Do you still care about the money?

poorboy

• Members

Originally posted by poorboy

The money is nice and all but I get such a better high from a monster groove that the money seems secondary. When I'm getting that killer tone ...who's counting dollars.

When your so deep in the pocket you don't know where you are.

Maybe that's the point I'm trying to make.

Oh well, definitely! The last thing I'm thinking of in the middle of a serious groove is $$$. Thing is, we can burn that groove in the drummer's garage, where the equipment is already set up.

I like the line that goes "We play for free, but you pay us to set up and tear down." :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've never been into the 'starving artist' thing so, yes, i do care about the ching. i live super poor and save everything i can - i only have 2 guitars - a squier bullet special for recording and an epi lp jr - each cost only $99 - i stipulate backline in my rider so i travel light. anyhoo, i've built it up to where i tour europe once a year for as long as 40 dates in 3 months on the last tour and make enough to survive the rest of the year. i don't work so i'm working on finding a japan/australia agent to start getting work there. surviving off music is do-able if you adjust your expectaions and foucs on what turned you on to beging with - rock n roll!

• Members

Originally posted by poorboy

The question is,what is more important to you.

The money or the groove?

I guess fun and "The Groove" are one in the same.

Someone once told me that three things keep bands together:

1. good music

2. good money

3. good personalities

His rule was you need 2 of the 3 to keep the band going, 3 out of 3 and you're in heaven.

Anyway, I look at money and groove/fun/good music as being inversely related....the less fun I'm going to have the more money I need to get for it.

• Moderators

Originally posted by dougb415

Yessir, tho we do mix in an original or two here and there.

I'm just pointing out that some of us are talking about cover bands and some about original bands, and they're two different animals.

I've been in some very successful cover bands like yours, but making money in an original band is a lot harder.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

I reject the notion that playing in a crappy venue will permanently and negatively affect your band's ability to play better places. What will negatively affect your band's ability to get good gigs is if no one has ever heard you.

Terry D.

So you are going to keep doing the Tuesday night gigs? :D

• Members

I'm just pointing out that some of us are talking about cover bands and some about original bands, and they're two different animals.

I've been in some very successful cover bands like yours, but making money in an original band is a lot harder.

Terry D.

Cover bands make money in Austin. Most original acts do not.

• Moderators

Originally posted by jivejust

So you are going to keep doing the Tuesday night gigs?
:D

No, I 86'd 'em.

So of course the last one we had scheduled turned out to be fun (we have a new drummer) and a good crowd so I didn't lose money. :freak:

Terry D.

• Moderators

but making money in an original band is a lot harder.

That's the understatement of the year. :freak:

In the seven or so years my band's been together, I wouldn't be surprised if we've colletively put nearly $50,000 into studio time, mastering, hiring producers and engineers, CD pressing, gas, hotel rooms, hiring PR, rehearsal space rent, and umm... guitar strings.

I'll bet we've made half that in CD sales and show money.

:(

• Members

Originally posted by Beachbum

That's a great idea. Maybe have someone video you, and then make copies of the tapes for bar owners too.

Good thinking.
:thu:

Well we didn't get the video, but we did get a gig. The guy who delivered the permit was knocked out by the band and got us booked in this weeks 3 day festival on the riverwalk. We will play Sunday and he promised to get us in on up coming events that they will be putting on. He also mentioned he wants us to play for the Pro Rodeo headquaters grand opening that is located a few yards from the riverwalk. Goin have to add a bit more country which won't be much problem

• Members

I play dive bars occasionally that take original music bands. We play one 8 or 9 song, 45 minute set to about 25 patrons mostly. Play the good tunes we like. One time we got offered $45 after the gig because the bartender/owner said we drew a few people. I had brought in over 10k worth of guitars and amps, and told him to keep it as a tip.

We know we'll never make anything more of this than a fun time, and I like it more than any stage of my life. Play what I like, when I like, no pressure.

• Members

There's no telling how many times I've out in the hole after a gig, after you pay for gas, dinner for my wife and I, a babysitter, back when our daughter was little. I guess I've grown used to not making money by being a musician. So I must do it for the love of music!

Archived