Incessent Soloing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect, this statement can be interpreted many ways, it is vague intentionally. If not perhaps you could elaborate?

It means that the soloists who aren't very interesting to listen to and don't say anything seem to be the ones who go on and on....It's like people who talk incessantly thinking that if they just say a lot, maybe something profound will come out of them. And some people are just in love with the sound of their own voice. Same with their playing.

• Members
It means that the soloists who aren't very interesting to listen to and don't say anything seem to be the ones who go on and on....It's like people who talk incessantly thinking that if they just say a lot, maybe something profound will come out of them. And some people are just in love with the sound of their own voice. Same with their playing.

No guitarist should be allowed to solo until he has listened to Green Onions and Sympathy for the Devil 250 times each.;)

• Members

No guitarist should be allowed to solo until he has listened to Green Onions and Sympathy for the Devil 250 times each.
;)

Absolutely!

OR has studied the Cars....

OR until he can deconstruct the solos on Crossroads, Comfortably Numb, and Stairway, some of the best solos in rock history!

• Members

OR until he can deconstruct the solos on Crossroads, Comfortably Numb, and Stairway, some of the best solos in rock history!

I'd also submit You Shook Me All Night Long. Yeah, I know the tune is overplayed, but that lead part... what a great series of bended notes.

• Members

Thanx for the clarity- I agree.

• Members

You wanna see incessant soloing?

I'm thinking about a marshall amp, so I was on youtube to check out some sound samples. I typed in "marshall plexi" and "marshall jtm45" and voila! -- a whole bunch of people sharing their incessant solos with the world! You can't get a decent sound clip of a marshall that doesn't involve a ridiculous amount of this sort of crap. I just want to hear a nice open G, fercryinoutloud...

• Members
Occassionally the bassist can squeeze a solo in, but that is about it, and when he's just warming up, they step on him! I've been tempted to put down my sticks and walk off more than a few times, but it is not my style.

Haven't you heard? The guitar reigns supreme. Bass and drums are there to support the guitar.

Roland makes a drum machine that also plays bass lines....who needs you? :D :D

• Members

Haven't you heard? The guitar reigns supreme. Bass and drums are there to support the guitar.

Roland makes a drum machine that also plays bass lines....who needs you?
:D
:D

Ha -- I got CDs full of WAV guitar chops, rhythms, solos, parts,..even fretnoise, that I can drop in a sequence and easily replace you too, bud :D:D:D

• Members

I hate the way the guitar is the dominant instrument, and the singer/guitarist or singer is branded the 'frontman/woman.' Bass and drums are just as important, they work together with the guitar, and the guitar works with the bass, the bass works with the drums and the guitar works with the drums to be awesome. Errrrr what

• Members

I'm gonna write a solo now, my first solo. It's gonna be crap, dudes.

Well sure it will be, if that is your attitude going in!

Why not try this: take time to get familiar with the progression on your instrument - play through it a few times, find the key sig and scales that apply.

Then step away from your instrument - listen to the progression on headphones and try to come up with a melody that fits.

Then step back to your instrument and work on playing the melody you came up with.

Record it.

Then repeat - step away from the instrument, listen to what you've done - do you hear in your head things you could have added or done differently? Keep repeating this process until you have no more ideas.

Then lit it sit for a day - come back to it with fresh ears and maybe improve it some more...

• Members

I used to play lead guitar in various rock bands and i had a sense of when I wanted to solo-when an inspiring set of chords and a great groove was happening is when I really wanted to play. But sometimes, I had to play solos when I didn't want to-lame changes, lame tunes, etc.
now I lead a group of great soloists-I play rhythm mostly, and I try to feed the guys stuff I would want to play over, and I try to help them build their solos by using dynamics, changes at the right time, and choosing the spot to get them out of their solos. Since we have no other instrument supplying the backing, I have the freedom, and the responsibility, to keep things moving along. It seems to be working for the most part, in that we are an instrumental band doing good gigs where we do almost nothing but play solos-kind of like a jazz group. No matter how good the player, it's helpful to have a set of ears just listening to keep things from getting out of hand.

• Members

We just fired a guitar player for (among other things) playing 144 bar solos at gigs when they were only supposed to be 16, and then getting pissed when we changed without him and acting like we were the ones {censored}ing everything up. We once played a 45 minute set with 6 songs because of this...
C7

• Members

I hate the way the guitar is the dominant instrument, and the singer/guitarist or singer is branded the 'frontman/woman.' Bass and drums are just as important, they work together with the guitar, and the guitar works with the bass, the bass works with the drums and the guitar works with the drums to be awesome. Errrrr what

are you thinking about some as-yet undiscovered genre or something? We're talking about pop/rock/blues/country music I think :thumb:

I'd like to second You Shook Me All Night Long, and as iTunes skipped to it afterwards, All Night Long (Rainbow). Both fantastically phrased solos.

• Members

I heard Dave Liebman say once, that if practice is fun, you're doing it wrong. If you're enjoying it, you're wanking.

That was one of the most profound things I heard anyone say about music.

Are your practices rehearsals, or are they jam sessions? I'm not saying jamming is bad, some great things can come out of it, but it's not rehearsal. You play like you practice, and you practice like you want to play. If you want to be a tight band, then your rehearsals need to be that way.

Just food for thought.

Archived