Eb Tuning

dughaze

• Members

Over the years I have had to take on the singing duties and I have become used to playing guitar and singing in Eb. Is it wrong or amateurish to look for bass players and other guitarists to play in this tuning?

I have become so accustomed to having the strings a little slacker, and to me they sound better, and it puts almost all songs we sing right where I can sing them decently...:confused:

• Members

I don't see why anyone else would have a problem playing in Eb. If that is where you will sound best, why would they want to play any different key's? It all comes down to the music. If it works in Eb and sounds best, why would anyone want to change it?

• Members

we replaced our lead singer and a rythem guitar player last year with one guy who could sing lead, play rythem, and play lead. his only thing was we had to tune a half step down. at first i was kinda iffy about it. but with my bass properly set up for this it really is not a big deal. a lot of the songs that we do i had to drop down a half step to learn them. we also have a female lead singer. on her songs we stay in standard tuning. forturnately, we all have several guitars apiece so it is no problem. i say go for it.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

• Members

The problem is how and when to approach it with others that I need to tune down.

I don't want to walk up to people and go "hi my name is Doug and I sound best tuned down a half step". When do I tell them ask them or whatever? After I really suck at tuning to where they are at? Do I put it in the ad for a bass player I'm going to put in the music store tomorrow?

I think I lost a great prospective bass player the other night because he politly said he didn't want to tune down a half step, so I tuned up, played and sang awful. We haven't heard from him after I told him we really wanted him.

• Moderators

Originally posted by dughaze

The problem is how and when to approach it with others that I need to tune down.

I don't want to walk up to people and go "hi my name is Doug and I sound best tuned down a half step". When do I tell them ask them or whatever? After I really suck at tuning to where they are at? Do I put it in the ad for a bass player I'm going to put in the music store tomorrow?

I think I lost a great prospective bass player the other night because he politly said he didn't want to tune down a half step, so I tuned up, played and sang awful. We haven't heard from him after I told him we really wanted him.

the Beatles did that...and I have sessioned with vocalists who were better in flat keys, and it really makes no difference to anyone except the keyboard player, and most new keyboards can be detuned easily...so unless you have an actual piano or a Hammond B3, why not?

• Members

We dropped to Eb 3 years ago and never looked back!

Most of the covers we played were originally in Eb anyway.

It just felt weird at first to play some standard tuning songs (like AC/DC) after playing them for so long, but we quickly got used to it. I sing lead on a few songs and it's incredible how that poor little half step has helped me!

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

We dropped to Eb 3 years ago and never looked back!

Most of the covers we played were originally in Eb anyway.

It just felt weird at first to play some standard tuning songs (like AC/DC) after playing them for so long, but we quickly got used to it. I sing lead on a few songs and it's incredible how that poor little half step has helped me!

zactly!!

• Members

My band has tuned that way since the 80's for singing reasons. I recently started a side project and just for the hell of it we tuned regular. It was a bit tougher to sing some songs but easier on others. I do notice that sonicly the guitar sounds different between the tunings . Not bad, just different, regular it's like tighter if that makes sence. We tuned back down though. It's only a problem if a guy has a Floyd rose or similar tuning system. You can't just tune different on the fly. They should be set up to whatever tuning your doing.

• Members

What about the old saying Concert pitch alot of pro"s use this tuning for the road they gotta perform night after night it easier on the singers. Hell I thought that the only way to play live tune down a half or whole step I play bass and keyboards myself and tune my keyboards down a half step right along with my Eb bass.:)

• Members

You got to tune/play songs in the singers range or it just doesn't work - well it might work but the band will sound like crap. If they are unwilling to tune down to meet your voice then you don't want them.

I would tell them when the call to set up the audition time.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

Bottom line, he wasn't that great of a player/future bandmember if he insisted on not tuning down.

• Members

Originally posted by VSpaceBoy

Reach up 1/2 step for a note, whats the deal??

the deal is that half a step makes it much less strenuous to hit higher notes, sing for prolonged periods, you can sing songs that are just out of reach in normal tuning etc...

not a vocalist i presume?

btw just about every single big touring band do this.

• Members

Originally posted by JBJ

the deal is that half a step makes it much less strenuous to hit higher notes, sing for prolonged periods, you can sing songs that are just out of reach in normal tuning etc...

not a vocalist i presume?

btw just about every single big touring band do this.

I am a vocalist. Its still only a half step. I don't think its much difference. Of course I don't have a deep voice and have a high range.

• Members

My past band switched over to Eb tuning a while back and we never once thought about going back. I like the tone that comes from Eb standard, its a little deeper and more raw sounding, IMO. The sound does change when switching tuning, even just half a step. I noticed the difference when I switched over and it wasn't small one either. The guitar sounded much more resonant and fuller. Plus, playing was easier as well.

I've been looking for a new band or to start a new band lately and I usually mention I use this tuning. If the band already has quite a bit material written in E standard, I usually do not push to switch to what I use. But I do tell them about it. Both of my guitars are in Eb right now, but I use the LP when trying out for bands so switching tuning won't be a big deal (trem equiped guitars are a hassle to do this with).

I haven't had much of a problem, I'm finding alot of seasoned players use this tuning around here.

• Members

Originally posted by FuelGTRX

If the band already has quite a bit material written in E standard, I usually do not push to switch to what I use.

I don't get it. If it is written in E standard, you still play it the same way when you're tuned down a half step. It just SOUNDS a half step lower. Unless, as someone else already mentioned, your dealing with horns or a type of keyboard that cannot be tuned down....

• Members

We detuned a couple of years ago when we were playing rock covers all the time. Yeah, it was easier to sing. It was exactly one half-step easier...no miracles involved.

Then after a while we went back to standard. I felt like it was a crutch that could be replaced by practice and proper vocal technique, which turned out to be true. Yes, it's more effort, but it pays off, just like any form of excercise/training.

Now I don't have to have that discussion with anybody, and really, none of the other musicians I've interacted with in the last several years play in Eb.

• Members

Originally posted by zookie

I'm missing something. We play a number of songs in Eb, so I usually capo my acoustic at the 3rd fret and form a C. I could also capo at the first fret and form a D.

What is the benefit to tuning down a half step?

they mean actually tuning the guitar down half a step as opposed to just playing a song in Eb.

basically what you're doing is playing everythign a semitone lower which can make a huge difference to the singer.

• Members

We have tuned a WHOLE step flat since we started the band.

I have no idea why anyone would have a problem doing this. If I were to audition a potential bandmate who couldn't be bothered to retune/adjust his truss rod/ whatever... I wouldn't crack his first beer.

• Members

Originally posted by JBJ

they mean actually tuning the guitar down half a step as opposed to just playing a song in Eb.

basically what you're doing is playing everythign a semitone lower which can make a huge difference to the singer.

OK. Thanks!

If it helps the singer, then go for it.

• Members

Originally posted by superiorparts

we replaced our lead singer and a rythem guitar player last year with one guy who could sing lead, play rythem, and play lead. his only thing was we had to tune a half step down. at first i was kinda iffy about it. but with my bass properly set up for this it really is not a big deal. a lot of the songs that we do i had to drop down a half step to learn them. we also have a female lead singer. on her songs we stay in standard tuning. forturnately, we all have several guitars apiece so it is no problem. i say go for it.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

Similar situation here :thu:

Archived