Amp Stand...

T Dunn

• Members

Thought some of you might find this interesting. I quit gigging with heavy combos, and now run small amps with instrument mics thru the PA. Since we use in-ear monitors, I don't have to have loud stage volume. My problem was that I use a single-channel 5-watt Crate V58 tuber for my grit. For clean tones, I decided to use my little Fender Frontman 15R, with an Electro-Harmonix Switchblade to switch between the two. Running two amps, though small, became a footprint problem on small stages. I searched all over, but couldn't find an amp stand for two small amps. So this is how I solved my dilemma:

I was shearing some Stainless Steel panels at work, and we were tossing out the scrap strips that were left over. I cut some different lengths of 12-wide strips, and then TIG welded them together with some narrower strips to form an A-frame.

IMG_0447.JPG?imgmax=512

IMG_0448.JPG?imgmax=512

I then took a small die grinder with a Scotch Bright pad mounting, and got to shining up the metal while smoothing down the edges (stainless can be VERY sharp when fabricated), and added a kind of 'flamed' grain to the surfaces with the grinder.

IMG_0446.JPG?imgmax=512

As you can see, it's quite compact, hardly noticeable on stage, and keeps both amps tilted back and off the floor. Since it's shorter than the height of both amps, it doesn't shine in the stage lights. Plus, with it's Stainless Steel construction, I'll get many years of service from it without rust or corrosion.

IMG_0449.JPG?imgmax=512

• Members

Haven't really weighed it on a scale yet, but it's heavier than the V58. Definitely not something you want if you're weak!

Think about maybe putting some locking casters on the bottom there?

• Members

Stand is rigid, no folding.

Casters were thought of, but would be more weight, and I don't really move it around. I just carry it on stage, and set the amps in.

My sound engineer will adjust levels on the board so each is just under peak, then uses sliders for bringing up whichever amp is being used at the time. He also adds a little compression to even the output peaks, and a touch of reverb for ambiance.

• Members

There's nothing like a good amp rack/stand. I originally built mine 10 or more years ago when I began playing keyboards as well as guitar at gigs. It was a matter of necessity because I needed both a keyboard and guitar amp and often had to setup in limited space.

I discovered that the aluminum angle iron available at most home improvement stores makes the perfect framework material; it's light and real easy to work with (however in recent years the price has really gone up!).

The stand has been modified and repaired over the years as road pounding exposed weaknesses. It has wheels on the bottom as well as on the side which makes it rather unique in that you can use it vertically, or if you have the space you can set it down horizontally and set the amps side by side.

You'll also notice that I've installed rack mounts on the top section to make it even more versatile. There are two power strips on the back all soldered, bolted, siliconed, and tie wrapped for road worthiness.

It's really been a great gig travel companion and even serves as a safety block in the van by being laid horizontally right behind the seats. I used similar construction to build my mixer rack.

080625-AmpRack002-01.jpg

• Members

it's Stainless Steel construction, I'll get many years of service from it without rust or corrosion.

That's for sure. Stainless steel is rather expensive (as well as very hard to machine) which tends to keep it out of the budget of most home hobby builders.

Great work and resourceful thinking on your part however.:thu:

Archived