Quick press kit question:

• Members

When including clippings from press, I'm assuming it is acceptable to use photocopies of the articles, not the originals.

Is it acceptable to put more than one short piece on the same piece of paper? Like 2 capsule reviews from two different magazines on the same page?

Or should there be a separate page for each article? Or just separate pages for different publications?

We've gotten quite a bit of local press, and I'm trying to figure the best way to consolidate it into a simple cohesive, effective Press Kit.

FWIW, I've already got 8x10's and Cd's, Bio/Onesheet worked out....

• Members

Yes, it is acceptable to use photocopies (LEGIBLE) and more than one per page. It is recommended to combine them on one page. Often times excessive literature within a press kit is not viewed.

"... simple cohesive, effective Press Kit."

Great idea. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the quick response. Your answer was pretty much what I had figured, but I just wanted to get a couple of other opinions.

I've been making press kits for a while, but we just got our first "out of state" request for a package from a national reviewer, and I wanted to make sure I had all my ducks in a row before I send one out...

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

Thanks for the quick response. Your answer was pretty much what I had figured, but I just wanted to get a couple of other opinions.

I've been making press kits for a while, but we just got our first "out of state" request for a package from a national reviewer, and I wanted to make sure I had all my ducks in a row before I send one out...

Good luck with it. :thu:

(There used to be a little place down in Delray called the Gipper, I think it burned down.)

• Members

I wouldn't do any of it. I would incorporate impact statements from each review with a quote line. No one is going to read all your reviews. Just give them the impact statements and the publication they came from.

Here's my tri-fold brochure, with what I'm talking about.

• Members

I'd go with the actual clippings photocopied.

I'm certain that Bluestat is not posting phony news clippings on his brochure but other bands do.

Making up ficticious news article quotes is an old trick and anyone can do it.

Once again - I am NOT suggesting that Bluestrat did this in his brochure.

• Members

Originally posted by Beachbum

I'm certain that Bluestat is not posting phony news clippings on his brochure but other bands do.

Making up ficticious news article quotes is an old trick and anyone can do it.

Once again - I am NOT suggesting that Bluestrat did this in his brochure.

Well, sure, you can do that. But having worked with lots of presenters, agents, and clubowners, they just don't read press clippings and they all wind up in the trash. In fact, it was a talent agent who told me a few years back to use impact statements, so take that for what it's worth. If someone is lying, it's easy enough to find out online.

Meh. Do whatever. Makes no difference to me.:wave:

• Members

Psssst... newsflash....

That's why he said he was gonna photocopy them on to one page.

Why make them verify it online, like they have time for that?

(Date: May 2006, let go of the past.)

Newsflash: what you're describing IS the past. It's how we did it in college 30 years ago. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Newsflash: what you're describing IS the past. It's how we did it in college 30 years ago.
:wave:

Must have been some college to have had the internet that long ago.

I believe you though, you really think you had the internet back in college.

• Moderators

I wouldn't do any of it. I would incorporate impact statements from each review with a quote line. No one is going to read all your reviews. Just give them the impact statements and the publication they came from.

For whatever it worth, most bands I know (mine included) seem to go go with "impact statements" like BlueStrat mentions.

I've never met anyone who seemed overly concerned that bands were creating fake press quotes.

• Members

Okay, I'm calling bull{censored} on you. What youtre talking about doesn't involve the internet, and you know it. It involves a newspaper, a pair of scissors, and a copy machine. Of course, you know this, but now you're trolling. No one can be this stupid.

You have been repeatedly asked to put up or shut up here. You dispense all this "advice" (God help the bands who actually follow it) as if you knew from experience what you are talking about. Yet when challenged by guys here who actually do have experience, you revert to name calling and condescention, calling us "old fashioned, stuck in the past," etc etc. I'll put up anything I've done for the world to see and judge. My website is available, my songs and cds are online, my bio, press, and credits are all on display.

Where are yours? On what do you base your vast amount of wisdom? Let's see your website, your press, your credentials, and your songs. Frankly, I don't think you have any.

It's time for you to put up or shut up. I'm tired of you maligning my and others' accomplishments and experiences as if they are somehow irrelevant. They served me quite well up until Sept 2004, when I decided to take a break. And now I'm working as much as I want to, getting paid what I want to, and I don't have to go out and beg for gigs. And that's not ego, my man, that's just the truth. I worked hard to get to that point, by doing al the things you seem to think are 'living in the past.'.

So, impress me. I'm waiting.

• Members

I wouldn't do any of it. I would incorporate impact statements from each review with a quote line. No one is going to read all your reviews.

I completely agree.

Years ago, before I got back into network TV, I owned an ad agency. The quotes, if carefully chosen, can say so much more about your sound and have a much higher retention factor than the overkill approach. It makes your presskit very "skimmable" which is all you should be after. The recipient isn't your mother and therefore isn't going to analyze it that carefully.

:cool:

If you don't have actual quotes, there's nothing dishonest about making some up to give the right impression - as long as you don't falsely attribute those quotes to anyone else. Like this:

"Blackbelt stuns crowds with his shoddy guitar wanking!"

"Blackbelt's playing will remind you of those blazing Fred Durst solos - a must see!"

"If you only see one artist this year, be sure and miss Blackbelt completely...his guitar sounds like a water buffalo that's been hit by a dump truck...and those are the GOOD notes."

~Blackbelt

• Members

PSSSSST.. Al Gore did not invent it and it WAS around 30 years ago... and many colleges were on it. :o

• Moderators

personally, I think this is a waste of band width...select the quotes you want from the review and attribute them, in an 'impact statement' as BS said. No one wants to wade through a small town paper's reviewer's prose. The trick to promotional materials is for them to get the point across fast. How many press kits do you think agents look at a day? Do you think they want to dig through a review to find the nuggets? That is thte job of the one putting the kit together. The easier you make it for your intended 'audience', the more likely it is to elicit the proper response. Marketing 101

:cool:

• Members

Well, I didn't really specify it in my original posts, but I've already got the articles boiled down to "impact statements" or very short (2-3 sentence) paragraphs.

I just wanted to make sure it was industry standard to put pull quotes from various publications on one piece of paper.

Thanks for the helps guys.

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

Well, I didn't really specify it in my original posts, but I've already got the articles boiled down to "impact statements" or very short (2-3 sentence) paragraphs.

I just wanted to make sure it was industry standard to put pull quotes from various publications on one piece of paper.

Thanks for the helps guys.

De nada. Glad to be of help.

Archived