Back-up gear...how intense?

DanteRTS

• Members

My Ground Control Pro midi controller went out on me this past week. Luckily, I still had my Behringer as a back up and didn't miss a beat.

We personally carry an extra cord for every one we have in rig, fuses, strings, tubes, soldering gun, batteries, power strips, straps, straplocks, ect.

Let's get an idea of what everyone else carries for backup.

• Members

In my rack I have a 3 space drawer that I have my 'survival kit' in. Basically extra strings, tools, zip ties (for our banner), duct tape, picks (mostly for my guitarist), extra chords, band flyers and table cards, Imodium AD (hehe, you never know), batteries, ground lifts, cheat sheets for songs, and probably a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten about.

I used to bring a back up bass, but I never used it, so I stopped.

• Members

Originally posted by DanteRTS

My Ground Control Pro midi controller went out on me this past week. Luckily, I still had my Behringer as a back up and didn't miss a beat.

We personally carry an extra cord for every one we have in rig, fuses, strings, tubes, soldering gun, batteries, power strips, straps, straplocks, ect.

Let's get an idea of what everyone else carries for backup.

I carry two guitars, two amps, spare mic, spare cords for guitars and mics, and most of the stuff you mentioned.

My guys used to laugh at me for carrying two amps, until a stage tech at a concert we were opening (and recording our live cd) set an open bottle of water on top of my amp and when I went to switch guitars, it tipped over. Since the amp was a Fender HRD, the water went all over the controls, and glugged right down into the input jacks, causing the amp to make all kinds of weird noises. Luckily, I was able to just pull the guitar cord and put it into the other amp beside it, move the speaker mic, and I was back in business in about 20 seconds.

The guys never gave me {censored} about it again.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

My guys used to laugh at me for carrying two amps, until a stage tech at a concert we were opening (and recording our live cd) set an open bottle of water on top of my amp and when I went to switch guitars, it tipped over. Since the amp was a Fender HRD, the water went all over the controls, and glugged right down into the input jacks, causing the amp to make all kinds of weird noises. Luckily, I was able to just pull the guitar cord and put it into the other amp beside it, move the speaker mic, and I was back in business in about 20 seconds.

The guys never gave me {censored} about it again.

Haha. Nice! :thu:

• Members

I run a pedalboard into a tube power amp and 4x12 cab for my standard setup, so I keep spares for the most essential pedals and a compact solid state head just in case. I also bring spare tubes, strings, picks, cables, batteries (for wireless) and extension cords in case there isn't a power outlet within reach of my rig. I always bring two guitars, one with a Floyd and one with a fixed bridge.

• Members

For me, the amount of backup gear I haul is directly proportional to the importance of the gig.

If I'm doing a free performance in the park for few people I might not take any backup gear.

If I'm doing a gig that pays alot, or is important for other reasons, I'll have backup for everything. :thu:

(Normally I always have a backup guitar, at minimum.)

• Members

Always at least 2 guitars, if its a really important show, or a really long set, I'll bring 3.

I run a 3 amp rig so if any one goes down, I just switch to 2 in stereo. The odd of all 3 going down are pretty low....

In addition, I have a survival bag with all the basics. Tons of extra cables, power strips, strings, rag to wipe my balls on, batteries, multitools, flashlight, fuses, extra tubes, condoms, a roll of toilet paper (yes I've had to use it before), gaffer tape, duct tape, and an OD pedal that I I've only used once (in case I lose the ability to switch channels or have an amp break down and have to borrow one).

• Members

You should have a spare for anything you can't do without. In my case I have an extra preamp, power amp, guitars, cords, MIDI controllers, speakers, strings, picks, power supplies. FX I could play without if the GMajor died. Plus the usual condiments. :D

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm usually a Guitar jam/electric guitar poster, but this question intrigued me.

I always have an extra guitar, cables, mic, and BATTERIES BATTERIES BATTERIES.

I also picked up a couple extra 120V power cables, since those seem to get left at practice spaces a lot (and not just by my band).

In terms of amps, I keep my old GT3 around which can go right into the PA. It's not as good as an amp tonewise, but it does in a pinch.

• Members

hmmmm I guess I am lazy.

I bring 2 guitars sometimes, extra strings and cables as well as a small jewelers screwdriver set. That's it.

I run a pedalboard into a tube head and 4x12 cab as well. I do want to start carrying extra power tubes and fuses along too but I haven't picked up spares yet. I really haven't had any major problems other than batteries but I have elimnated that with a Dunlop power supply for all my pedals. I guess I have been lucky so far.

