Where to go next.

• Members

Hey, my firend, (he drums, I play guitar) are in a little band together. We are not super good, but we can play about 10 songs pretty well. Obviously, we need a bass player, but, I was wondering, where do you go next?

We are only in High School, so obviously this can't be a full time thing. Our current goal is to play in the battle of the bands at our school, and first, find a bass player.

But what after that? I want to write originals, but I am afraid that they will not be good, but I don't want to exclusively do cover tunes.

Also, how do you go about getting gigs? (Once we get better...)

Thanx

• Members

I want to write originals, but I am afraid that they will not be good, but I don't want to exclusively do cover tunes.

You have to write the bad ones before the good ones will come out. Songwriting is a craft, and like any craft, you will get better the more you practice it. Just start writing.

:thu:

• Members

Even if the first ones are not that great, in a few years you can rework them. And it will be a lot of fun. Maybe you will even find them to be awesome with a little tinkering and hard work.

Then again, your first song or first songs may be "teh {censored}!", get you to tour the world and sail the seven seas. Loads of free booze and drugs, sex and deniro!

• Members

Also, you'll need about 30 more songs to gig regular night clubs. Tommy James formed his first band the Shondells when he was about 14 years old. They lasted 14 years. (Had several number one hits - etc.) He was 28 before he had to look at "work". Think he's running the oldies circuit now.

While you are still young, experiment with the music. A lot of creativity seems available to young adults.

Good luck!

• Members

Jamming in High school. This is an exciting time... First enjoy your music as it is. Dont waste time with critics. Keep your stuff off the web until much later. I worked with a young band that let detractors get to them.

There's a closet bass player some where at your high school. Networking at HS is a hell of alot easier than hitting the streets.

Befriend people in other bands. Ask to sit in on a rehearsal. I been playing for over 15 years. I still try and catch up with witha few of the local band. They know I just like hanging around the music.

I wish their were forums like this when I was in HS. PS-If you gig always give them more than their money's worth.

• Members

You can maybe try to find a guitar player willing to play bass since you have more or less a band as is.

The other option is to play 7 string and get some bass notes from that. If you want to go further then do as the guy from local H did, he screwed on a bass guitar pickup to his guitar just covering the 2-3 lower note strings. http://www.localh.com/ They were on the radio back when grunge was stil on the radio. He ran it through an octave pedal to octave down or whatever setting was needed and plug that pickup into a bass amp, instant perfectly synced bass! No need for anything else. You can also by a bypass switch to switch to a tuner and silence the a amp and play just the guitar or the bass for an intro or a solo of some kind.

The other thing is to give yup the guitar for bass and get a guitar player. Guitar players are easier to find than bass players. The drummer is difficult to find to. You can get a playable bass for $100 from rondo music.

• Members

You have to write the bad ones before the good ones will come out. Songwriting is a craft, and like any craft, you will get better the more you practice it. Just start writing.

:thu:

And don't stop writing. You have to practice writing like you have to practice guitar - more time with it makes it a friend rather than just plain work.

Keep playing with anybody and everybody you can. Don't expect everyone to stay, but don't ever burn bridges with someone you find you can work well with, even if he/she is not the most awesomely talented person you've ever met - better to play with a good musician that is easy to get along with than a prodigy who's an asshole. I like the idea of asking other bands if you can open for them, but I'll go a step further and say be sure you talk to some of the folks in those bands to build up your network of musical contacts - it'll help you on down the road. Build bridges, not walls.

And if the music scene seems to get dry for a little while, take it from a person who's been on both sides of this little piece of advice: Don't ever sell your gear unless it's to step up to something better. Better to have some old gear around and ready when you need it again (and you will) than to have to start all over from scratch.

And always remember to try to have fun, even if some of it seems like work!

Just some words based on practical experience... Good luck! :cool:

Archived