Sometimes you get the diamond in the rough, sometimes you get the lemon

6StringSling

• Members

Did I gather that this is your first time even attempting any of this? I wish you luck, bro - you're gonna need it.

What's luck got to do with it? I went to a technical high school in the 70's. I've taken courses in machine shop, automotive, sheet metal, electrical. electronics, plastics, pattern making, foundry and more. I've had 2 years each of mechanical drawing & archirecture - not CAD either; T-Square, triangles, french curves, compass. I've turned wood and metal on lathes, used milling machines, injection molders, vacuum molders, extruders, etc. I've spent almost 12 of the last 24 months doing remodeling for a senior center. I know how to handle tools and there is plenty of help on the Net if I need it when it comes to building your own guitar.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Or Jimmy Page (Danelectro, Silvertone), or Eddie Van Halen (Frankencaster was parts from a reject bin), or Bo Diddly (Log!) or Kurt Cobaine (Mustang. LOL.), or ...

I play a MIM p bass and yes, it has it quirks but the previous bassist in our band played a 2,500+ dollar Warwick and by all accounts (all of my current bandmembers have played with that guy and me) I blow him away in terms of tone, touch, feel and technique.

• Members

What's luck got to do with it? I went to a technical high school in the 70's. I've taken courses in machine shop, automotive, sheet metal, electrical. electronics, plastics, pattern making, foundry and more. I've had 2 years each of mechanical drawing & archirecture - not CAD either; T-Square, triangles, french curves, compass. I've turned wood and metal on lathes, used milling machines, injection molders, vacuum molders, extruders, etc. I've spent almost 12 of the last 24 months doing remodeling for a senior center. I know how to handle tools and there is plenty of help on the Net if I need it when it comes to building your own guitar.

Excellent.

Everyone laughed down Paul Reed Smith too when he got started (he had a similar background to yours - built his first guitar in high school in shop class with really zero luthier experience)

That said, I would expect it might take a few iterations to get it right, as it did for Smith.

• Members

:thu:

I was talking to some friends the other day, and one of them gave me the biggest compliment, which was, and I quote: "You know what the greatest thing about Josh's gear is? He only goes for the very best."

I stand behind that 100%. I've had guitars that cost $80, and I have a guitar which cost almost $4000 (and it's a strat, no less!). Let me tell you, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is better. When you're playing out regularly, recording, touring... You can't {censored} around with a peice of crap. You need the real thing, I'm afraid.

I guess the original poster would be horrified to know that after going through thirty-six guitars in my 11 years of playing, using Yamaha, Squier, Hamer, Epiphone, Burns, and Gretsch I have only seven guitars left, and all of them are Custom shop or USA Fenders and Gibsons
:cop:

Did I gather that this is your first time even attempting any of this? I wish you luck, bro - you're gonna need it. Be sure to post some pics when your masterpiece is finished!
;)

I much prefer compliments on my playing to compliments on my gear. :idea:

• Members

I much prefer compliments on my playing to compliments on my gear.
:idea:

+100! :thu:

I have seen guys with old guitars with amps that were falling apart, yet they had some of the best tone I've ever heard and guys with a bunch of new toys that sounded like robotic, futuristic crap stuck in an old classic rock song (not a good marriage of the two).

If you can work the tools with whatever you got, that's all that really matters. If that means you can only play your best with a $1500 guitar, knock yourself out. If you are certain you can achieve sonic nirvana with a $500 guitar, who's gonna stop you?

• Members

+100!

I have seen guys with old guitars with amps that were falling apart, yet they had some of the best tone I've ever heard and guys with a bunch of new toys that sounded like robotic, futuristic crap stuck in an old classic rock song (not a good marriage of the two).

If you can work the tools with whatever you got, that's all that really matters. If that means you can only play your best with a $1500 guitar, knock yourself out. If you are certain you can achieve sonic nirvana with a $500 guitar, who's gonna stop you?

This was played with a 150 dollar OLP; keys were korg triton LE and Alesis Micron (no it's not me playing guitar, it's our guitarist. Live - no overdubs or edits.)

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/222/heartbreak-solo.mp3

• Members

What's this troll post all about anyway? I doubt that very many people started out with $2500 Les Pauls, I certainly didn't.

The first electric guitar I bought with my own scratch was a Kay hollowbody at a sidewalk sale after earning some money detasseling corn in 8th grade.

As I became more interested and learned to play better I felt I deserved to own better equipment.

Later after playing in bands and making a few dollars I felt justified in upgrading my equipment.

Now, well into my 40's, I've accumulated some real nice gear that I'm very proud of and it kicks ass.

So now you're going to try and tell me your $50-150 dollar pile of firewood can equal the quality of my '76 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop? You sir, are full of crap!

