Do you still care about the money?

poorboy

• Members

This assumes that if all bands refuse to play for free the clubs will be forced to hire bands that charge. Unfortunately, at least around here, they'd more likely just stop having live shows and do something else.

For example, the sword that always hangs over our head at our regular Tues. night show is Karaoke expanding over from Sundays and Mondays into Tuesdays also. Karaoke is very popular! I guess a lot of people think music isn't a spectator sport, and would rather get drunk and sing off key than pay $3 to hear a band with proficient singers.

Also, nobody is cheating anyone out of anything. The younger dudes and dudettes can come and play for free just like we so often do. If they're good enough and draw a crowd on the free nights, they'll be able to leverage a better night and a guarantee. Like it or not, that's how the game is played here in Austin.

Heh...we're all free to do whatever we wish, but that doesn't make what we do right. I can't help what poor quality, inexperienced bands do. If they want to give it away...so be it. they may think they're getting their foot in the door but what they're really doing is bending over. And even if they do start to draw, in the back of the club owners mind is the fact that he's had these guys for nothing..

But I won't play for free for the reasons I've stated. I play for very little sometimes but the club owner has to cross the line, show me some respect, and pay me. It doesnt' mean that I don't love my music any less.

If it came down to the point where every little band and act stopped charging and the act of playing music for money in public became totally devalued......

Well then I play in my living room for my friends....at least they'd appreciate it...

Austin sounds like it sucks big time.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't care about the money, I play for the fun, any musician how gets all uptight about money is either going to end up playing {censored}ty covers or be very disappointed because this is not the 20th century, live bands are not a valuable entertainment commodity in the US anymore.

• Members

i've never been into the 'starving artist' thing, but i do live poor, since i rely on music to get by - i've given up on the usa and concentrate on one good euro tour a year for the bulk of my income, plus the cd/merch sales it generates. trying to break into japan and australia, currently with my new cd.

anyhoo, it's tough to make a living in the usa unless you're committed to whatever - kinda sucks!

• Members

Do I care about the money? yes

Do I get too worked up about it? no

We insist on getting paid, unless it is a charitable event that we all agree to do. If I got wrapped around the axle about money, I would get another job doing something else, anything else, and make more money at that. The fact is I have a need to play out because it is my passion, but I won't cheapen it by playing for free.... with very few exceptions anyway.

• Members

My drummer put gigging in perspective that I like. He says " We play fo free. but you pay us for setting up".

Money used to important when I was raising a family. Now they are grown and I play for pleasure and have refused a good payin gig cuz I didn't want to do that kind of music, didn't want to play every weekend and enjoy the hell out of my new band.

Nothing wrong playing for the money, but my day job takes care of that.

• Members
My drummer put gigging in perspective that I like. He says " We play fo free. but you pay us for setting up".

Now that's funny...:thu:

I don't get wrapped up about the money either. But I won't play without it.......And like I said...
it Doesn't have to be much...
but it has to be something......

• Members

What Kevin T said!

In my band, I bought all of the PA, the (meager) lights, the van to haul it in, own the practice room, pay for the website, and on and on and on. My drummer lost his license to a DWI incident :mad: , and my guitar player got his car repo-ed :rolleyes: , so I have to pick them up and drop them off for gigs AND practice too. I guess I have to LOVE playing to put myself, (and wife :( ) through it all, but there's no way I could do this for free.

I'll play for free someday after I sell the PA, the van, and the rest of the gear, and use my Mackie 808M and Yamaha Club speakers to play for benefits, and backyard parties.

• Members

I think getting paid is an indication of doing something right.

Since we live in America where apparently money is the main indication of "success", I don't mind getting a decent amount of money for playing. It at least makes me feel like we are doing something that someone finds valuable.

Money isn't the reason we play, but we rarely play without getting paid. It simply costs too much to schlep $20,000 worth of equipment to a gig, spend a couple hours setting it up and a couple hours tearing it down.. just to be able to say we play for the fun of it.

Yeah.. I play for the fun of it.. but like it has already been stated, I better be damn well paid to load the van, drive to the gig, set it up, tear it down, take in home and put it away.. damn well.

If I play for free it better be a jam session where I can just walk in with my sax..

• Members

I find that I care about the money a lot more than I did years ago. I'm 56 and have been playing in weekend bands for almost thirty years. I've always loved playing and still do, but at this point in my career, I consider the pay before I blindly accept any job. With the price of gas between $2.50 and $3.00 a gallon, it's just not worth it to me to drive an hour or two to make fifty dollars. Also, the arthritis in my knees lets me know it's there by the end of a job, and loading out can be tortuous. Most of my work pays $100 or so, I'm happy with that, even if there's a long drive to the job. I know I won't be able to play forever, so I'll continue as long as I can and hope the pay remains agreeable.

