ned911

• Members

Originally posted by THBv2.0

What was this thread about?

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

You're right.......excuse me.

Originally posted by ned911

We had accepted a pair of gigs for a certain price via email with a booking agent for a local club.

Booking agent shows up at our gig on Friday unannounced at which time I tell her that this will not be our best gig for the following reasons:

1)We are playing a complete set of new material

2) No rehearsal in 2 weeks due to my business travel

3) I had just arrived home 8 hours earlier from a 20 hour flight.

I receive an email today from her stating band sounds great, looks great, really gets the crowd involved. Bar manager only had positive things to say (ie: we are his favorite band due to increased bar sales and higher attendence). Then she promptly tells me that she feels the need to cut our price by $100. But she thinks she can get us our original price in November.

I'm thinking this is total BS and that we will never see a November gig (especially since it's a outdoor venue).

This gig is already less than other 3 set gigs we play and requires additional expense in that we have to bring our own lighting.

Should we:

1) walk away from this booking agent

2) force the price to the originally agreed upon

3) take the new price

I say walk away. It sounds like everything went well and the bar did increased business and she wants you guys to play for less? Something's fishy right there. After a night like that you should be asking for more money, not less. Find a different agent.

• Members

Originally posted by Beachbum

I'm not sure who you mean by 'we', but you can keep sniffing behind my posts.

Well I don't mind being lumped into this collective "we". And nobody needs to do any "sniffing" because you never seem to miss a chance to pollute every other thread with your innane ambiguity.

Originally posted by Beachbum

I already told a moderator that I wasn't ready to post any information that could lead to personal contact because there is one particular troll making jackass comments. I don't need phone calls and e-mails as well.

There aren't enough "rolleyes" smileys on the planet to even touch this one...

So lets get this straight; you feel the need to advise us all with your pearls of wisdom and advocating doing whatever it takes to get "Exposure" and "play the game" and "Great topic!" :thu:, and you do all this without any advertising?

Gee, where do I sign?! I want a pieice of that action...the rest of us are more than willing to put band links in our sigs, talk about gigs both past and present and do whatever we need to do to get our name out there. But you found a way around this, huh? Lucky you.

• Members

Originally posted by cyberponch

I say walk away. It sounds like everything went well and the bar did increased business and she wants you guys to play for less? Something's fishy right there. After a night like that you should be asking for more money, not less. Find a different agent.

+1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess Im kinda mixed feeling on this one....understood that "written agreements" are a reality in this day and age... on the other hand Im a big fan of my word. the key here is that you had an "agreement". that to me means that there were pre-determined terms regardless of how things went. Whoever tries to re-negotiate an "agreement" after the fact is a douce. Plain and simple. Thats what negotiating the next gig is about. Thats why other people in entertainment have agents.(the cast of "friends" comes to mind)....go back on a handshake with our band and youre all done......take my gear and fans elsewhere....perhaps thats really nieve, but integrity should be part of your reputation IMHO. on all sides.

• Members

OK, back to the original topic:

I have a question - why would you only have rehearsed if you'd known the booking agent was going to show up at the gig? Especially when you mention 5 or 6 new songs that the bassist hasn't grasped yet! That alone would be enough reason to have either a full band rehearsal or a one-on-one with the bassist and guitarist (IMO).

As for Beachbum's concerns about privacy and stalkers, here's my take:

I'll be performing at DC9 (club located at the intersection of 9th and U streets, NW Washington DC) tonight Saturday Sept 9th from 11pm - midnight! We go on second, and the name of the band is Maximum, $7 cover, all are welcomed! Come say "what's up!" to me if you are there, I'm the guitarist! :wave:

Archived