Help getting through the final set

ned911

• Members

I've been having some trouble lately getting through the last set without major brain farts. Seems to be a bigger problem on Friday night gigs when I've had to work all day or Saturday's when we play Friday night as well.

I'm pretty sure it's fatigue related.

Any idea's? More coffee?

• Members

It IS fatigue related. I run into the same thing every now and then myself (just one more reason that it sucks getting old).

I try to stack the deck in my favor as much as I can - which translates into the following:

1. Avoiding the booze ALL night (a couple of drinks early in the night only worsens the last set crash for me).

2. I avoid heavy caffination as well. I find that too much caffeine leaves me a little jittery - awake but struggling with staying focused.

3. Doing anything/everything I can to get a nap before starting the night on stage.

4. Arranging the set list to ensure that the "brainy-er" tunes come early in the night and that the last set is mindless rock and roll. (The fact that the crowd is usually at their drunkest at this point of the evening makes this not such a big deal).

5. Acknowledging that my source of being tired isn't just a "gig day" event - and making sure that I get a full nights' sleep for a couple of days before gig day. An 18 hour "gig day" (6:00 am "work wake up" through 2:00 am "last call") as the culminating event at the end of 2-3 days of burning the midnight oil is a recipe for disaster for me.

• Members

i usually have a twinkie and a 20oz bottle of Coke before the third set. It helps that our last set is less than 40 minutes long, so I can get through it without too much trouble.

I also agree with the previous poster about stacking the final set with really easy {censored}. 3 chords or less if you can help it!

• Members

i usually have a twinkie and a 20oz bottle of Coke before the third set. It helps that our last set is less than 40 minutes long, so I can get through it without too much trouble.

I also agree with the previous poster about stacking the final set with really easy {censored}. 3 chords or less if you can help it!

Keeping hydrated is important too - my last gig I brought gatorade and hit it pretty heavy before the last set.

A few carbos and water usually does the trick for me.

+1000 on keeping the last set to easy tunes - that's critical.

• Members

how many and how long are the sets you're doing?

i see alot of guys talking about doing 3 or 4 sets whereas justa bout every cover band (mine included) over here does 2x45 minute sets so getting fatigued / too drunk isn't usually an issue

• Members

I find that carbs and water, and sometimes a red bull (most bars stock it) are the answer. You are using a lot of brain power, plus muscles, etc. on a gig. The brain needs a constant source of blood sugar, and fades quickly without it...I am amazed at how much carbs (granola bars, pure fruit juice) and water I need on a gig.

Soda leaves me wired, and coffee leaves me with the jitters. What you need are good honest food-related carbs, not junk food and caffeine.

On nights I am not playing, I cannot consume anywhere near the same amount. And go easy on the booze.

• Members

Water, lots of it!

I try my best to get a nap or a decent set of good night's sleep in a row during the end of the week....

Eat a high protein meal for dinner, but don't eat within two hours of playing (at least I don't, makes me feel odd when I play full...)

I bring a clif's bar and hit it (ABOUT HALF OF IT) between the 2nd and third sets, then again between the 3rd and 4th sets.

Two sets? I've been playing in cover bands for over 10 years and haven't ever run into a 2 hour gig unless it was a special event or benefit show..... always been 4 X 45 min sets for me (or 3 X 1 hr 20 min)

• Members

i see alot of guys talking about doing 3 or 4 sets whereas justa bout every cover band (mine included) over here does 2x45 minute sets so getting fatigued / too drunk isn't usually an issue

2 forty fives would be a cakewalk. I often did one 90 minute set, 20 minute break, a 70 minute set, 10 break, 40 minutes and went home. Or a 70, 20 break, 70, 20 break, 60. I like long sets because festivals are usually 75-90 minute sets, and concerts are anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes depending on if you're opening or headlining.

Some gigs I did back in the 80s were 9pm-2am. Alaska was often 9pm-3am.

• Members

2 forty fives would be a cakewalk. I often did one 90 minute set, 20 minute break, a 70 minute set, 10 break, 40 minutes and went home. Or a 70, 20 break, 70, 20 break, 60. I like long sets because festivals are usually 75-90 minute sets, and concerts are anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes depending on if you're opening or headlining.

Quiet, you two! You'll scare the children! :eek::D

• Members

Two 45s??? As a cover act - most bar work / private party gigs work that we do works out to roughly 180 minutes worth of music (i.e., 4 x 45). Sometimes a little more - especially if there's a cocktail hour or dinner set required.

The only time we ever see a shorter night is the summertime "concert in the park" stuff we do. It's definitely a luxury to do a 90 minute "concert" set! There's something about cherry picking the set list for nothing but "A List" material - and not having to give "saving the pipes" any thought during the evening - not to mention knowing that you're going to be home by midnight that always puts a smile on your face!

• Members

yeah we got it easy.

there's one local bar that has bands doing 3 x 45 minute sets every sunday at the end of the month but that's because the band starts at 6 so are done by ten.

i don't think i'd enjoy doing 4 sets. if we went by our usual tariff that we do for 2 sets we'd be expecting...... $1200 for the 2 of us which no bar is going to pay and that's if we just said k we'll do four sets, double the money, chances are we'd expect a higher rate for playing longer.

• Members

Same here, 4x45's or 3x60's.

Thanks for the tips I'll bring something to eat tomorrow night and lay off the coffee after 10am.

I'm not much of a boozer and can make a 6 pack last about 3-4 months around the house.

• Members

Around here you are expected to play from 9:30 - 1:30. We always run out of time before we run out of energy or songs to play.

Max

next scheduled gig we've got just now will probably go 9-9:45 then 10:15-11 unless they have specific requests for when we play.

the rest of the time we (well me since my bro's the driver) will be at the bar whilst the laptop DJ's (and earns more money) for us

livin the dream man, livin the dream:D

• Members

ALWAYS MORE COFFEE... but DO try and stay healthy (not the easiest thing for some music types!).

I'm assuming you're not getting loaded or pigging out, either of which can certainly slow you down.

You don't say how long this has been going on, could this be due to some change in schedule or routine?

• Members

yeah we got it easy.

i don't think i'd enjoy doing 4 sets. if we went by our usual tariff that we do for 2 sets we'd be expecting...... $1200 for the 2 of us which no bar is going to pay and that's if we just said k we'll do four sets, double the money, chances are we'd expect a higher rate for playing longer.

how the hell do you get $600 for 90 min of music? we play from 10-2 or 930-130/2 whenever we play out and we usually only take a 10-15 min break inbetween sets. we get $400.... :mad:

• Members

how the hell do you get $600 for 90 min of music? we play from 10-2 or 930-130/2 whenever we play out and we usually only take a 10-15 min break inbetween sets. we get $400....
:mad:

Well, he does live in Scotland.

I doubt the exchange rate is 1:1 - not sure what he makes in American dollars...

• Members

One of the things I found to help is exercise.

When I first joined a band I was running marathons. I had no problem staying focused and fatigue was never a problem. Now. I'm fat and stagnant. And. I find that after set 2 I just want to go home and sleep.

The more you exercise (within limits) the more energy you have. And. The longer you can go before fatigue sets in, no matter what you're doing. ;)

I don't know anything about you and what you do. So. This may be off base. But. Instead of doing the things to avoid fatigue at 12:00 am on Saturday, do the things to avoid fatigue all week.

Archived