• Members

I think the the censesus is that playing is enjoyable but getting as much money as you can is only right. Oh I am still getting payed, but not as much as last year. I left a very popular band that was paying me good money. They asked me back several times. However, I love the stuff I am doing and the these band players have made me want to play for a few more years. Where as I was thinking of retiring, but now I am thinking how to become better on my guitarplayer.

I am hoping this band will catch on and I will reap both benifits. Great pay and personel musical satifaction.

• Moderators

A new band is like any startup business: you're going to lose money for a while (hopefully not too long a while) before you build up a customer base.

There are only two ways to approach this. You can either (a) bring resources to the gig that are proportional to the pay (musicians who will work for free, minimal gear, no soundguy, etc) or (b) you can bring resources that far exceed the gig's probable pay.

Personally, I believe that if you're looking long term for the band you have to turn in THE BEST performance and overall experience you possibly can at each show, even if you lose money. Option (b) will cost you in the short run, but option (a) will cost you everything in the long run.

With option (b) you are working toward a future, and will hopefully quickly outgrow the play for free places. Looked at another way, you're basically renting the bar for the night. In return, you get exposure to people, some of whom will become regulars for your band. It's best if there are other bands playing on the same bill with you since you can add some of their fans as your own.

I reject the notion that playing in a crappy venue will permanently and negatively affect your band's ability to play better places. What will negatively affect your band's ability to get good gigs is if no one has ever heard you.

Once you have built up a following, you're in a good position to leverage that for a better night at the same club, better pay, or to switch to a better venue that only books "established" bands.

Terry D.

P.S. Of course if you can talk one of the better clubs into giving you a prime Saturday night slot even though they've never heard of you and you haven't built up a following, then so much the better. Except that every clubowner can judge how many people are HIS regulars and how many are YOURS.

Bottom line, you fail to draw, you don't get asked back.

• Members

Very good MrKnobs I agree with you. Matter of fact we are playing at the Riverwalk tomorrow at the Gazebo.We got a city permit and I took flyers to the bar owners and invited them over to hear us. I am confident they will hire us when the hear us. It's kinda like a city audition for the band.

• Members
Originally posted by tubedude

Very good MrKnobs I agree with you. Matter of fact we are playing at the Riverwalk tomorrow at the Gazebo.We got a city permit and I took flyers to the bar owners and invited them over to hear us. I am confident they will hire us when the hear us. It's kinda like a city audition for the band.

That's a great idea. Maybe have someone video you, and then make copies of the tapes for bar owners too.

Good thinking. :thu:

• Members

No money no play so yes I care about the money. Our band did exactly two charity gigs a year, both for Christmas toy programs for kids, and both were marvelously fun parties with great food and drinks.
Personally I think the premise of the question is sillly. I'm good at my day job, in fact very good, but take away the paycheck at the end of the week and I would stay home. If I was a doctor saving kids lives in the jungle somewhere I'd feel differently about it.
I think the question is also different for kids just starting out who may not be sure of their talent or original bands who have a product to sell. I'm just a performer. If you want to hear some smokin' keyboards then hand over the cash.

• Members

Originally posted by poorboy

I know I won't get rich at this.It doesn't bother me in the slightest.I really just do it for the fun aspect.

The different venues,the different people and most importantly THE GROOVE.

The question is,what is more important to you.

The money or the groove?

I guess fun and "The Groove" are one in the same.

Club owners must LOVE you.

I made a decision a few years back - I am a professional, and unless I am donating my time for a benefit, etc I'd better be getting paid. I don't go to the office for the camaradery, y'know?

The band I am in is damn good. We draw people, clubs make $$$ off of us. They'd better be willing to pay us, or we go elsewhere.

• Members

We've been around since the 70's and we play some very high profile jobs .Believe me, we're not giving anything away.The money is nice and all but I get such a better high from a monster groove that the money seems secondary. When I'm getting that killer tone ...who's counting dollars.
When your so deep in the pocket you don't know where you are.
Maybe that's the point I'm trying to make.

• Members

Originally posted by poorboy

The money is nice and all but I get such a better high from a monster groove that the money seems secondary. When I'm getting that killer tone ...who's counting dollars.

When your so deep in the pocket you don't know where you are.

Maybe that's the point I'm trying to make.

Oh well, definitely! The last thing I'm thinking of in the middle of a serious groove is $$$. Thing is, we can burn that groove in the drummer's garage, where al the e

Archived