So I just turned 30.

BATCAT

• Members

One of the best things about being over 30 is that one is less likely to be in one of those all-original bands that play on a bill with eight other bands in the same night and don't get paid, and much more likely to be in a band that can entertain a crowd for four sets and actually makes money in the process.

/flame on.

I dont think age has anything to do with it ..... its all a matter of what you want to do. Why cant 17 years olds learn 60 songs? rat

• Members
I dont think age has anything to do with it ..... its all a matter of what you want to do. Why cant 17 years olds learn 60 songs? rat

They certainly can. However, 17 year olds have different priorities than more mature people. A 17 year old still has a fantasy of getting "the band" together and writing a bunch of hit songs, getting spotted by a record exec while onstage rawking out, getting signed for a brazillion dollars, and then spending the rest of his life banging supermodels in his mansion.

A 30 year old generally knows better.

:D

• Members
Wanna bet?

One of the most assenine rock opera "We are gonna make it!" bands I was a part of was full of guys in their late 30s.

Ouch... You gotta figure that if you aint' well on the road to mansions and supermodels by the time you are 30, you should re-adjust your expectations a bit...

• Members

Ouch... You gotta figure that if you aint' well on the road to mansions and supermodels by the time you are 30, you should re-adjust your expectations a bit...

I think my ex-bandmates aspirations were a little more modest.

They wanted (want) "exposure" and to be valid in the the alt-country "scene".

I had no problem with that, except for the fact that they were willing to dig into their own pockets to finance those dreams (free or next to free gigs, considerable expense for practice studio, considerable expense for studio time for the CD).

• Members

Happy Birthday! Turning 30 is a hell of a lot better than turning 40, or 50...
As far as the now what. Except for a very few, making a decent living by playing music is a hard thing to do. You should know by now if that is likely to happen. If not, better get a plan-B soon. You don't want to end up as the old bitter guy working at the burger shack. (or in a Van, down by the river)

• Members
Happy Birthday! Turning 30 is a hell of a lot better than turning 40, or 50...

Hey, turning 40 is not so bad:mad: :D

Except for a very few, making a decent living by playing music is a hard thing to do. You should know by now if that is likely to happen. If not, better get a plan-B soon.

Uh... I think he'd better have a plan B already in place. Over my years of gigging, I've known only a few musicians who make a living playing music. If he gets that big break, terrific. But until then, keep ya' day job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
30 is the new 20.
:thu:

Happy birthday!
:)

actually in reality 55 or so is the new 20. By the time you hit 55, you can be retired , have the kids out of the house and pretty well do what the hell you want ,, just like you were 20. Hell at 30 you are just getting into the heavy duty part of the family and career responsiblity thing.

Sure ya got a few more aches and pains.... but in reality i am prolly in better shape physically at 55 than i was at 20.....I take a hell of alot better care of myself, eat better , get more exercise ,, dont drink like a fish and generally live at full throttle. That said ,,, i think i will sleep in tomorrow lol. rat

• Members
Hey, turning 40 is not so bad:mad:

Uh... I think he'd better have a plan B already in place. Over my years of gigging, I've known only a few musicians who make a living playing music. If he gets that big break, terrific. But until then, keep ya' day job.

It blows my mind how many people equate making a living with "getting a big break"...What kind of a "big break" are you referring to? A good paying steady gig?

• Members

It blows my mind how many people equate making a living with "getting a big break"...What kind of a "big break" are you referring to? A good paying steady gig?

Well, I don't know about where you live, but around here all the 6 night a week gigs are gone. There are a few hotels that hire traveling bands 4-5 nights, but local guys don't play those gigs, because the hotels are under contract with agencies, and even if they did, they wouldn't keep a guy busy even close to full time.

Studio work? Nope. Very few guys do one session a month.

Lessons? Sure, jump in. There are only about 16,000 guys doing that here. Most are lucky to get 20 students.

The guy I work with in my duo has been arund for 15 years. He gives lessons and performs, and he makes 2k on a good month, usually less. So yeah, unless you get some kind of a break, making music a living is going to be nearly impossible unless you're single living in a low rent apartment or trailer.

Some areas may well be better than here, though.

Archived