Last night's gig (irritated part 3)

Kramerguy

• Members

I agree with the above posters. This "band" seems like a completely lost cause. Maybe fire the bassist and drummer and keep the singer around and start something new, with songs you actually like playing. What's the point of doing songs you hate, if the rest of the band isn't even going to play them decently?

• Members
I agree with the above posters. This "band" seems like a completely lost cause. Maybe fire the bassist and drummer and keep the singer around and start something new, with songs you actually like playing. What's the point of doing songs you hate, if the rest of the band isn't even going to play them decently?

The reference to hating songs was in the sense of practicing a song so much that you get sick of hearing, and playing it, to the point of hatred. :thu:

• Members

Our bassist had an LSD flashback in the middle of a song. He forgot what song we were playing and got fascinated by the light across the room. It was the only song he screwed up that night. But it was one of those bad nights where you wish you could just call it quits and go home. Fortunately, those were rare.

• Members

well... you tell me.

I knew all the songs we were playing, by "knew", I meant that I know how to play them, you see, I practice them, a LOT. I hate them all. Thats how much I practice. I don't believe in going into anything unprepared.

If the other people in the band are not prepared, then it doesn't matter how ready you were. It takes the full effort from the entire group, and in reading your prefaces to this debacle, I would have never given booking a live gig a solitary thought, in the first place.

Listen to the songs on my band's myspace page...those were cut in a "studio-type setting". Not a true studio, but we set our rehearsal space up as close as we could to the real thing.

Anyway...the point is that those songs are how we sound, onstage, as well.

That's what you need to strive for. You may have to fire people, quit bands, kiss some ass, and put up with a lot of {censored}, for a long time, but never lose sight of what *you* want to sound like.

• Members

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like the other members see it as more of a chore than a band. If you are the band leader, this rests on your shoulders and your next band won't have those kinds of mistakes. If I remember correctly, I disagree with most things you post, but your story is a pretty {censored}ty situation I can sympathize with. I'd ditch the whole damn thing and rebuild. I suspect that practices/rehearsals are really lax. I understand the lead singer situation, if something like that happened with a tight band, the other members would step up with uber professionalism. Sounds like the opposite here.

You don't have to be Joe Satch, Chick Corea, or Stanley Clarke, or Lenny White, talent-wise, to be professional.

• Members

so how bad would that band have to be to quit?

i mean, thats a question you need to always have in your mind.

its called a "trigger". you can nurture the talents of a bad bass player, or coddle the minor intoxication of an otherwise good drummer, and of course, medical emergencies can happen to anyone including a talented singer.

the thing you need to have a "threshold" for is the likely result of your efforts. really, look carefully and consider if you are wasting your time or not. if they are really not going to cut it, move on. if one of them has the goods, try to keep them.

• Members
The real question is to ask the question backwards.

If you
weren't
in this band, if you had never been in this band, and you didn't know these people,
but you were asked to be in it
, would you join?

damn that's a good question. Without a doubt, no. I hadn't thought about it that way. I was looking at the time invested POV, successes, failures, friendships, taking too much into account.

I never booked those gigs, the drummer did, and while 2 months ago, we were gig ready, and started playing out, since we got this bass player, we've been going backwards. I think the time to stop gigging came a month ago, and I told the guys that, but as usual, they don't listen. They still think we sound great.

I got an email from one of them, all excited about how great our show was. I responded: "we're you at the same gig I was?!?" :facepalm:

• Members

If you have any pride in your craft (which it seems you do), don't waste another minute with these guys.
If not one of them is concerned about sounding like ass, or are just happy to be banging away on their instruments acting like rock stars, you have no chance of getting through to them.
Quit now. Screw the last gig. Do you really want to be embarrassed like that all over again? Tell the new singer that you're out and that you'd like to keep working with him to build a new band that gives a {censored} about sounding good.
BTW, what did the club owner/manager think? Did you get paid as though there were no problems?

• Members
I walked out of that place completely embarrassed, disgusted, and only icons can seem to describe my night:

God...terrible.

Dude you need to quit booking gigs with this "band"; you're not being asked back, and you're probably giving each club you play in one more reason to consider axing live music altogether.

