I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

*is pondering some help desk positions with the uni IT behemoth*

One is an hourly wage, PT position (30 hrs) to " provide assistance to end-users" yadda yadda. To wit:

http://as400.hrs.virginia.edu/cgi-bi...%20J03BA%20001

The other two *salaried* positions are intended to "provide _advanced_ technical support for a department or in an IT HelpDesk setting." To wit:

http://as400.hrs.virginia.edu/cgi-bi...%20J03BB%20002

I'm wondering how much weight they put on this word "advanced"... followed by all the language in the last few sentences about "advanced understanding of computing infrastructure and network topology is required..." confused.giffrown.gif

Meanwhile I'm getting ready to apply for an M.T. degree program as a less well paid alternative career. thumb.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

*is pondering some help desk positions with the uni IT behemoth*

One is an hourly wage, PT position (30 hrs) to " provide assistance to end-users" yadda yadda. To wit:

http://as400.hrs.virginia.edu/cgi-bi...%20J03BA%20001

The other two *salaried* positions are intended to "provide _advanced_ technical support for a department or in an IT HelpDesk setting." To wit:

http://as400.hrs.virginia.edu/cgi-bi...%20J03BB%20002

I'm wondering how much weight they put on this word "advanced"... followed by all the language in the last few sentences about "advanced understanding of computing infrastructure and network topology is required..." confused.giffrown.gif

Meanwhile I'm getting ready to apply for an M.T. degree program as a less well paid alternative career. thumb.gif

The first job looks like a distinct possibility. The 2nd one looks like they may actually want you to know a bit more about computers and such wink.gif

The first one's probably a good one for getting up to the 2nd.

• Members

Morning, morning,

morning, morning,

the kids better be no trouble.

With one good eye,

and snow that high,

she has to go out and shovel.

She'll take care of hers,

make sure their warm,

and make them wear their coats.

She cooks at school,

"not this again".

"Shut up and eat your oats".

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

The first job looks like a distinct possibility. The 2nd one looks like they may actually want you to know a bit more about computers and such wink.gif

The first one's probably a good one for getting up to the 2nd.

I had a feeling you'd say that. frown.gifbiggrin.gif

But hell, it beats bagging groceries...

• Members

I had a feeling you'd say that. frown.gifbiggrin.gif

But hell, it beats bagging groceries...

Partly, it depends on how well you can fake it on that 2nd one. At some point, you might need to know a thing or two but you could probably pick up a few things in your "getting used to the place" time. That way you could continue to bs your way through things until you start getting a bit more comfy.

If you want to try that route, brush up on some buzzwords and maybe learn how to do a few things. It may be that the people interviewing you are just managers that think they're technical but really aren't. Gravy if that's the case biggrin.gif

• Members

Partly, it depends on how well you can fake it on that 2nd one. At some point, you might need to know a thing or two but you could probably pick up a few things in your "getting used to the place" time. That way you could continue to bs your way through things until you start getting a bit more comfy.

If you want to try that route, brush up on some buzzwords and maybe learn how to do a few things. It may be that the people interviewing you are just managers that think they're technical but really aren't. Gravy if that's the case biggrin.gif

Nah, you're right the first time. The hiring manager(s) will smell me out immediately, and that's before I get a chance to be my usual too-honest self. biggrin.gif

Not to mention, I'd probably depend on the networking from a friend of mine who was high up the food chain there, and just left to take a position elsewhere in a uni-related undergrad business school foundation. As in, I wouldn't want to damage his credibility... wink.gif

• Members

Nah, you're right the first time. The hiring manager(s) will smell me out immediately, and that's before I get a chance to be my usual too-honest self. biggrin.gif

Not to mention, I'd probably depend on the networking from a friend of mine who was high up the food chain there, and just left to take a position elsewhere in a uni-related undergrad business school foundation. As in, I wouldn't want to damage his credibility... wink.gif

Ahhh. See, I've had to pump myself up a bit over what I could really do in the past just to get into better positions. Actually, it's pretty much the way of IT. Everyone's got a resume that paints them as demi-gods. It's whether they can pull it off in interviews. We've started pulling some more highly technical interviews to weed out the fakers but there's still plenty of places that don't.

Still, that first one seems reasonable for starting off.

• Members

Ahhh. See, I've had to pump myself up a bit over what I could really do in the past just to get into better positions. Actually, it's pretty much the way of IT. Everyone's got a resume that paints them as demi-gods. It's whether they can pull it off in interviews. We've started pulling some more highly technical interviews to weed out the fakers but there's still plenty of places that don't.

Still, that first one seems reasonable for starting off.

Don't get me wrong, they'll get the advertising pitch in my resume (which will be short on actual IT content smack.gif ) and cover letter, but I don't push anything beyond reason - i.e., beyond what I can defend in conversation.

Kind of like an IRS audit... biggrin.gif

• Members

Don't get me wrong, they'll get the advertising pitch in my resume (which will be short on actual IT content smack.gif ) and cover letter, but I don't push anything beyond reason - i.e., beyond what I can defend in conversation.

Kind of like an IRS audit... biggrin.gif

The thing in IT is to know enough buzzwords to make it seem like you aren't pushing it, though tongue.gif

• Members

The thing in IT is to know enough buzzwords to make it seem like you aren't pushing it, though tongue.gif

Then I'm sunk.

frown.gif

node...SQL...DBA...LAN...ping...batch...I know a few words, but I only know what a few actually mean...