Members

Thanx for the reply.The Jeff Young I'm talking about would be early 50s.Last I heard he was in the Midland area.Ned looks dead up like Jeff did last time I saw him.(Probably 20-22 years ago so I figured it probably wasn't him).Back on topic,you seem to have an excellent range,and pitch control,and your playing is just what the part requires.Impressive!!!

Thank you very much!

Brian V.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I, too, find it easier to play with a pick and sing. At this point, I'm in a 3 piece doing a good amount of New Wave. The pick seems to make one less to think about. Which is why I say I'll never play a 5 string. I'd have to think about what I'm playing. Playing a "Blues Walk" is hard for me to play and sing.

I keep threatening to work up "Is She Really Going Out With Him". It's a bit of challenge to play and. When we used to play "Talking IN Your Sleep", I'd have to put the playing on Auto Pilot. It just takes a little practice.

Archived