I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

No, I mean looking for curves = comparing students to one another = often not a good thing when most students will not get A's, and some are guaranteed to be in the basement, every time.

There are other criterion-based assessment strategies that compare a student's performance to past performance, and give all students publicly delineated standards to shoot for (rubrics of the type "Do X and get a C (or some numerical score out of ten, twenty, 100, whatever...). Do X, and Y, and get a B. Do X, Y, and Z in an outstanding way, and get an A." And a lot of asking students, "now that you know what the publicly available standards for this class are, how can I help you reach them?"

That sort of thing.

I misspoke earlier. I didn't have 8 project/exams at that writing, I had 12-13. mad.gif

Right now I think I'm down to about 9 or 10. One's really minor, but other than that.... frown.gif

Oof. Going to bed soon, since I got one big project done earlier than I expected. thumb.giffreak.gif

I gotcha. It's just that, sis-in-law graded on a curve for the first test because the test scores would have been much worse otherwise wink.gif The ones that failed had failed regardless of what method she might use, she was just trying to get some decent scores to some of the students. Like I said, at a straight 70% = C, 70% of the class failed the test.

12-13. Slacker tongue.gif

*runs off*

I'm happy not having a large workload right now. Given that I'm on 3 different projects with one of our biggest money-making applications, I know I'll end up swamped next year. Right now I've got a few small things and a cluster{censored} rolleyes.gif It's at least entertaining in a "watching a train wreck as it's happening, hoping no one was on the train" kind of way wink.gif

• Members

So, that editor from CNet was found dead, finally. I can't decide if he was a hero for trying to look for help or a dumbass for going into a damn drainage area without being all that well clothed (seems as though he got hypothermia and started shedding clothing).

Sad, though. He's got a 7-month old and a 4 year old frown.gif

I'm hoping that I'll be smart enough to pack some proper gear should I find myself in that kind of weather.

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

So, that editor from CNet was found dead, finally. I can't decide if he was a hero for trying to look for help or a dumbass for going into a damn drainage area without being all that well clothed (seems as though he got hypothermia and started shedding clothing).

I'm hoping that I'll be smart enough to pack some proper gear should I find myself in that kind of weather.

WTF? freak.gif

Backstory, now, dammit. mad.gif

biggrin.gif

And btw...I've never seen a hypothermic person shed clothes unless sopping wet, or until the first aid recovery bit with another person in a sleeping bag. confused.gif

• Members

Apparently by setting out on foot, somebody in a chopper was able to spot his tracks and trace them back to the broken down car, saving his wife and kids.

Poor guy. frown.gif

• Members

It's a sad story, but one that repeats itself every year in Oregon. Travellers get off the main highways and try to take a shortcut across the Cascades or the Coastal Range. Most of the roads are impassible in winter.

It's a tragedy, but a little common sense would have averted it. Don't travel in the mountains unless you're prepared.

• Members

Originally posted by bringtherock

Apparently by setting out on foot, somebody in a chopper was able to spot his tracks and trace them back to the broken down car, saving his wife and kids.

Poor guy. frown.gif

From what I heard, they actually traced the car from the wife's cell phone. They got a ping off her phone, basically.

I tend to agree with Thumper. Don't go screwing around in the mountains unless you're ready for it. I also wonder why the guy just didn't turn around? Don't you start seeing a bit of snow and think, "mmmm, maybe this isn't such a hot idea", possibly? My wife suspects a bit of Korean male stubbornness going on (with a last name of Kim, it's a pretty solid bet he's Korean since we know he's Asian from the photos).

No one seems to know why the guy was in a drainage area, either. Seems odd.

It's sad. The guy could have just stayed with the car and been fine. His attempt to save his family caused his death. Jokes have already started about an editor from CNet not having GPS on him, etc. (he was a CNet editor and on TechTV).

Props to a quick thinking mom, though, for breast feeding the 4 year old as well as the 7 month old.

Zamfir: I was surprised by the clothes thing, too, but apparently one of the stages of hypothermia is that you feel super warm and start ditching clothing to cool off. Or, at least, that's what some of the reports are saying and I've heard some others commenting on it as well.

• Members

I've got a 3-5 page paper to write, due on Monday, plus a take-home test also due Monday.

That and work's driving me nuts. At least I have an interview on Monday.

ugh I feel for you man. frown.gif That's nuts, plus with work you must be ready to pull your hair out.

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

WTF? freak.gif

And btw...I've never seen a hypothermic person shed clothes unless sopping wet, or until the first aid recovery bit with another person in a sleeping bag. confused.gif

People begin to hallucinate in the terminal stages of hypothermia. They feel too warm, and start to take off clothes. Once you get to that point, you're pretty much done.

• Members

The hallucinations I knew about. I never recalled any symptom of a sensation of being warm, though...granted, it's been 20-25 years since I learned about it. I just knew hypothermic people get sleepy, sit down, and don't like to move or respond very well to verbal prompts...but shedding clothes? That's a new one to me...