At a gig, does it annoy you when...

plushpinkypully

• Members

We wouldn't let people up mid song, but if someone talks to us on a break and they seem like they know what they're doing and they're sober, we'll usually let them up. Sometimes they suck, sometimes they're really good. Almost always the audience and in particular their friends have a good time, and that's what we're there for.

• Members

Since we do originals and obscure covers, it's usually not a problem. I'm not keen on adding unknown variables to our performance.

I've found the problem isn't with letting someone sit in for a tune or two, it's getting them to leave the stage so we can resume our show.

• Members

I say: "Sure, but the band has agreed to one rule: No one plays with us unless they rehearse with us. Our next rehearsal is Saturday at 8:00am. Drop by and we'll work you in."

BTW, we really do rehearse on Saturday at 8:00am.

THere you go!! Our drummer really doesn't like it when people just pop in and expect to play, so we've stopped having folks sit in alltogether. To me it doesn't matter much, but it can be very bad for the overall show...

• Members

We let 'em come up and hang 'em out to dry. The minute they hit the stage, it's one, two, three, and we blow into the song with no support for the singer whatsoever.. It's sink or swim. It seems to break them of the habit fairly quickly. We are blessed with slightly jealous, attractive, wives who are always with us. Hot chicks are afforded no special treatment.

• Members

We let 'em come up and hang 'em out to dry. The minute they hit the stage, it's one, two, three, and we blow into the song with no support for the singer whatsoever.. It's sink or swim. It seems to break them of the habit fairly quickly. We are blessed with slightly jealous, attractive, wives who are always with us. Hot chicks are afforded no special treatment.

Why would you want them to fail?

• Members

Not nearly as annoying as people trying to talk to you in the middle of a song.

"Can you play X" - no because I'm trying to play this one

Heh...I used to get that when I was playing solo gigs with my Ztar. I'd be in the middle of some crazy electronic madness and some dude would plant himself as far into my personal space as he could and say, "Dude, what is this thing called?"

Then there was the kid (at least 12) who did the same thing and said, "Can I try it?" I wonder if he went up to the drummer of the next band down the street and posed the same question. :confused:

• Members

It depends on the venue. If it's Joe's Watering Hole, and they have 10 friends with them all spending money and having a good time, I say why not? Ditto wedding receptions and the like. If they fail, it's on them, not us, and I've had a few who were in fact really, really good. Now, if it's at a showcase or a festival, concert, or other show-type event, fuggeddaboutit, it ain't gonna happen.

My last band was half original, half cover. We had a pretty big following in the region, and we were playing a packed club one night when this guy comes up onto the stage and says "Hey, if you'll pay 'La Bamba', I'l sing it!" And I said no, we don't do that song. And he whips out a hundred dollar bill, sets it on top of my amp, and say "NOW do you do it?" At which point I handed him the mic and yelled "La Bamba in G, boys! 1-2-3-4..." And the guy sang it quite well. All his friends loved it, and they stayed and partied the rest of the night. The best part is it turns out they were all DEA and FBI agents and their wives in town for a buddy's wedding. They were smashed to the gills!

• Members

Why would you want them to fail?

Give them a little life lesson about the difference in singing karaoke at the little pub down the street, and singing at professional gigs.

If people want to make an ass of themselves, we say let them go right ahead. :lol:

Whenever some unfortunate fool bothers us to the point that we let them onstage, we do the exact same thing as Jack Walker said... launch right into it with no cues or assistance, and they either sink or swim.

My favorite part is when they start looking at us for words, or realizing they've lost their way...we just either turn our backs and rock out with the drummer or interact with the audience.

• Members

an audience member wants to get up on stage and sing with you guys? Assuming that your a cover band...and he/she knows the words, how willing would u be in letting someone get up on stage with you? NO! to guys and YES! to hot chicks?

If it's a private party, and everyone's pretty much wasted, then yeah..that's what they're there for, fun, and if he/she sucks, everyone knows each other, and they know it's not the band's fault. If I were a strict proffesional, and playing in some venue, a bar, or other, then I'd have to politely decline...

• Members

Give them a little life lesson about the difference in singing karaoke at the little pub down the street, and singing at professional gigs.

If people want to make an ass of themselves, we say let them go right ahead.
:lol:

Whenever some unfortunate fool bothers us to the point that we let them onstage, we do the exact same thing as Jack Walker said... launch right into it with no cues or assistance, and they either sink or swim.

My favorite part is when they start looking at us for words, or realizing they've lost their way...we just either turn our backs and rock out with the drummer or interact with the audience.

:lol::thu:

• Members

I've done this a few times, the look on their faces was priceless. "Not quite as easy as singing in the car, eh?"

• Members

I never experienced this until I joined a cover band that seemed to let just about anyone come up and play or sing with us. I used to get particularly pissed when the band would play a song I lead on and some random joe/josette would sing it using my mic, so I couldn't even harmonize. After a couple of hissy fits on my part, that stopped, although there is one particular girl who loves to sing Bobby Magee and wants to do it every time she shows up. Since this is one of my better covers, I now decide if she gets to sing it or not. Sometimes I don't care, but if we're rockin' the joint, the karaoke version has to wait for another day. Bless her little heart, she sure loves to sing it.

In the duet I'm in, we're much less tolerant of scaraoke requests, except during the open mic we host. And yes, getting 'guests' to leave the stage can be a problem.

• Members

I just don't see the point in that. There are times when you wouldn't want anybody up there if you're doing a show, but if you're playing at the local pub and you let one of the regulars come up, why not give them their song. Making them look good doesn't make you look bad. If you're going to invite somebody up there you should help them, not act like pompous jerks.

• Members

I just don't see the point in that. There are times when you wouldn't want anybody up there if you're doing a show, but if you're playing at the local pub and you let one of the regulars come up, why not give them their song. Making them look good doesn't make you look bad. If you're going to invite somebody up there you should help them, not act like pompous jerks.

We have a rotation of clubs we play at.

None of the "regulars" we know at any of those given places has any desire to sing, I suppose.

We do let other actual singers we know come up and jam with us.

We reserve the "sink or swim" act for obnoxiously drunken assclowns, who deserve a dose of humility.

Believe me...we will make the ones who actually can sing look and sound really good.

Archived