Booking agent changes price

ned911

• Members

We had accepted a pair of gigs for a certain price via email with a booking agent for a local club.

Booking agent shows up at our gig on Friday unannounced at which time I tell her that this will not be our best gig for the following reasons:

1)We are playing a complete set of new material

2) No rehearsal in 2 weeks due to my business travel

3) I had just arrived home 8 hours earlier from a 20 hour flight.

I receive an email today from her stating band sounds great, looks great, really gets the crowd involved. Bar manager only had positive things to say (ie: we are his favorite band due to increased bar sales and higher attendence). Then she promptly tells me that she feels the need to cut our price by $100. But she thinks she can get us our original price in November.

I'm thinking this is total BS and that we will never see a November gig (especially since it's a outdoor venue).

This gig is already less than other 3 set gigs we play and requires additional expense in that we have to bring our own lighting.

Should we:

1) walk away from this booking agent

2) force the price to the originally agreed upon

3) take the new price

• Members

The booking agent works for you, not the club. Part of their job is to negotioate the highest possible fee for you. Sounds like this agent is trying to take the easy road and assure you of a gig without asking for more money. Tell this person that you can do that yourself, and if any agent is going to undercut you to sell you, they aren't doing you any favors and aren't worth what you're paying them. My agent ALWAYS got me more money that I could for myself, usually lots more.

• Members

Surely if the agent is messingyou about by suggesting you take a lower price then you are free to suggest that she takes a lower fee too? She slashes your fee by 10% you cut hers by 10% (even if she was on a % cut pay her a lower %).

Whats the point in having an agent if it doesn't get you anything more than you could get yourself?

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

We had accepted a pair of gigs for a certain price via email with a booking agent for a local club.

Booking agent shows up at our gig on Friday unannounced at which time I tell her that this will not be our best gig for the following reasons:

1)We are playing a complete set of new material

2) No rehearsal in 2 weeks due to my business travel

3) I had just arrived home 8 hours earlier from a 20 hour flight.

I receive an email today from her stating band sounds great, looks great, really gets the crowd involved. Bar manager only had positive things to say (ie: we are his favorite band due to increased bar sales and higher attendence). Then she promptly tells me that she feels the need to cut our price by $100. But she thinks she can get us our original price in November.

I'm thinking this is total BS and that we will never see a November gig (especially since it's a outdoor venue).

This gig is already less than other 3 set gigs we play and requires additional expense in that we have to bring our own lighting.

Should we:

1) walk away from this booking agent

2) force the price to the originally agreed upon

3) take the new price

I'd choose option #2.

(With possibly a warning along the lines of option #1.)

• Members

While it's cool that you were honest, I'm not sure telling her that you hadn't rehearsed in 2 weeks (for whatever reason), and that this wouldn't be your best show, was a good impression.

That said, I would say that she's either lowering your price because she wants to sneakily take a bigger cut for herself... or she's lowering your price because the bar was less pleased than they may have let on to your face.

Either way, if you feel that strongly about the pay cut I would suggest politely telling her that the new price is too low and that you'll have to pass on the gig.

• Members

The bar we played last Friday was our regular Friday house band gig and not the venue with the pay issue.

I responded to the agent yesterday morning (still waiting for a reply) with:

We usually get $XXX a night for 3 sets where we don't have to provide lights.

Also, since this is an out door gig is there some kind of guarantee against the weather. We will not be playing in the rain. Do we still get paid if there is a rain out? If not that makes the $100 cut harder since we could book an indoor show (for more money) that would be guaranteed.

I have to check with the band on the price cut but I don't think it will fly.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

The bar we played last Friday was our regular Friday house band gig and not the venue with the pay issue.

I responded to the agent yesterday morning (still waiting for a reply) with:

We usually get $XXX a night for 3 sets where we don't have to provide lights.

Also, since this is an out door gig is there some kind of guarantee against the weather. We will not be playing in the rain. Do we still get paid if there is a rain out? If not that makes the $100 cut harder since we could book an indoor show (for more money) that would be guaranteed.

I have to check with the band on the price cut but I don't think it will fly.

You can draw up your own agreements (contracts) covering all of the issues.

I never used to even consider a gig as 'booked' until the 'Standard Agreement' form was signed. I called it a 'Standard Agreement' because some people balk at signing a 'contract', same difference, less intimidating wording.

Put clauses in your 'Standard Agreement' covering cancellations, weather issues, power outages, pay (of course), and any other factor you feel is pentinent.

Once it's all down on paper it is clear to all what is expected.

• Members

Even just a basic agreement with terms and your signature and the agents signature can be more valuable than gold... I'd demand the original price, no other options seem right to me.. I hate wehn agents try to screw you, it's how they get all of their money, though... you've got to be careful and get contracts signed. just how the business works, unfortunately.

• Members

A bit confusing. What is her reason? What was the door take? How bad did your gig go?

