How Do You Judge a Gig?

b1ackie

• Members

I think there are two ways to judge a gig:

1) Business - did you get people into the venue AND keep them there.

2) Music - did you play up to your potential and really get that synergy as a band.

#2 is great and always makes me feel good, and #1 makes the venue happy and gets you re-booked. If you can get both going on any night, it's all the better.

• Members
Married and my wife comes to most of my gigs....Does that count?

My husband comes to some gigs, certainly not all. He's never jealous about me being a woman in a band out in bars though. He doesn't mind that other men sometimes try to hit on me either, because he knows there is no way I'm going for anything like that. And he knows I'm coming home to him and I'm always happier and therefore more amorous towards him in general when my musical life has me on a high. (Calling me "rockstar" always gets him on my good side ;)

Geez, I didn't respond to the thread topic, did I? I find I am way too harsh a critic. I rarely have a night where I think I did my very best or the band was just magic all night. Usually, I know it was very good. Occassionally you have an off night and you just have to say, hey - it happens. It was still good just not flawless.

It does help when you have audience praise (although as someone else said, you can't always know from that) and getting booked back is definitely a type of measure, as is seeing return faces in the crowd from gig to gig...

• Members

As a singer/guitarist I am incredibly critical of my voice. I dont think I'm all that good but the guys I was in a band (back then) with always said what a good vocalist I was. I was able to stay close to tune for the most part and hold a note. Beyond that I always felt my singing was very average.

In some cases it is a sign of being humble.
In other cases it was a sign of someone knowing they F'd up and needing a couple of "Nooooo you were really good!" comments to perk up his mood..

• Members

It all comes down to if the crowd had a good time. Everything else is non consequential. We've played shows where we screwed up all over the place, sound was crap, and the singer was losing his voice, but the crowd was fantastic. We've also played shows where we sounded great and no one in the place could care less, most likely because the game was on....lol.

Archived