For cover band people: What do you download songs with?

New Trail

• Members

Lime Wire "Pro". Has built in security sytems & firewalls (you can set it to be able to download the files of others without sharing your own), plus my wife is something of a technonerd and if SHE's satisfied, then we're safe.

The U-Tube idea is ok, but my drummer has had some problems because he is always listening to "live" U-Tube versions of songs and the rest of us are using primarily MP3's or the CD's. You have to make sure everyone is learning from the same version. Sometimes songs are even in different keys and often are much slower or faster then the original recordings.

Yeah I can see how that could be. Probably just have to be careful to get the "music video" verion of a song.

LimeWire Pro may or may not be "good enough". Even if you're "only" downloading the transfer is *probably* still in cleartext (unencrypted) so anyone who cared could see the file header come by and know you were pulling down a song. P2P stuff has concentrated more lately on the "suppliers" vs the consumers (thus the RIAA's "making available" tactic), but C&Ds get sent to movie downloaders all the time. Granted, they are taking up more bandwidth for a longer time, and so are more noticable for people who are watching, but still.

(also a technonerd - for a living :D - it's sometimes one of my tasks to determine if someone's been doing something they're not supposed to be doing with a company computer)

• Members

First, I check my digitized 1500-CD collection and all my leftover radio station music. If it's not there, I check my bandmates' collections. If they don't have it, I'm a subscriber to the unlimited Rhapsody and Napster, so I check there. YouTube is the last resort for me, because I think it sounds like crap most of the time, and often the arrangements are messed up because they're the single edits.

If you're clever, there are ways to easily get the audio that you hear on your computer (from YouTube or Rhapsody/Napster - any of that stuff) into a format that can be shared.

Brian V.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have a ton of old cd's, tapes, and records so if I search I usually have older cover songs.........somewhere :rolleyes:

For newer songs, older songs that I know I don't have, or songs that I don't feel like looking for, I usually use Youtube.

I also have a radio hooked up to my computer. Sometimes I'll call/e-mail the apropriate station, request the song I'm looking for, set my recording program to record the next two hours, and walk away. That hasn't failed me yet.

• Members

A friend of mine has a program that will record anything that comes through his audio onto his computer as an mp3 or wave file. He said it came with his sound card update. He can record online samples, streaming radio stations, you name it - if it comes through his spreakers, he can record it. I'm looking to get it as I'm a cheapo that plays covers! :thu:

Archived