• Members

Extra sm-58 mic and cable, extra guitar cable, extra DI, extra strings for everything, extra A, C, D, E and G harmonicas, extra picks, extra fuses, soldering iron and solder, Swiss Army Knife, multi-tip screwdriver set, small socket set, lots of 9v, AA and AAA batteries, my PDA and a 6-pack of Diet Vanilla Pepsi.

• Members

Batteries of all sizes

extension cords

multi-outlet power strips

all the cables I own

at least 3 extra sets of strings

all the picks I own

fuses

various small hand tools

I carry two amps, because I use the Crate Power Block. They're so small, bringing two of them isn't a problem.

They're the best invention for the gigging cover band guitarist ever!

:thu:

• Members

I have a SS amp parked behind my tube amp in case it craps out. Three guitars in a stand next to me. An extra cable already plugged halfway in to the amp in case my wireless rig goes Tango Universe. Strings, tubes, batteries, cables, tools and other extra stuff is in The Big Bag, but only used between sets.

During a set, I expect to be out of commission for less than twelve bars.

• Members

I use a rack rig, and my one of my speaker cabs is actually a 2x12 combo amp. I just use the speakers usually, but I could use it in various permutations should something go down in my rack.

If my power amp went down I could use the power amp in jack and just run my rack to it. If my preamp went down, I carry my SansAmp and SansAmp Tri-A.C. along, and if the whole rack went down I could just use that amp, or use my Tri-A.C. into its power section. I could do without the wireless and effects if I had to, so I could get through the gig in many scenarios.

I always have my gig tool box and I always take multiple guitars, so I'm well covered there. About the only thing I don't usually take is a backup midi-pedal, although I do have one. I probably should take it along, because you never know, as they say.

• Members

Well, the obvious stuff like leads, strings, plecs. I always gig with at least two guitars as I'm pretty heavy on the strings. Ampwise I don't carry a spare amp, but I do have a small aluminium emergency case containing my POD, 4-button footswitch and associated connecting cables so that I can get going via the PA in case my amp goes down.

Also have a small toolkit with screwdrivers, pliers etc, and sometimes a soldering iron - you never know when you might have to fix a lead on the fly...

Cheers

BF

• Members

I've been toting my Roland Cube 30 around as a backup for about a year now. It gets left in the car, because I've never needed it. In fact, I've never had an amp go out during a a gig, and I had considered leaving it at home because my Fender is so reliable....

...until our last show, of course. Glad I had the Cube in the trunk!

• Members

My band is very careful about having backups.....it always worries me when we leave something at home that is supposed to be our backup.

I use two main guitars live at each gig, so I always bring a backup for each, so that's 4 guitars to carry.

My rack has never failed me, but I have a backup PODXT that I keep for emergencies. Aside from that, I have a toolbox full of cables, picks, strings, tools, and pretty much anything that I would need to repair any sort of emergency.

• Members

Strat and a Les Paul. Main amp plus a DI to run to the PA if the amp goes tango uniform. Spare power cables, speaker cables, guitar cables, ground lifts, gaffer tape, 9v batteries, strings, picks and some sweat rags.

• Members

I carry 2 basses, 2 cords, 2 tuners, a POD 2.0, spare batteries. The trailer has 2 complete P.A. systems and spare backline amps for everyone, including mikes, spare tires, cords, stands, wireless units, pretty much a small music store. We rarely have to go to the trailer. I usually just use 1 bass for the bar gigs. I keep the other one in a stand, tuned up, just in case.

• Members

Being a gear slut, I always pack a few guitars. I use a Sennheiser rf unit and POD xt between them and my amp. If the rf dies - I have a cable or two. If the POD dies, I just go old school into the amp - besides if you can't perform with just a guitar and amp, I would suspect something is pretty wrong IMHO. If the amp dies I drive the pod into the monitor mix and house. Pretty simple really.

I can buy everything but the guitars by the next day if needed.

Best Regards,

Lance

• Members

If you have a studio and you use the gear you use in the studio on stage when you gig, ALWAYS have duplicate audio and power cables/adaptors, and keep them in your gigbags/roadcases. Not only will you be less likely to forget things, but breaking down stuff in the studio is just a matter of unplugging cables. When you come back after the gig, it's just a matter of plugging stuff back in, no need to wrap/unravel cables.

Archived