On one hand, your business travel and lack of practice, or unfamiliarity with new material is not her problem, and as a booking agent, I dont want to hear any excuses. Just bring your A game like you told me when I booked you. If a band comes in with a bunch of excuses, they are not going to be on the A list very long.

On the other hand, an agreed on pay scale is just that. They made a deal. Are you saying that after a gig you played they are trying to short you $100, or for future gigs they want to pay $100 less? Two different situations. #1, pay me what we argeed on for work done. #2, if you are no longer willing to pay that for FUTURE work, then all I can do is accept your offer, or not.

Do you like the gig? is it worth playing? If so, take the money. IF not, politley state that you are not willing to work for that money.

Above all, always keep a business mind and be professional.

• Members

You can draw up your own agreements (contracts) covering all of the issues.

I never used to even consider a gig as 'booked' until the 'Standard Agreement' form was signed. I called it a 'Standard Agreement' because some people balk at signing a 'contract', same difference, less intimidating wording.

Put clauses in your 'Standard Agreement' covering cancellations, weather issues, power outages, pay (of course), and any other factor you feel is pentinent.

Once it's all down on paper it is clear to all what is expected.

We're still waiting for confirmation that you've ever played a gig in your life......

• Members

Actually the gig didn't go that bad mainly the bass player had some trouble with the new tunes and it took us about 5 or 6 songs to get tight and for me to wake up.

Had we known she was going to show up we would have rehearsed the night before to avoid this situation.

The place she booked us we have not played before so I can't comment on whether it's a good gig or not.

Final outcome is we split the difference between the two prices and since it's outside we are waiting to hear on guarentee due to weather cancelation before finalizing.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

We're still waiting for confirmation that you've ever played a gig in your life......

I'm not sure who you mean by 'we', but you can keep sniffing behind my posts.

I already told a moderator that I wasn't ready to post any information that could lead to personal contact because there is one particular troll making jackass comments. I don't need phone calls and e-mails as well.

Have fun trolling though, if it's okay with the mods it's okay with me, no problem, no complaints, you keep on trolling. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Beachbum

I'm not sure who you mean by 'we', but you can keep sniffing behind my posts.

I already told a moderator that I wasn't ready to post any personal contact information because there is one particular troll making jackass comments. You are a totally obsessed troll.

Have fun though, if it's okay with the mods it's okay with me, no problem, no complaints.
:thu:

See dude, this is why everyone thinks you're full of {censored}. If you ask any musician about some gigs that they had a normal response would be "Oh I played in a band that played out at Bar XYZ Fridays and than at Billy the {censored}kickers on Saturday."

No one said {censored} about personal contact information. We just want to know what your actual {censored}ing credentials are in giving advice to real people that are actually playing out live. Plenty of guys here have got hundreds, hell thousands of gigs under their belt. Those are the ones the rest of us want to hear from, not some douchebag sitting on his porch with his thumb up his ass plucking a broken G string giving half-baked advice about some {censored} he doesn't know about.

Come on dude. List ONE gig where you played out live in front of people. Just one is all I ask. The bar, the night, the name of your band and the location.

Something.

Oh yeah, :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by cyberponch

See dude, this is why everyone thinks you're full of {censored}. If you ask any musician about some gigs that they had a normal response would be "Oh I played in a band that played out at Bar XYZ Fridays and than at Billy the {censored}kickers on Saturday."

No one said {censored} about personal contact information. We just want to know what your actual {censored}ing credentials are in giving advice to real people that are actually playing out live. Plenty of guys here have got hundreds, hell thousands of gigs under their belt. Those are the ones the rest of us want to hear from, not some douchebag sitting on his porch with his thumb up his ass plucking a broken G string giving half-baked advice about some {censored} he doesn't know about.

Come on dude. List ONE gig where you played out live in front of people. Just one is all I ask. The bar, the night, the name of your band and the location.

Something.

Oh yeah,

You are right Cyberponch, I worded it wrong the first time. I corrected myself. I don't want to provide any information that could lead an obsessed troll to locate me. And I have explained this to a moderator. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes it's tough being so popular here. :)

Have fun on the porch and wash your thumb before you eat. :thu:

• Members

Beachbum, as I've said before, there was really no need to explain to me why you wouldn't reveal any personal information. There is nothing in the forum rules that requires you to do so. However, you also have to keep in mind that if you're going to dispense advice, especially if it's "advice" that experienced members consider suspect, you are likely to get called upon to back up that advice. And if you can't or won't do that, your credibility will be called into question. There's no getting around that no matter how many times you explain anything to anybody.

Most people who are or are seeking to be in the public eye (ie: people in bands, the people who make up this forum) do use our real names and reveal real information about ourselves, despite the risk of being harrassed by stalkers. It goes with the territory and if you don't want to do that, again it's not "required" by the moderators here, but don't complain when people repeatedly call you to the carpet on giving "advice" to inexperienced musicians.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Beachbum, as I've said before, there was really no need to explain to me why you wouldn't reveal any personal information. There is nothing in the forum rules that requires you to do so. However, you also have to keep in mind that if you're going to dispense advice, especially if it's "advice" that experienced members consider suspect, you are likely to get called upon to back up that advice. And if you can't or won't do that, your credibility will be called into question. There's no getting around that no matter how many times you explain anything to anybody.