• Members
What's this troll post all about anyway? I doubt that very many people started out with $2500 Les Pauls, I certainly didn't.

The first electric guitar I bought with my own scratch was a Kay hollowbody at a sidewalk sale after earning some money detasseling corn in 8th grade.

As I became more interested and learned to play better I felt I deserved to own better equipment.

Later after playing in bands and making a few dollars I felt justified in upgrading my equipment.

Now, well into my 40's, I've accumulated some real nice gear that I'm very proud of and it kicks ass.

So now you're going to try and tell me your $50-150 dollar pile of firewood can equal the quality of my '76 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop? You sir, are full of crap!

I just have to mention that the first time I read your post I thought it said "..earning some money DISTILLING corn" and I thought to myself "You were making f-ing moonshine in the 8th grade?!?!? YOU sir, are a badass".

• Members

Did you even bother reading this whole thread? Geez, STFU and read first then comment. I never said that the quality of my guitars equals the quality of $2000-3000+ guitar, I said the difference in quality between my guitars and $2000-3000+ guitars is not enough of a difference to justify the difference in price to ME. My Stadium I would put up against any standard SG coming off the Gibson production line. That doesn't mean that anyone would consider it to be of equal quality but it probably wouldn't lose by much either.

I've never compared Norlin Music era quality to the Juszkiewicz era myself, but your goldtop is from the Norlin era and would be considered to be of far less quality than 1986 and newer Gibsons by many.

• Members

I just have to mention that the first time I read your post I thought it said "..earning some money
DISTILLING
corn" and I thought to myself "You were making f-ing moonshine in the 8th grade?!?!? YOU sir, are a badass".

:)

Up north we detassle, down south you distill.:lol:

Actually I only did it for a week because the pollen swelled my eyes up so bad I looked like I'd gotten a good beating! I was actually from out west and I've still never adjusted to winters, humidity and pollen baths.

• Members

Did you even bother reading this whole thread? Geez, STFU and read first then comment. I never said that the quality of my guitars equals the quality of $2000-3000+ guitar, I said the difference in quality between my guitars and $2000-3000+ guitars is not enough of a difference to justify the difference in price to ME. My Stadium I would put up against any standard SG coming off the Gibson production line. That doesn't mean that anyone would consider it to be of equal quality but it probably wouldn't lose by much either.

I've never compared Norlin Music era quality to the Juszkiewicz era myself, but your goldtop is from the Norlin era and would be considered to be of far less quality than 1986 and newer Gibsons by many.

If you like your cheap guitars go at 'em. They'll never be a blimp on my radar screen.

As far as Gibsons go, older is almost always better or let's just say the thought of trading mine for an '86 model would never enter my radar screen either. Kalamazoo baby!

My name is carved into the back by the pots, not for sale or trade, mine for life!

I wish someone in my family would have left me anything as valuable as a couple of these my daughter will inherit when I'm gone.

• Members

It ain't the quality of the guitar, IMO, it's what you can do with it. I currently own 5 electric guitars and not one of them did I pay more than 400 dollars for. In fact I've only ever owned one guitar I paid $600 for, a '74 LP Custom I bought in '76.

My Black '71 MIA Strat: $325 in 1980.

Red Nichols Strat w/tele neck: $400

Nichols custom built prototype: It was a gift from the builder

Mid 80s MIJ Tele :$350

PRS Soapbar II Korean model $325

I play with a guy who has a 60s LP w/ soapbars, a two USA Strats, a nice Gretsch hollowbody, and a bunch of other nice guitars. I get just as many nice comments on my sound as he does.

I did my last CD with all these guitars as well as a 1999 MIM strat owned by a friend (300 bucks).

• Members

It ain't the quality of the guitar, IMO, it's what you can do with it. I currently own 5 electric guitars and not one of them did I pay more than 400 dollars for. In fact I've only ever owned one guitar I paid $600 for, a '74 LP Custom I bought in '76.

I play with a guy who has a 60s LP w/ soapbars, a two USA Strats, a nice Gretsch hollowbody, and a bunch of other nice guitars. I get just as many nice comments on my sound as he does.

I did my last CD with all these guitars as well as a 1999 MIM strat owned by a friend (300 bucks).

I owned a MIJ mid-80s strat which I sold as I'm just not into the strat sound but based on that guitar I'll assume that your MIJ Tele is an incredibly well built instrument on par with, or better than, it's American made counterparts.

• Members

I owned a MIJ mid-80s strat which I sold as I'm just not into the strat sound but based on that guitar I'll assume that your MIJ Tele is an incredibly well built instrument on par with, or better than, it's American made counterparts.

You would assume correctly! It's become my #1 and plays better and stays in tune better than any other guitar I own.

