Isn't It Amazing That People STILL Yell Freebird?

sydfan

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

The problem with both those songs is I have yet to hear a band cover them both correctly.

You gotta be good to do them right, that's for sure.

I don't understand hating either song. Especially if you're a guitarist. Lots o' great guitar in them there songs.

A friend of mine's band does Stairway (along with tons more LZ) and it brings down the house. They don't do it all the time. They have about 200 songs altogether but if it gets requested they do it.

The solo is one of Page's best. And that is saying something.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

THIS is why no one wants to hear them anymore...

9 times out of 10, this is what they sound like.

If nobody wants to hear them then why do they still get requested?

Like I said - you have to have a certain skill level to pull songs off like that well. If you can't really play, well, those songs will show your weaknesses.

And I'd rather play either one of those songs then Mustang Sally. That's the most requested song to me. But if someone requests it you play it and watch the women dance.

People around here just yell a generic "Skynyrd!" rather than Freebird. Or "Godsmack!", "Metallica!", etc. So you play some.

• Members

A friend of mine was tipped $200 last weekend to play freebird. From what I heard, the dude came up and offered the band $100 to play it, then the key player said for $200, we'll stop this song and play it right now. He apparently wanted that.

I'd play it for my 1/5th of $200 -- and I'd maybe even smile while playing it. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

Like I said - you have to have a certain skill level to pull songs off like that well. If you can't really play, well, those songs will show your weaknesses.

And I'd rather play either one of those songs then Mustang Sally. That's the most requested song to me. But if someone requests it you play it and watch the women dance.

People around here just yell a generic "Skynyrd!" rather than Freebird. Or "Godsmack!", "Metallica!", etc. So you play some.

I don't consider one guy yelling "Freebird" from the back of the bar to be a popular request. But then again, I play mostly blues clubs and restaurants/wineries, so any "request" for Freebird or Stairway is going to be a joke anyway.

But back in the 80s when we played it as a part of a Skynyrd set we did, we found that about half the people liked it and about half thought it was boring and too long. After playing it for 4-6 nights a week for nearly four years, I'd have to be counted among the bored, and if I ever play it again it'll be too soon. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

The request has become a parody of itself. I would bet that 99% of the time the yokels yelling for it could care less if it's played or not. It's an easy way to get noticed in the crowd with minimal effort.

It almost always gets some sort of reaction, so it just goes on. And on. And on.

Sort of like the last guitar solo in Freebird

• Members

I don't consider one guy yelling "Freebird" from the back of the bar to be a popular request. But then again, I play mostly blues clubs and restaurants/wineries, so any "request" for Freebird or Stairway is going to be a joke anyway.

But back in the 80s when we played it as a part of a Skynyrd set we did, we found that about half the people liked it and about half thought it was boring and too long. After playing it for 4-6 nights a week for nearly four years, I'd have to be counted among the bored, and if I ever play it again it'll be too soon.
:D

I really have never actually heard Freebird shouted out. Like I said it's usually Skynyrd. And they usually mean it. Skynyrd wrote some great songs. Simple Man is an anthem.

But yeah, I agree that it is a little too long and boring for a bar/club crowd. People really don't get into the 27 minute guitar solo like they used to. :D
People still like guitar solos - they just like them short and sweet. Vocals are more popular. I even get bored with too much guitar.

They have so many great songs that even if you don't do that one (and I wouldn't want to either) you can still placate them with something else by them.

Stairway is another story altogether. First of all, the chances of having a vocalist who can sing like Plant in his youth are very slim. Having a rhythm section as strong as LZ - well, that's the easy part on this particular song. Not one of their more difficult pieces in that respect.

And while just about every guitarist can play the opening chords, how many can play the entire song correctly? I mean use a double neck 12/6 string, go thru all the changes correctly, nail the solo, and the outro solo?

Not many would be the correct answer. It's quite a piece of work. I know one guy who does it, like I said, and he happens to be one of the best guitarists I've ever seen.

I think that some folks may confuse the intro played poorly with mastering the entire song. It's out of most band's range. At least local cover bands anyway.

• Members

They still request it, we still play it and I must say I enjoy playing it. We played it at the end of the second set two weeks ago, don't think we've ever played it that early in the night, but there was a nice tip involved. At any rate we finished it to thunderous applause.

• Members
Originally posted by slyde

They still request it, we still play it and I must say I enjoy playing it. We played it at the end of the second set two weeks ago, don't think we've ever played it that early in the night, but there was a nice tip involved. At any rate we finished it to thunderous applause.

I enjoyed it too, the first couple of hundred times. It was the 600 or so times after that I couldn't stand. :eek:

• Members

I understand BlueStrat because I never liked to play the song back in the day. Why I've taken to it now I couldn't tell you but ours is an abreviated version, I play all the slide and lead and just get up for it.

• Members

Originally posted by slyde

I understand BlueStrat because I never liked to play the song back in the day. Why I've taken to it now I couldn't tell you but ours is an abreviated version, I play all the slide and lead and just get up for it.

Hey, if it makes you happy, it tickles the crap out of me! No one is making me play it. To each his own. I don't think any less of anyone who plays it. I'll play a lot of things I don't care for if the gig calls for it. At the end of the day, we're getting paid to make other people happy.

• Members

Originally posted by sydfan

If people yell it and really want to hear, we'll do it. We're there to entertain, not showcase our musicianship.

Don't you think showcasing musicianship can be entertaining?

I mean, not necessarily for a 10 minute wankfest, but here's an example: I play with a killer 6-string bass player. About twice a night, I give him a solo where he just SHREDS on bass guitar, and it isn't just mindless notes but it almost Wooten-like the way he plays. People go ape{censored} over it. Similarly, I do a slide solo by myself that is about two minutes long and people seem to dig that, too (which is about the sole extent of my "musicianship"!). It helps break up the show a little bit by injecting something different, even theough the crowd didn't ask for it. If you can do it, why not?

• Members

Don't you think showcasing musicianship can be entertaining?

I mean, not necessarily for a 10 minute wankfest, but here's an example: I play with a killer 6-string bass player. About twice a night, I give him a solo where he just SHREDS on bass guitar, and it isn't just mindless notes but it almost Wooten-like the way he plays. People go ape{censored} over it. Similarly, I do a slide solo by myself that is about two minutes long and people seem to dig that, too (which is about the sole extent of my "musicianship"!). It helps break up the show a little bit by injecting something different, even theough the crowd didn't ask for it. If you can do it, why not?

I didn't mean that. First of all, my acoutics partner and I aren't the greatest musicians in the world. I understand what you're saying, and yeah, people dig that too. All I'm saying is that we're not going to impress people with out abilities. So we just giver them what they want.

• Members
Originally posted by sydfan

I didn't mean that. First of all, my acoutics partner and I aren't the greatest musicians in the world. I understand what you're saying, and yeah, people dig that too. All I'm saying is that we're not going to impress people with out abilities. So we just giver them what they want.

Whore :rolleyes:

• Members

There are worse things in the world, IMO. Like the way every other sodding guitar shop in the world has, since June 1992, put up a sign that says "No Stairway to Heaven" and thinks it's the funniest thing in the entire world ever. It's an even weaker joke when the staff of said stores start to add a list of stuff they don't like to it.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

There are worse things in the world, IMO. Like the way every other sodding guitar shop in the world has, since June 1992, put up a sign that says "No Stairway to Heaven" and thinks it's the funniest thing in the entire world ever. It's an even weaker joke when the staff of said stores start to add a list of stuff they don't like to it.

Wayne's World! Party On! Excellent!

That's where I first saw that sign. It was funny then.........

Archived