For maximum satisfaction, make sure you record the bass player's most glaring mistake, then play it back for him in front of everybody, saying: "you think THAT sounds good? You're playing an F# over a G chord (or whatever his mistake may be)"

Actually that ain't as petty as it sounds - I've done it before when delusional wannabes have wasted my time; you'll probably be the first person in YEARS to find fault with their playing. :lol:

• Members

This is another reason for small bass amps for club gigs. (If it had only been 100 watts, would it have been too loud? Probably not.) It's also a vote against drinking booze at gigs. (Ditto on drugs.) Just like sex, that stuff should stay at home without the band.

Band leaders set the tone of expectation. If you drink at rehearsals and gigs, most of your musicians will too. If it's made clear upfront that this isn't acceptable, any musicians who stay won't have a problem.

• Members

I would have left as soon as the bass player pulled tab out. I can see maybe a chart or something here or there if he is a new band member. but tab?!? When he's been to practices and gigs with you guys. The guys a moron.

Bail now, take the singer with you. You might actually want to move to another town so no one knows you were even in that band.

• Members

Not trying to be an asshole but:

"When he's sober, he's a damn good drummer"

I heard some of the recordings and there was a general lack of solid groove, meter swayed back and forth; didn't sound like a tight drummer. Add in the drug issues, I have no idea why you would consider keeping him on. I dont live in a large city by any means, but there are still many many many options for drummers in town and many great players with availability, I would expect the same in most other cities.

• Members

Not trying to be an asshole but:

"When he's sober, he's a damn good drummer"

I heard some of the recordings and there was a general lack of solid groove, meter swayed back and forth; didn't sound like a tight drummer. Add in the drug issues, I have no idea why you would consider keeping him on. I dont live in a large city by any means, but there are still many many many options for drummers in town and many great players with availability, I would expect the same in most other cities.

I'm not saying you need to keep the guy but finding a good drummer isn't like finding a lead guitarist. Finding a good drummer means you have to share him with 2 other bands if you are lucky enough to have him play with you. I honestly think a good drummer might be the most difficult band member to find.

• Members

Our experience has been the most difficult finding bass players... they are few and far between out here. Of the few we do find they usually fall into two categories:

A. The bassist who just really isn't very good and picked the thing up thinking it would be easier than any other instrument.

B. The former guitarist who couldn't get into a band on lackluster or over-wankery guitar skills, so picked up a bass and plays it like a guitar, without understanding that it's a totally different instrument. Can't stand not being in the spotlight.

I rarely see this category:

C. Real bass player. Knows how to play, style and ability, and is creative enough to make it interesting without needing to be a showoff.

Our current bassist tricked us at the audition into thinking he was a member of "C", turns out, he's in the category "B" hall of fame.

• Members
Our experience has been the most difficult finding bass players... they are few and far between out here. Of the few we do find they usually fall into two categories:

A. The bassist who just really isn't very good and picked the thing up thinking it would be easier than any other instrument.

B. The former guitarist who couldn't get into a band on lackluster or over-wankery guitar skills, so picked up a bass and plays it like a guitar, without understanding that it's a totally different instrument. Can't stand not being in the spotlight.

I rarely see this category:

C. Real bass player. Knows how to play, style and ability, and is creative enough to make it interesting without needing to be a showoff.

Our current bassist tricked us at the audition into thinking he was a member of "C", turns out, he's in the category "B" hall of fame.

At least he isn't D - The guy who thinks Victor Wooten riffs work on ANY song regardless of genre. That guy is even less fun.

• Members

OMG I so forgot to mention his slapbass outbursts, not as common as his vocal ones, but he seems to insert them into the most inappropriate songs/parts of songs.

This guy is shaping up to be the poster-boy for the ultimate crap bassist club.

• Members

If you have any pride in your craft (which it seems you do), don't waste another minute with these guys.

If not one of them is concerned about sounding like ass, or are just happy to be banging away on their instruments acting like rock stars, you have no chance of getting through to them.

Quit now. Screw the last gig. Do you really want to be embarrassed like that all over again? Tell the new singer that you're out and that you'd like to keep working with him to build a new band that gives a {censored} about sounding good.

Sound advice.

Ditch those rock star losers and put something together with the singer if he agrees to follow you. If he doesn't, just walk away on your own. Your stock and reputation as a player will be destroyed hanging with those guys.

Archived