Can you beat a pair of lesbians and a full gay house?

BndGrl

• Members

No shows. :(

But on Saturday I traded this '97 Epi Flying V:

FlyingV001.jpg

For this 1991 Rickenbacker 620:

[Ric620smaller.jpg

Even trade.

I also sold my MIM Strat on Sunday to a kid at church for $175. He hasn't paid me yet, his family hasn't a lot of money so I told him to take the Strat with him and pay me when he gets the cash.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

No shows.
:(

FlyingV001.jpg

[
Ric620smaller.jpg

Even trade.

BK

I can't speak to the monitary value of said instruments, but the Ric seems so much classier. V's are so pretentious and ugly IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by JacieFB

I can't speak to the monitary value of said instruments, but the Ric seems so much classier. V's are so pretentious and ugly IMO.

Haha, my wife hated that V also. I like Gibson-shaped Vs, though pointier versions I never got into. But that V I could only really play in my main band (punk rock), it was a little out of place in my side band (roots rock), and for that reason I had never played it with the side band. It was even more out of place at my church gig, though I did play it several times there for laughs. I can play the Ric in any of the 3 bands without pause.

At any rate, monetarily it was a good deal I think. I bought the V w/ohsc for $250. The current list price on Ric 620's is just shy of $1400, and they are "streeting" for $950 new at big discounters like Musician's Friend. The V was very clean, while the Ric is rather beat up, several dings and some fretboard wear and fret wear on the low three frets, though nothing that seriously affects playability. The bridge cover plate is about totally rusted on top, though that's purely a cosmetic issue, and a replacement is like $20.

The lead singer from my side band bought the same Ric, but in blue, a year and a half ago, w/no case, for $400 and I thought he got a good deal (in fact that deal had come to me but I was broke and passed the deal on to him). Mine included a Ric hardshell case, so for $250 spent on the V it's a pretty amazing deal.

Though I could live without the black hardware.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Stinkfoot

Ric620smaller.jpg

I want this guitar!!!

Ain't Rickie neat?

I was trying to sell that darn V, but had no takers. I wasn't even looking for a Ric, nor for a trade! But it was too good a deal to turn down. Literally a deal out of the blue.

I was trying to sell the V because a couple weeks earlier I had stumbled onto an equally cool deal. Les Paul Classic w/ohsc, near mint, $750:

LPClassicChair039.jpg

After acquiring 2 guitars and selling or trading 3 in a fortnight, I'm about guitar-dealed out!

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

No shows.
:(

FlyingV001.jpg

[
Ric620smaller.jpg

Even trade.

I also sold my MIM Strat on Sunday to a kid at church for $175. He hasn't paid me yet, his family hasn't a lot of money so I told him to take the Strat with him and pay me when he gets the cash.

BK

Wow, what a great trade. A piece of firewood for a real instrument. The ric will retain it's value and musicality for years. Although your strat is probably gone for good, as poor church folk have about as much financial responsability as N.O. hurricane victims. Still, not a big loss.

• Members

Originally posted by zekmoe

Wow, what a great trade. A piece of firewood for a real instrument. The ric will retain it's value and musicality for years. Although your strat is probably gone for good, as poor church folk have about as much financial responsability as N.O. hurricane victims. Still, not a big loss.

While I agree I got the better of the trade, a guitar is a guitar. The Ric is worth more since it was made over here and had more individual attention given it, but they both make music.

As far as the Strat goes, I'll see the money eventually, before Christmas in fact. No biggie meanwhile as I've never been much of a Strat guy anyhow and didn't play her that much.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by The Hiryuu

Are those P-90's in the Ric? Or just regular single coils? I can't really tell. If they're P-90's then I'm stealing it.
:evil:

The answer is, they're not P-90's but not Fender-style singles either. They're Ric's single-coils, called High-Gains. Sorta betwen a Fender-type single and a P-90.

BK

• Members

So how did what started off as a gig report end up as a discussion on the relative merits of V's vs. Rics?

Anyway, I had a very full weekend.

Played at the local biker bar on Friday night. I dressed up (zombie), but nobody else did.

Saturday afternoon did a wedding reception out in someone's back yard in Bakersfield. Weather was perfect. Was supposed to do 4 hours, but everyone left after two, so we packed up.

Saturday night did a Halloween party at another local bar. Had us outside under a tarp, and it was a mite chilly. Luckily I had gone as Uncle Fester so I was wearing a long black coat, and the cold didn't affect me too much. Had a hard time keeping the crowd outside for more than a few songs because of the cool temperatures.

Sunday night I did my regular jam session at the Trap. Played for about an hour, then took a long break. The place was dead so we took a 50% paycut and went home early.

Archived