Guitarist and there silly live rigs.

nerol1st

• Members

I love it when bar managers ask "you guys really need all that gear (PA) for this room?" and I can reply "It's a lot of gear, but if you want it to sound good, I'd say it's worth the extra work..." and they say "aren't you going to be too loud?" and I can respond " Everything has a volume control, I just like to get the blend to sound right"

I get asked to turn the band UP way more than I get asked to turn DOWN. now this is a little different, but the same idea, you need the right tools AND you need to know hw to use them effectively.

+1 Spend the bucks on hi-power PA and you won't need the stack.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the reason that the Marshall ends getting a bad rap sometimes is that many inexperienced players think that if they buy that Marshall amp they will somehow magically sound good. That is the reason I have heard more crap tone from Marshalls than almost any other brand. It isn't the fault of the amp it is the person using it.

Max

• Members

I think the reason that the Marshall ends getting a bad rap sometimes is that many inexperienced players think that if they buy that Marshall amp they will somehow magically sound good. That is the reason I have heard more crap tone from Marshalls than almost any other brand. It isn't the fault of the amp it is the person using it.

Max

Amen! A truer statement has never been ..... ummm - spoken? ..... ummm written?......

posted!

Get it thru your heads - people who slam entire brands:

It ain't the gear.

It's the player.

(within reason)

Part of being a good player is knowing how to get a good sound out of anything.

And there is no "magic box".

• Members

I used to have an Ibanez SM9 Super Metal - is the "Smash Box" just a later version of that?

Not really.

The SM7 is aimed at nu-metal players, I think.

I use it in a totally different manner by dialing in settings that Ibanez R&D probably never intended.

Like I said, it does great on 80's hair metal, and even an early 80s Priest or Scorpions tone.

• Members

I don't ever use an amp at all. I just run my Pod XT Live direct to the P.A. No lugging necessary.

:cool:

~Blackbelt

Must be nice, but it'd never fly at some of the smaller places we play, where all instruments must rely on stage volume only and the PA is reserved for vocals (and sometimes a kick drum mic).

At places where we rely on stage volume only, I've gotten by, on various occasions, with one of the follwing: a 2x10, a 2x12, a 1x15, a 4x10 (actually a 2x10 combo w/ 2x10 extension cab), or a 4x12. These are played with tube amps of 40W-60W power. Any of those rigs is sufficient for a small house despite not being mic'd. I wouldn't want to go above a 100W head and 4x12 for such a show, and TWO 4x12's is clearly unnecessary.

Archived