Opening for Robin Trower

Jimi Ray Halen

• Members

WAY cool, and I completely understand.

A month or so ago my band opened up for Helix, a Canadian metalish act that got some big airplay in the 80's with "Make Me Do anything You Want" and "Rock You". The only original member is Brian Volmer, but he was most of the band. I met him, he was very cool. I have admired his stuff for a while, he is a trained (Bella Canto) vocalist and teaches it as well.

We did not get paid. We sold tickets, but it was not obligatory. The owner drumped a bunch of drink tickets on us at the end.

Like most posters here, I agree, I will not pay to play, and this was at the limit for me, but it was also the highlight of my musical career, and looks good on the old musical resume. We are now being considered for gigs at much better joints because of it.

Because we did the Helix opener, the bar has asked up to open for Nazareth. The same deal, if we sell enough tickets we get paid. The down side for me is this is Nazareth with Manny Carlton, NOT the original with Dan MacCaffery.

The kicker for me, however, is the bar is working on a gig with Finger 11, and we might get the opener for that. THAT would be a the musical high point of my career!!!!!

And sure, I hate to leave the house for no dough, but the upside is I don't have to drag, set up, and run the PA, stay till 3 in the morning, and play to an empty house and fight with an owner over no draw. These opening gigs are GREAT. Work with Pro sound guys, have a good sized audience to get exposure, very little gear to shuck, see and maybe meet a good professional band, and get home to bed at a reasonable hour.

To COOL and good lucking with your opener!!!

Cheers!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congrats! That would be very cool. However...

Do it for the experience and personal satisfaction. It won't mean {censored} on your resume' since anybody in the business who knows the business, also knows these gigs are usually freebies and they also know these jobs typically draw inexperienced, out-of-work (or low work) bands.

A business acquaintence back in Michigan had a Limo service. He got a call from Clint Black's people asking if he wanted to pick up Clint at the airport and take him to his hotel...Gratis! He was actually expected to do it free of charge just for the "honor" of toting around a self-important moron. He politely said "I have plenty of business, and besides, I don't even like country Music. Thank you for asking".

Just my 2 cents
Brian

• Members

Congrats! That would be very cool. However...

Do it for the experience and personal satisfaction. It won't mean {censored} on your resume' since anybody in the business who knows the business, also knows these gigs are usually freebies and they also know these jobs typically draw inexperienced, out-of-work (or low work) bands.

A business acquaintence back in Michigan had a Limo service. He got a call from Clint Black's people asking if he wanted to pick up Clint at the airport and take him to his hotel...Gratis! He was actually expected to do it free of charge just for the "honor" of toting around a self-important moron. He politely said "I have plenty of business, and besides, I don't even like country Music. Thank you for asking".

Just my 2 cents

Brian

You're absolutely right there as well. It might not mean anything in the biz but it means a lot for personal experience.

• Members

You do it for the exposure, the experience and publicity. Hopefully, you will be listed as one of the performing acts. Way, way back when I was in an original music band, we opened for some big name acts that came through town. There were three acts on the concert bill at the time and we were the opening act. The headliner played last. We were kinda known around town at the time but it was just fun because it was a concert stage with a headliner. The first time is was Jethro Tull. Their bass player came and spoke with us about the amps we were using because he liked the sound. We were using Webb cabinets with Eminence 15's and dual showman heads. Tull was using Marshall I think with a WEM PA. The second time was with Three Dog Night as headliner and Cat Stevens as the second act. They didn't say a word to us. We didn't have to do anything but show up at the right time and play. But for a 20 yr. old kid, it was a dream come true.

• Members

You do it for the exposure, the experience and publicity. Hopefully, you will be listed as one of the performing acts. Way, way back when I was in an original music band, we opened for some big name acts that came through town. There were three acts on the concert bill at the time and we were the opening act. The headliner played last. We were kinda known around town at the time but it was just fun because it was a concert stage with a headliner. The first time is was Jethro Tull. Their bass player came and spoke with us about the amps we were using because he liked the sound. We were using Webb cabinets with Eminence 15's and dual showman heads. Tull was using Marshall I think with a WEM PA. The second time was with Three Dog Night as headliner and Cat Stevens as the second act. They didn't say a word to us. We didn't have to do anything but show up at the right time and play. But for a 20 yr. old kid, it was a dream come true.

that's cool! Our name is fortunately on the concert bill so maybe local people will remember our name more.

• Members

I couldn't do that for free. Robin Trower is getting paid. You should get paid too.