• Members

I was talking to some friends the other day, and one of them gave me the biggest compliment, which was, and I quote: "You know what the greatest thing about Josh's gear is? He only goes for the very best."

I stand behind that 100%. I've had guitars that cost $80, and I have a guitar which cost almost $4000 (and it's a strat, no less!). Let me tell you, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is better. When you're playing out regularly, recording, touring... You can't {censored} around with a peice of crap. You need the real thing, I'm afraid.

I guess the original poster would be horrified to know that after going through thirty-six guitars in my 11 years of playing, using Yamaha, Squier, Hamer, Epiphone, Burns, and Gretsch I have only seven guitars left, and all of them are Custom shop or USA Fenders and Gibsons
:cop:

Perhaps your friends are merely being polite. Like other respondents, I'd rather get a compliment on my playing than my gear. Even better is a "whole-band" compliment. But I digress.

I've been playing for 35 years and, other than a couple of bad axes from my teenage years, what's in my sig is all I've ever bought. Only the upright bass cost more than $400.

I haven't sold an instrument since the mid-'80s; I will probably ditch my Washburn bass even though guest bassisits at my house doen't always like the choice between the upright, fretless 4 and fretted 5.

If you need to pay used-car money for a guitar, so be it.

But I've played much more expensive instruments and found that they're not worth the premium to me. People seem to like how I sound, and that's nice; but the proof is when other players us my rig and compliment it.

• Members

I'm pretty sure you'll agree, just cause you got a deal on those axes or bought them a long time ago doesn't make them cheap. I bought a LP custom lefty in '78 that cost 700.00 then-it's probably close to 3k to get that guitar today. Same with my 1975 american strat-it was 400.00 in 1975. That year strat is probably 2k or better now. Even a MIJ tele is not considered a cheap ax to me. The lefty's I've seen are going for about 700. plus used.

I totaly agree that better guitars don't make the player, but do think they can make the player better.

• Members

I'm pretty sure you'll agree, just cause you got a deal on those axes or bought them a long time ago doesn't make them cheap. I bought a LP custom lefty in '78 that cost 700.00 then-it's probably close to 3k to get that guitar today. Same with my 1975 american strat-it was 400.00 in 1975. That year strat is probably 2k or better now. Even a MIJ tele is not considered a cheap ax to me. The lefty's I've seen are going for about 700. plus used.

I totaly agree that better guitars don't make the player, but do think they can make the player better.

Yep, that's an important point. I've only once paid over $1000 for a guitar (Rickenbacker 620) and that's because I just bought it new in early 2007. The rest of them were either bought many years ago, I got a great deal, or just didn't cost that much.

I just paid $1300 for a new keyboard which is really crazy because those never hold their value but if you want a nice one you just gotta go for it or go home. In fact I've spent a lot more lately on keyboard gear and software than I have on guitars for a while.

I once bought a Les Paul Custom for $200 and then traded it for a Twin Reverb amp. Back in the day before Japan drove the vintage market insane there was a lot more wheeling and dealing going on than there is now.

One other thing that's always been a source of pride for me is to see Made In The USA stamped on the {censored} I buy even though that becomes more difficult all the time.

• Members

One other thing that's always been a source of pride for me is to see Made In The USA stamped on the {censored} I buy even though that becomes more difficult all the time.

Except these days, it's hard to really tell what they mean by that and what portion of "USA made" is most important to people: the stuff being created here (but assembled elsewhere, as in the Made In Mexico Strats and Teles) or stuff that was created from all over, but assembled here.

My Peavey Classic 30 says Made In The USA on it, but it looks like the modern version, the ones that were built in China. So, I'm not sure if that phrase even means the same thing anymore...

• Members

$600 doesn't get in the high quality ballpark either.

You'll never get a guitar with quality wood, inlay work, neck and body binding for less than $1000, and that's a low figure.

Maybe a weak argument could be made for wood, but how exactly does inlay work and binding affect the way an instrument plays or sounds?

• Members

And I'm a little late to the party, but regarding this:

Maybe a weak argument could be made for wood, but how exactly does inlay work and binding affect the way an instrument plays or sounds?

It doesn't matter, guitars are just chunks of dead trees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, for you MIA honks, I played one of the new Charvel guitars today:

2825001309_rev1.jpg

$999.

It's a short-scale neck but it felt great. An overall nicely playable guitar. For me, the black hardware just doesn't work - I'd prefer chrome. To be honest, the guitar looks cheap to me because of the hardware. Also adding to the look of cheapness is that the neck and headstock are so satin that they look like there is no finish whatsoever - they appear "unfinished" from a workmanship standpoint.

What's even funnier is that if I had $999 laying around that I didn't care about, I'd probably buy the guitar anyway.

Archived