What makes "Mustang Sally" such a bar favorite?

New Trail

• Members

Whether we like it or not, certain songs, such as Mustang Sally, work in a bar/dance club. Others, like Brown Eyed Girl, Old Time Rock and Roll, Sharp Dressed Man, et. al. work too. We all know it and a lot of us hope to try to ignore it.

Not to get into a debate over whether to play them vs. playing songs WE like, or even to play covers vs. originals, but WHAT, in musical terms, makes those songs what they are? Is it purely a good beat that even the most unrhythmic person can get? Would a different set of lyrics with the EXACT same beat as Mustang Sally work? Or is is that most of these are songs the crowd can sing along with? Is it just familiarity? Or is it something else?

Any ideas?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Never could understand. Mostly familiarity, I think. And they pretty much expect every band to know them. Mustang sally especially, I never got, as it's kind of a boring song.

I've worked at a bar, and not once did I ever hear someone play Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl on the jukebox, yet every time I play with my band, we get multiple requests. :idk:

• Members

Actually, I can remember a time, in the mid-80s (early in my playing career), when that song was not all that popular.

The band I was in didn't play it, because we never got a request for it.

But then it was suddenly revived by being lumped in with the 60s/oldies revival courtesy of The Big Chill and Dirty Dancing.

A few years later, The Commitments boosted the song's popularity even further, :mad: and from then on...there was no turning back.

I knew it was all over for us musicians, when they actually started *line dancing* to it.:freak:

• Members

Mustang Sally is popular IMO because the original version has a groove that noone else comes close too. Usually bands screw it up by playing it too fast but that's not the only issue.

you have heard that people would screw up pooring piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel. The directions are in the lyrics of mustang sally ,,, you gotta slow your mustang down. I agree ,,pretty well everyone plays it too fast. rat

• Members

The lyrics are catchy.

The chorus invites singing, and can be sung by men and women, comfortably.

The song can be played by a beginner, though not necessarily well, it will be recognizable.

There are no tricky rhythmic variations or modulations; it's almost impossible to trainwreck, even when blind drunk.

It sounds like 20 other songs, so even when people don't quite recognize it, they still feel like they know it.

Every hack band in town has played it at least once to a crowd of screaming drunks, you should too.

not. :lol:

• Members

The directions are in the lyrics of mustang sally ,,, you gotta slow your mustang down. I agree ,,pretty well everyone plays it too fast. rat

Live bands playing songs "too fast" is nothing new though.

Not saying It's right, I'm just sayin'.

Some songs just don't work live at the recorded tempo; Journey for example would always play certain tunes faster live.

I'm sure that was intentional, as they had Steve Smith back there, who is a very schooled and very precise drummer.

• Members

Ever since that movie "The Committments", Mustang Sally has been unavoidable. Its lyric content is unmistakably double-entendred... and folks dig that. Particularly the girls who get up on the dancefloor and do a slow but energetic grind every time the song gets played to folks who've had a couple of drinks (hint: put this song in your SECOND set).

face it ,, its a good song. For sure, alot more bands make fun of it than can knock it out of the park ..

• Members

Live bands playing songs "too fast" is nothing new though.

Not saying It's right, I'm just sayin'.

Some songs just don't work live at the recorded tempo; Journey for example would always play certain tunes faster live.

I'm sure that was intentional, as they had Steve Smith back there, who is a very schooled and very precise drummer.

Hmm speeding up motown or R&B is a mortal sin. Its somthing the hacks do.

• Members

Hmm speeding up motown or R&B is a mortal sin. Its somthing the hacks do.

True.

Knowing what songs NOT to play, is just as important as knowing what songs TO play.

It's band-specific.

We can tear up some Van Halen, but it would be a sin to try an oldies tune.

Some grey-hairs I see get up there to try and "shred" on rock would be better off playing the oldies, IMO.

• Members

Like the kids on American Bandstand used to say: "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it."

You can sing the words straight with a little bit of inflection...or you can change them to be somewhat racy. Either way, people are going to grind on the song and sing along on "Ride, Sally, ride".

We never put the song on our set list, but I insisted that we run through it when we were putting our band together. The guys looked at me like I was crazy, but we get a request for it at least once a month. Because I insisted we work it up, we're prepared when that happens, and everybody's happy.

I don't mind 'Mustang Sally'. We follow the Wilson Pickett version very closely, and that is still a cool track.

I'm just glad the requests for 'Mony Mony' have died down. Now THAT song I could live happily never doing again...

• Members

What drives me bonkers is that folks dig the Billy Idol version which IMO
sucks
next to the drive of the original Shondells version!

Mack rice wrote it and recorded it first ,in 65, then wilson picket covered it soon after and made it a big hit in I think 66. I dont think the shondells did it ,that i can remember,, tommy james was from niles michigan. I used to live there. But that said mustang sally has been covered by a ton of artist.

• Members

What drives me bonkers is that folks dig the Billy Idol version which IMO
sucks
next to the drive of the original Shondells version!

Mack rice wrote it and recorded it first ,in 65, then wilson picket covered it soon after and made it a big hit in I think 66. I dont think the shondells did it ,that i can remember,, tommy james was from niles michigan. I used to live there. But that said mustang sally has been covered by a ton of artist.

• Members

Mustang Sally is popular IMO because the original version has a groove that noone else comes close too. Usually bands screw it up by playing it too fast but that's not the only issue.

It's a great song if you play it right, which most everybody who professes to hate it doesn't do. I'm amazed that anyone requests the song considering how routinely it gets butchered by guitar players who just can't resist playing the horn changes. Get some horns and play it right or apologize to the crowd and tell them you can't play it because the horn section is in drug rehab.

Archived