We will actually be getting paid and this is not a pay to play situation. We are not responsible for tickets not sold and we get a cut (albiet a very small one!) of the ticket price.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just a quick update. We opened for RT Sat. and it was the most fun I've ever had playing live music. It was {censored}ing awesome walking out onto a huge stage in front of 2000 screaming people, what a rush! Just hitting that first chord and hearing it rock the room - damn! - what a feeling of power. The lights, the video screens.......
All you folks that have experienced this know the feeling. I don't know how it could ever get old.
First time for me so don't laugh too much. But it was a total blast.

We went over really well too. Which is always good.
Plus we got a really nice dressing room, catering, etc. Free.
All the facility's staff were cool and totally pro.
Got to hang out with RT's folks and they were all cool. RT stayed in his dressing room mostly but I got to say hi. And he signed my Strat.

Plus we got paid just about what we usually get at a bar or club. We only had to sell 50 tickets and we went past that. Sold a lotta merch.

Only had to carry my rig and guitars. Out the door by midnight.

My wife had a great time too.

I tell ya' - I could get used to this kind of thing real easily. :)

• Members

Play-for-free-forever musician above. :D

So, how far down the totem pole do these "legends" :rolleyes: have to go before they find the starstruck fanboys to play for nothing? I mean, the caterer and the janitor got paid. The better bands in the region turned them down.

• Members
Play-for-free-forever musician above.
:D

So, how far down the totem pole do these "legends"
:rolleyes:
have to go before they find the starstruck fanboys to play for nothing? I mean, the caterer and the janitor got paid. The better bands in the region turned them down.

Whatever.

He had 2000 people come see him Sat. and hang on his every note.

Those same people liked my playing too. How do I know? 'Cause a bunch them told me so. People I've never seen before. People that wouldn't have heard my band if we didn't do the gig.

And you?

And we did get paid, Einstein. :freak:

Anytime I happen to meet a legend I'm going to get them to sign my strat. Something wrong with that, too?

Like I said, whatever. :rolleyes:

Anyway, half of the set were originals and they went over well. First time we played 2 of them.

I enjoyed every second of it and I'd do it again. That set seemed like 2 minutes. Went by in a flash. It was worth it just for the experience. Another great memory. And that's what life's about.

Back to reality next weekend but that's OK. Just glad to be playing. I don't mind the bars.

oh, yeah, genius boy - I'll get paid for that gig also - just like the next 50 - 100 or whatever.

• Members
Awesome. Did you get any pics/video?

And how was RTs set? Man that guy has to be gettin' old by now...

We were allowed to video our set. I imagine it'll show up on our website. They let us take pictures too.

That was another new one for me - pro photogs taking pictures while I was playing. Kinda' cool.

He played for about 90 mins. or so and did mostly old RT stuff - no PH. Bridge of Sighs was most excellent. He sets a mood with his tone. When he hit the first few notes of it I looked at my friend and said "time to light a big fattie, ain't it?" And he said "I was going to ask you for some acid." :) Back in the day........
But he played really well, did all his "famous" songs and I don't think anybody was disappointed.

• Members

It is just a pay to play situation but at least you get to hang around and see a very good band perform some tunes. You might get to expose your band to some new potential fans also.

I am so against pay to play that I would probably turn down that opportunity to sell tickets for the venue for free.

Max

• Members
Just a quick update. We opened for RT Sat. and it was the most fun I've ever had playing live music. It was {censored}ing awesome walking out onto a huge stage in front of 2000 screaming people, what a rush! Just hitting that first chord and hearing it rock the room - damn! - what a feeling of power. The lights, the video screens.......

All you folks that have experienced this know the feeling. I don't know how it could ever get old.

First time for me so don't laugh too much. But it was a total blast.

We went over really well too. Which is always good.

Plus we got a really nice dressing room, catering, etc. Free.

All the facility's staff were cool and totally pro.

Got to hang out with RT's folks and they were all cool. RT stayed in his dressing room mostly but I got to say hi. And he signed my Strat.

Plus we got paid just about what we usually get at a bar or club. We only had to sell 50 tickets and we went past that. Sold a lotta merch.

Only had to carry my rig and guitars. Out the door by midnight.

My wife had a great time too.

I tell ya' - I could get used to this kind of thing real easily.
:)

Awesome man, sounds like a great time! Catering and a dressing room? :eek:
I wonder if we get that kind of treatment. Where did you play at? It sounds like he's been selling iout a lot of places he is playing which means a good crowd.

I'm so excited for Friday, this will be my first real rock concert experience also! It will be sad to go back to playing dive bars. :)

Did you go on right before Trower or were there other openers?

