So, what is my problem

uitar9

• Members

I need some advice.

We started gigging over the past two months, and every time we start to set up on stage, the bass player has started to disagree with where I try to set up.

I personally don't really care, especially as we are mic'd. I asked the bass player where he thought I should set up but he would give no indication other that where ever I did pick it was wrong., but it has started escalating into me sitting down in the bar until everyone else is set up and then I try again. The last time I finally asked the bass player where he suggests I should set up and he and the drummer got into an argument about my spot on stage. When I finally got up, I had to scrounge a place to plug in as the bass player didn't even bother to bring his own extension cords or power bar.

By the way I share lead vocal and lead/rythm guitar duties

I hate to whine as we sound great but this along with some of his other personal hang ups are driving me nuts.

My wife has given me a couple of suggestions as to how to handle this but I was wondering if you folks can add some words of wisdom. I am a very non confrontational person and hate to rock the boat, I just want to learn my stuff and play live.

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what is the band set up/ how many guitars? anything else that oisnt usually there ie keys, horn sections etc...

it's a good idea to have a set stage layout of where you play so you at least are constantly in the same rough area with regards to on stage levels and feeding off of each others performance.

in my old line up we had vocals, me on rythmn guitar n backign vox, my bro on lead, bass and drums.

drums obviously centre back of the stage

my bro would play out by himself on stage right, me and the bass player would be stage left with me closer to the centre for singing and the vocals in the middle obviously.

if you're the only guitarist i'd just set up at the opposite side of the stage of the bassist, if you've got more guitars i'd suggest keepign all the rythmn section together....

• Members

Get there first.

Set up wherever the {censored} you want.

Frankly, the bassist's opinion is irrelevant. I say this having been the bassist in several bands. Bass is not directional in the same way guitar is.

In my main band I'm lucky. Since I'm the lead singer and person in the band the longest, I always go stage left so the others can see what I'm playing in case they get lost. Problem solved. ;)

BK

• Members

If you have a dual lead vocal band then you and the other lead should be front of stage. Bass and drums should be in back. If you have a 5 piece band then it should be 2 up and 3 back. Stage layouts should be in your Contract Rider as well. This is so that you don't just show up for a gig, look around and find out they gave you a 5x6 drum riser as a stage and 3 channels on the snake to plug in to.

• Members

Geez, sounds like the guy is just trying to pull a power trip on you. No reason for that. Like others have said, just work out at your next rehearsal what your permanent stage locations will be, and that's the end of that particular trip. But don't be surprised if he then tries some other way to assert his imagined "authority" over you in whatever way he can. :rolleyes: Some people just can't resist messing with somebody's head if they perceive you won't call them on it.

• Members

Originally posted by Crusher

band royalty --> singer > guitar player > bass player > drummer......tell him to STFU

Seriously, I don't see what his problem is. You should be able to set up wherever you want as long as you guys are not in each other's way

+1

The bass goes next to the drums (drummer pickes the side).

You're out front. End of story.

• Members

I'm also mystified by this.

Usually band placement evolves naturally during rehearsal time, especially once you get closer to gigging and start setting up as you will on stage. Everyone has a tendency to drift to the same spot.

The only valid objection the bassist might have is if you're blocking his view of the drummer. The drummer and bassist should be able to make eye contact.

• Members

hmm, this is kind of a weird thread. we picked our spots (well, sides, singer/guitar player is always in the middle) at our first show and that's the way it is.

if you were looking at the stage, from left to right it goes:

bass, singer/guitar player, me....drums in the back of course.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Get there first.

Set up wherever the {censored} you want.

Frankly, the bassist's opinion is irrelevant. I say this having been the bassist in several bands. Bass is not directional in the same way guitar is.

BK

Just curious, what do you mean by "directional"?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

Just curious, what do you mean by "directional"?

:confused:

A bass will project in every direction regardless of how the cabinet is set up. This is why the subwoofer in a home theater can be put virtually anywhere in a room with the same results. A guitar projects primarily in the direction in which you have the cab facing with the obvious exception being open back cabs.

Best solution is to have a standard setup that you try to use at every venue. Makes things simple across the board.

• Members

i'd say....which ever side the bass player sets up on....you go to the other side of the drums from the bass player and just set up....if he starts whining...tell him to get over it.....

i don't really get what he's trying to do....other than just piss everyone off....i've never had this problem before.....

just my thoughts

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

A bass will project in every direction regardless of how the cabinet is set up. This is why the subwoofer in a home theater can be put virtually anywhere in a room with the same results. A guitar projects primarily in the direction in which you have the cab facing with the obvious exception being open back cabs.

Best solution is to have a standard setup that you try to use at every venue. Makes things simple across the board.

Gotcha.

This is all assuming there is no house system and all amplification is coming from the stage.

Right?

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

Gotcha.

This is all assuming there is no house system and all amplification is coming from the stage.

Right?

A few gigs back our bass player's amp refused to power up so he was forced to play through the PA. You still had very little indication as to where the sound was actually coming from, especially out in the audience.

With a guitar, just tilting the cab can make a significant difference.

• Members

Originally posted by Scafeets

I dunno... I play bass in one band and lead in another. The bass player in this situation is acting like an asshole and deserves to get thrown the hell outta the band.

Oh, I agree 100%. The guy needs a swift punch in the grapes. I'm a bass player as well, and frankly as long as I have the room, I really don't care too much where I set up.

Just can't help but wonder what the responses wouldda been like had it been a guitarist in question.

• Members

Originally posted by THX1138

Not much love for bass players in this thread.
:(

Well here's some! :) I love our bass player more than about anybody in this world... in fact I'm nutso about the bass players in both of my bands. But neither of them are control freak idiots who would ever argue about a lame thing like where I set up. I don't think this particular guy was ever arguing about anything that made any logical sense, only playing some kind of ego game.

• Members

Originally posted by Damon Holland

100% correct. Exactly what I was going to say. The bass should be close to the drummer so he can hear it. Or more to the point "feel" it.

Wouldn't matter if I shoved my 8x10 up my drummer's Glute. He plays whatever tempo his Jack n Coke's dictate.

Archived