Most people who are or are seeking to be in the public eye (ie: people in bands, the people who make up this forum) do use our real names and reveal real information about ourselves, despite the risk of being harrassed by stalkers. It goes with the territory and if you don't want to do that, again it's not "required" by the moderators here, but don't complain when people repeatedly call you to the carpet on giving "advice" to inexperienced musicians.

Not a problem at all, Lee. I completely understand your point and I appreciate both your understanding and your sincerity. I was very earnest and serious in my communications to you, I'm not here to cause trouble - I like gaining and sharing ideas/information here. I pretty much stay away from the controversial topics now because I said I didn't want to incite trouble, and I don't.

No complaints from me, who's doing the complaining?

As I mentioned above, I have absolutely no problems or complaints about the troll posts. If it's okay with the moderators it is okay with me. Everyone have fun. :thu:

• Members

You are right Cyberponch, I worded it wrong the first time. I corrected myself. I don't want to provide any information that could lead an obsessed troll to locate me. And I have explained this to a moderator. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes it's tough being so popular here.
:)

Have fun on the porch and wash your thumb before you eat.

So what? You mean to tell me that you seriously cannot give me the name of ONE bar or venue that you played at solo or with a band out of fear of some "obsessed troll" who I suspect is as made up as your gigging experience? Not a single piece of music or anecdote out of fear of some guy from the internet? :thu:

Dude, it's not about popularity.....it's about having actual experience to dispense out advice. Most of what I see from you regarding gigging and whatnot is completely useless.....of course, as a working musician it wasn't that hard to figure out that your advice is, in fact, worthless. :thu:

Oh yeah, way to totally burn me there with my own insult. Of course what can you expect from a guy that has to fake his way into the almighty veteranship of being a musician who has actually played in a bar....holy {censored}, could you aim any lower? Why not reach for the stars and be one of those fake Medal of Honor winners or fake Vietnam Vets? I mean damn, someone wants to fake being a broke-ass musician. Wow, I almost feel honored. :thu: :thu:

Not a problem at all, Lee. I completely understand your point and I appreciate both your understanding and your sincerity. I was very earnest and serious in my communications to you, I'm not here to cause trouble - I like gaining and sharing ideas/information here. I pretty much stay away from the controversial topics now because I said I didn't want to incite trouble, and I don't.

No complaints from me, who's doing the complaining?

As I mentioned above, I have absolutely no problems or complaints about the troll posts. If it's okay with the moderators it is okay with me. Everyone have fun.

If you don't wanna cause trouble, how about keeping your mouth shut about things which you obviously have no clue? I don't bitch at the squeegee guy how to do his job, you shouldn't be rolling in here telling us real musicians how it is....we know how it is.

The funniest thing is you give yourself away by labeling the posts calling you out as "troll posts". OK Bucko so if someone wants actual evidence of one of your "gigs" in one of your "bands" at one of the many "venues" that you "played", wait, I mean "rocked out" that means they are a troll? For wanting nothing more than simple confirmation that you actually have the credentials to dole out brilliant advice like "pay for play is wise cause of the exposure" ideas that any working musician with a band that has played for longer than 6 months can immediately dismiss as bull{censored}? Wow way to tie your own noose there, gee it's not like someone can just read that and figure out that you must be full of {censored}.

One last thing.....why bother bringing the moderators into this at all? Lee has done a fine job modding the board (even though my super awesome racist comment got deleted :mad: ) sure but what do her and all the apples in China have to do with this conversation? Why can't you just answer me instead of running to the mods about how you didn't want to divulge that information, like you're some kind of James Bond with a guitar? Why not stand up for yourself and defend against all this with one, JUST ONE, gig that you have done......at this point I don't even give a {censored} which CITY it was in, just say the name of a bar that you played at, hell at this point I don't care which STATE it is in, as long as it is not in your current (and permanent it seems) state of denial. Jeez.

I think you can't tell us cause it's never happened. :idea::thu:

Oh yeah have fun with this "troll" post. :thu:

• Members

So your playing now is related to you business. How about 5 years ago? ten years ago? Are you trying to pass off the idiotic notion that every gig you have ever played since you started is somehow attached to your current business? That if you tell us where you have played in the past, for how many people, and post some clips, we're going to somehow sabotage your current day gig? You need to get help if that's what you think.

On second thought, nevermind. I suspect you have nothing to tell or post, which is why your 'advicve' always sounds so generic or theoretical. You are likely a noob craving attention. You sure act like one. Whatever.

You don't want to qualify yourself, fine. But don't you ever, EVER, tell an experienced played or seasoned vet he's full of it or doing something wrong, that he's old fashioned, outdated, needs to change, or whatever, until you can demonstrate where your advice has worked for you. In a word, STFU.

Archived