• Members
Play-for-free-forever musician above.
:D

So, how far down the totem pole do these "legends"
:rolleyes:
have to go before they find the starstruck fanboys to play for nothing? I mean, the caterer and the janitor got paid. The better bands in the region turned them down.

What a jerkoff. The guy had a great time and got to play for a large crowd alongside one of the great guitarists of our time. Do you feel better now that you {censored} in his wheaties? :rolleyes:

• Members

It is just a pay to play situation but at least you get to hang around and see a very good band perform some tunes. You might get to expose your band to some new potential fans also.

I am so against pay to play that I would probably turn down that opportunity to sell tickets for the venue for free.

Max

How is that pay-to-play if he is getting a cut of the tickets and is not expected to front the money for them? This forum seems to get out of hand with the P-2-P stuff.

• Members
Awesome man, sounds like a great time! Catering and a dressing room?
:eek:
I wonder if we get that kind of treatment. Where did you play at? It sounds like he's been selling iout a lot of places he is playing which means a good crowd.

I'm so excited for Friday, this will be my first real rock concert experience also! It will be sad to go back to playing dive bars.

Did you go on right before Trower or were there other openers?

We played at a place called Ram's Head Live in Baltimore and we went on before him - no other acts. We sorta played stuff that Trower fans might like and our originals are blues/rock anyway so people liked us. You never know who's out there in a crowd that big. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those folks come out to see us locally. Might even get some work out of it too. That's why I like playing these kind of things. Same with big outdoor festivals - more people - more potential fans.

Redhouse slayed. I mean killed. :)

As far as the p-t-p thing goes - we didn't have to sell tickets if we just wanted to play for free. But we got a percentage so we moved some. It isn't that difficult with someone like RT. We sold most of them at gigs and had to get some more. But it was a sold-out show. And we moved some merch. so we did alright. No doubt. I went into it for the exposure and the experience and with an positive attitude. If I made some money, cool. Selling tickets was easy. I mean you're playing to rooms full of drunks and you have a mic. Geez.

Sometimes it's the little things that tickle me. Like hearing my band's name on the radio and seeing it on the ticket stub along with RT. I ain't old and jaded yet. Well, old maybe...... :cool:

Let's put it this way - if we get the chance to do this again we'd be stupid not to.

With this asinine smoking ban in effect the smaller venues are taking a hit in the wallet. We may lose some places to play 'cause of that b.s. It just went into effect but the owners and staff hate it. For some reason they hate losing money. Go figure.

So if you want to play for pay you do what you have to.
If somebody wanted me to lose money and pay them just for the privilege of getting up on stage - no thanks. :freak:

• Members
We played at a place called Ram's Head Live in Baltimore and we went on before him - no other acts. We sorta played stuff that Trower fans might like and our originals are blues/rock anyway so people liked us. You never know who's out there in a crowd that big. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those folks come out to see us locally. Might even get some work out of it too. That's why I like playing these kind of things. Same with big outdoor festivals - more people - more potential fans.

Redhouse slayed. I mean killed.

As far as the p-t-p thing goes - we didn't have to sell tickets if we just wanted to play for free. But we got a percentage so we moved some. It isn't that difficult with someone like RT. We sold most of them at gigs and had to get some more. But it was a sold-out show. And we moved some merch. so we did alright. No doubt. I went into it for the exposure and the experience and with an positive attitude. If I made some money, cool. Selling tickets was easy. I mean you're playing to rooms full of drunks and you have a mic. Geez.

Sometimes it's the little things that tickle me. Like hearing my band's name on the radio and seeing it on the ticket stub along with RT. I ain't old and jaded yet. Well, old maybe......
:cool:

Let's put it this way - if we get the chance to do this again we'd be stupid not to.

With this asinine smoking ban in effect the smaller venues are taking a hit in the wallet. We may lose some places to play 'cause of that b.s. It just went into effect but the owners and staff hate it. For some reason they hate losing money. Go figure.

So if you want to play for pay you do what you have to.

If somebody wanted me to lose money and pay them just for the privilege of getting up on stage - no thanks.
:freak:

I hear ya man, its a chance you can't pass up. Unfortunately the promoter for our show Friday are jerks and do put a lot of pressure on you but we are still not required to sell anything, we'll just never get another show there.

The only thing that bums me out is that we are going on first and only get a 30 minutes set. Hopefully there will still be somewhat of a crowd that early in the night but I don't have my hopes up. If we can make new fans while selling merch than that's good enough for me.

Archived