Anybody here make $$ selling their music?

• Members

I was up to over $50 at mp3.com before they closed the doors a few years back and I didn't get any of it. I believe I've still got a couple royalty checks around here that IUMA sent me in the amount of $0.10 or so.

I think I made around 350 bucks (it's hazy, it might have been 450) at Mp3.com on PfP (download/stream payments that, at their peak averaged about 4 cents US a DL) before they realized that they should have money coming in as well as going out. ;) [You could also make money by selling on demand CDs but I kept things separate because I was buying some of the CDs myself to sell at gigs as well as hand out as promo/gifts. (At one point you could order CDs on demand for about $2.40 a disk, w/ no minimum.)

On a good day, Mp3.com was paying for my morning double red-eye and bagel (on a very good day, a couple red-eyes... and one golden day I think I made close to 10 dollars!) Over the run of the program, it was probably closer to a cup of coffee a day... ;)

[PS... I have a check for 9 cents from IUMA. I figured when I got that, that they wouldn't be around for too long with that kind of business sense.]

• Members

I make about 35-70 bucks a month on CD Baby and since I've been on tunecore since June I've made about 50 bucks. Local stores I've make about another 50-100 a month though I don't get around to stock them much anymore. And when I do live gigs I make about 30-60 bucks a gig when I remember to bring CDs.

• Members

We make enough money to cover our practice space rent and fund future endeavors. I guess, most importantly, we haven't lost money on a record yet.

We sell our old EP and new EP together for $5 and will make anywhere from $25 to $75 a show, generally. Trying to sell stuff online at this point seems like a lost cause (you guys have proved it in this thread).

But it's hard selling records right now, you know?

Some friends of mine, who are on an imprint of Island/DefJam are selling burned copies of their full-length at shows (alongside the real one) because they can sell them for cheaper, make A LOT more money per unit, and pay their label back faster :cry:

Then again, the Flobots are kind of blowing everyone away around Denver's scene. They've sold over 220,000 records on just one single (that's technically been available for three years in one form or another locally). I guess that's what major label promotion does for you, right?

Some other friends of mine told me they were making about $800 a month on average from iTunes over the winter, but they were in the regular rotation as a local band on Clear Channel radio. It got 'em a record deal from Atlantic and it'll be interesting to see if their forthcoming record sells when it's released later this year.

• Members

I make about 35-70 bucks a month on CD Baby and since I've been on tunecore since June I've made about 50 bucks. Local stores I've make about another 50-100 a month though I don't get around to stock them much anymore. And when I do live gigs I make about 30-60 bucks a gig when I remember to bring CDs.

How do you drum up promotion on CDBaby? Is it pretty much a free for all where people just sample something and buy it?

Thanks for the input...

• Members

Now that's walking around money! (Ok, so I like Futurama...)

But seriously, it's enough to pay for a cell phone bill or a Comcast highspeed internet & digital cable bundle. I suppose that some people wouldn't be too happy with that but I'm a cheap bastard and would take that deal any day if and when I ever get my CD finished.

• Members

I don't work at it, I just send them CDs and they sell them.

I could probably sell more if I actually promoted.
:idea:

Interesting... do they have a section strictly for downloads? Forgive me for picking your brain; I will do my own research... I would like to pick your brain for strategies...

Mind an occasional PM? I'm currently recording (straight from the basement-- yeah, I know-- but I'm trying to learn engineering and the proper use of effects etc)

Archived