I'm flying tommorrow. Any tips?

J.Paul

• Members

According to Northwest Airlines , carryones (such as guitars) cannot exceed 45". Either this is standard policy that gets a blind eye and is not enforced or musician/guitarists do not fly Northwest.

Anyone got any feedback. Another airlne???So on and so forth....

• Members

The thing to do is to get there early and board with the first group of people to board the plane - handicapped people and those "requiring special assistance." That's generally what the airlines will tell you to do. The special assistance you want is to put your guitar in the front closet. 90% of the time or better this works, although you must have the guitar in a gig bag, most of the airlines will not accept hardshell cases. It also helps to phone ahead and make sure the particular aircraft you're flying on has front closets. Some of the smaller planes don't.

The downside is that if it doesn't work - if the closets are already full by the time you board or they just feel like not accommodating you (which does happen) - you will have to check the guitar as baggage. And it would suck beyond all suckage to have to check it in a gig bag!

The safest route would be to get a flight case for your guitar and check it from the get-go. And just don't bring an especially valuable axe. You can also call ahead and ask the airline what they would recommend to do in terms of carrying the guitar on, but even if they tell you what to do and you do exactly what they say, there's a chance you will not be allowed to carry it on.

• Members

I flew Southwest from Portland to Spokane with my acoustic guitar and gig bag. It wasn't nearly a full flight so I was able to just put my guitar in the overhead bin right above my seat. Probably a good idea to board early if possible like Lee said. I also have a friend that suggested loosening the string tension just a hair. Not sure if that really matters or not.

• Members

I've probably made over 100 domestic flights in the past 2 years with a guitar. I've only run into an issue one time, at LaGuardia in NYC. Ironically, I had flown in there with my guitar, but for some reason they wouldn't let me carry it on as I left. Here are my tips:

~Blackbelt

• Members

I usually play guitars made in the fifties and sixties, guitars that I would never ever consider putting on a plane. So I bought an Eastwood Airline Harmony Stratotone copy, a really short guitar with a small body, that is small enough that I can stick it in a small gig bag and put it in the overhead compartment. I will be doing just that in January when I go spend a week in the Keys.

• Members

I usually play guitars made in the fifties and sixties, guitars that I would never ever consider putting on a plane. So I bought an Eastwood Airline Harmony Stratotone copy, a really short guitar with a small body, that is small enough that I can stick it in a small gig bag and put it in the overhead compartment. I will be doing just that in January when I go spend a week in the Keys.

Roy,

Size doesn't matter. :p

I carry a Fender Strat onboard everywhere - I never travel on a plane WITHOUT it. My job involves traveling a lot, as I direct live network sports events. My Strat has easily been able to fit in the overheads of every plane I've been on. I did have one flight on a plane that had no overheads at all (never had seen that before) but the guitar went into the coat closet. My Strat has never sustained any damage at all; for that matter, it's usually still in tune when I take it out of the gig bag.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Yeah, that's what bugs me too. Basically it's like they're saying, "It's OK to bring a guitar on... sort of... but the rule against it is there if we feel like messing with you." I myself have only had an issue once, and that was on a return flight from the UK where the guitar was in a hardshell case. But a friend of mine who'd flown dozens of times with his guitar in a gig bag was refused about a year ago, and no amount of arguing would get them to relent. He had to get a friend to take his guitar home, and make the trip without it (he ended up using borrowed guitars). Good thing it wasn't on the return flight that he had the problem!

• Members

Roy,

Size doesn't matter.
:p

I carry a Fender Strat onboard everywhere - I never travel on a plane WITHOUT it. My job involves traveling a lot, as I direct live network sports events. My Strat has easily been able to fit in the overheads of every plane I've been on. I did have one flight on a plane that had no overheads at all (never had seen that before) but the guitar went into the coat closet. My Strat has never sustained any damage at all; for that matter, it's usually still in tune when I take it out of the gig bag.

~Blackbelt

It's good to know that. One of the reasons I decided to buy that small Eastwood Stratotone copy is that my favorite solidbody to play is a mid-1950s Harmony H44 Stratotone.

• Members

I agree with blabkbelt1 and about using a gig bag if possible.... In January I traveled from Dallas to Newark with a full sized Jackson hard case. My flight attendant friend said no problem, you'll get on but neither airport let me on with it. I had to check it. They did mark it "special handling" whatever that means..... Luckily I was prepared and had a nice sturdy case but I was nervous nonetheless. Back to the gig bag, I saw at least 5 people walking the airport with gig bags so go figure. Pre 9-11 I carried guitars on all the time.....

• Members

What guitars do you have that are longer than 45"?? Just curious, if the scale length is around 24-ish, there isn't an extra 20 inches of body....

I put my basses in cases and check them, never had any problems. I have a 'Fragile' sticker on my acoustic case that Delta airlines put on it for me, never had any issues with it either...

• Members

What guitars do you have that are longer than 45"?? ..

+1

... and I've checked guitars (electric and acoustic) with a decent hard-shell case and never had any problems... knock on wood. Personally, I am more concerned about it getting lost than damaged, so I won't bring a guitar that means a great deal to me.

• Members

.... and one more thing. :idea:

I flew a lot until very recently, and I saw many episodes with people and large items/overhead vs. closet/gate check messes. Flight attendants are like the cops and noise complaints. There are some rules or guidelines for sure, but it's up to them and they can help you or blow you outta the water. Just sayin. It's best to be nice and smile a lot. :D

• Members

i'm going to second this. I fly all over the place with my guitar in one hand, my laptop in my backpack and sometimes my marshall head in the other. sometimes i get caught but theres nothing they can do. find the closet.

i tried the whole flight case thign. ended up shipping the flight cases empty and carrying the guitar and amp on the plane. they weigh too much to go into regular baggage and not get charged.

I've probably made over 100 domestic flights in the past 2 years with a guitar. I've only run into an issue one time, at LaGuardia in NYC. Ironically, I had flown in there with my guitar, but for some reason they wouldn't let me carry it on as I left. Here are my tips:

Archived