The other guitarist wants to quit!

New Trail

• Members

Originally posted by newmaxnew

I know I shouldn't feed the immature little trolls but here goes.

I play in both cover and original bands. If you haven't done both you comments are worthless uninformed crap.

Playing standard covers for a large crowd that is really having a good time is just as much fun as playing originals to a room full of jaded musicians and getting little to no pay.

I play for way better crowds for way better pay in the cover band. The only reason I do the original band is because I like writing and recording music.

Max

HUH???!?!?!?!??!?!?

-J.P. LUX

• Members
Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

:rolleyes:
wow you're so clever with phrases. Does this even need to be said? No, me- I would choose the 3 complaining bums over the hard working nice guy.
:rolleyes:

WTF is your problem?:rolleyes: Other than mistaking rude snottiness for sarcastic wit, I mean?

• Members

The solution to this situation seems pretty clear (albeit less than optimal and probably not easy depending on where you live). If Rico is up for it, You and Rico pull together your own project which may likely involve another rhythm section. You play bars as a duo for the time being (making more $$ per man while you're at it and playing what you want - be it Brown Eye or whatever - it's about fun right?).

Tell the other guys that you are splitting up and they can go slack and then complain with some other group.

Sometimes change is a good thing

• Members

You are describing every band I think. It seems impossible to find a group of 4 or 5 guys that can have the same goals, and work hard for them. There seems to always be at least one slacker, loser, drug addict, BLAH!

What's worse is that there are two of them, so now the band has factions.

the last band I was in had two factions, and I was on the middle ground, playing diplomat. Trying to get people on the same page... blah blah blah... well i got kicked out. go figure.

bottom line, decide if these other two are worth your effort and time... if not, ditch them. if so, call them out. just do it straight up. Be honest, and lay the cards down. Then they will know how you feel, and they can find out how you feel.

why do guys have to act like bitches?

• Members

Originally posted by ihateyouguys

doesn't sound like rico is the problem, he's just tired of dealing with the problems caused by the other members.

You and him are the ones carrying the load - in more ways than one. You need to let him know you're on his side and take control of the band, even if that means shutting down the band while you find new members.

I'd rather keep one person that does the work and has a good attitude than 3 people who add nothing but problems and complaints.

Absolutely!

Might consider a duo until the improved attitudes or replacements can be found...

• Members

I'd confront the other members and tell them theres two kinds of people Complainers and Doers now which are u!?!?!

plus a duo sounds like a good start being this guy is motivated and gets things done, yes he is very much the leader because he leads them down a good path! more than not.

I would also let them know the song list is changing and not to what they want alone.. they can sing what they want if they are singers and you're gonna sing what you want if u and rico sing.

and whoever said doing covers is unnatural is full of it! and variety of genres makes the biggest money and draws the biggest crowd....

and if u two take control of the band then they dont get an even split they get so much a week whether they play one job or 10 jobs. I played in a band where we got $300. week sometimes we only played one gig, sometimes none sometimes 10... but u have to not be afraid to get big money... and u keep good musicians.

if u have an attitude of we're not ready yet then you'll never be ready...

Start laying down ground rules or kick their asses to the curb and tell them thats the consequence... if u two own the pa then u take care of it, u know it will last longer that way anyhow... unless u pay roadies big bucks they're useless... we had some roadies and they were useless and i handled my own equipment while everyone elses were getting tore up by the roadies.

either be strong and to the point or leave it alone. Complainers and Doers!!

• Members

theres a time and a place for originals and who said ya couldnt throw a few in between the covers... get in the studio or your own and make a few original cds and sell them on the gig.

other than that people miss those old songs too... :idea:

• Members

think about this.... even the professionals play covers! van halen-johnny b good, heart- tell it like it is, pearl jam- last kiss, rockin in the free world.... hello!?!?!?! cheap trick- aint that a shame, thorogood - move it on over, and many many more... kiss didnt want to do beth and it was one of their biggest sellers then the drummer quit.

so while doing originals is ok, u still have to do covers to keep the audience happy.... NO AUDIENCE NO GIG simple as that! throw some originals in between covers and make the original cds on your own time and sell them at the gigs... once u throw a few in between they'll start liking em... just dont tell them until they ask u who the artist is or u will get a critical ear from the get go.

and u matter eater lad (strange nick) how come u got kiss as an avatar if u like bums and originals so much?? that constitutes covers to me... :p

Archived