Does your band play the same songs twice in one night?

sickman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sorry if I came off with a bad attitude, but I felt defensive on some of the replies such as "not if you want to be asked back". We are working in two new members (out of a four piece group) and it was suggested by someone in the group. I would rather not do it and play things like the Joker, Crossroads, Tush, etc, etc if we have too.

For the record, within the last two months I played two gigs where we repeated one or two songs because the band was thrown together a few days before a gig and we were asked back.... except we weren't a real "band" so no one was interested in doing it again. Honestly, I was shocked the places wanted us back because there was a ton of jamming done.... 25-30 song setlist for 4 hour gig.

• Members

Well, you asked for input...it's not always going to be what you want to hear.

The bottom line is in a lot of situations, people don't care what your situation is. They are not going to cut you a break because you're a new band, you're working in new members, some of the material isn't quite ready, etc.

You are performing on stage for money, and you are going to be compared with the other bands in your area. Certainly, you can do a throw-together thing, jam out to lengthen songs, and even repeat songs to get through the night AND after all that, get asked back. It happened to you, it's happened to me, I'm willing to bet it's happened to a good chunk of the people on this board.

But you can't count on that. I'm in a part time cover band. Some of our competition do music full-time. We can't...we've all got responsibilities, etc. We can only do music on the side. So we make the best use of our time and focus on being tight and having plenty of good material ready to go.

It's not the end of the world if you repeat a song, but it should be something you avoid doing.

• Members

My policy on requests is:

1 Cover way outside our genre - deny, deny deny.

2 Cover in our genre - if we know it we'll do it, if we don't I suggest an alternative. "You like so&so? How about ..."

3. Original - play it immediately.

4. Repeat - If it's an original, see #3. If it's a cover from early in the night, no problem. Especially if the owner is making the request, as happened to us last weekend.

• Members

We tried repeating a song once. It was a very "live" room acoustically, and the echoes of the 1st rendition of the song collided with the non-reflected direct sound waves from the 2nd version. The resulting collision of sound waves (along with the spurious radiation being emitted from an unauthorized piece of Behringer gear) caused a shift in the local barometric pressure, inducing something that was very much like a temporal vortex, right there on the dance floor. 2 of the dancers, (one of which had requested the repeated song), were sucked into the vacuum and never heard from again. I suspect that we inadvertently opened some kind of doorway to another dimension, but we'll never know for sure.

So to sum it up, I'd suggest you DO NOT repeat songs...

• Members

For the record, within the last two months I played two gigs where we repeated one or two songs because the band was thrown together a few days before a gig and we were asked back.... except we weren't a real "band" so no one was interested in doing it again. Honestly, I was shocked the places wanted us back because there was a ton of jamming done.... 25-30 song setlist for 4 hour gig.

I was in a band that repeated some songs from the first set during the last set, because we ran short and weren't rehearsed well enough on some songs to play them, we also had about 45 total songs.

We were asked back.

However, Amid other problems which I discussed in great detail here, we ended up play ONLY that place over and over.. A {censored}hole bar for $30-$50 a night. I pushed hard as I could to get the band in better bars and to pick up more songs. I was thrown out. Today, I'm in a strong drama-free band and we have enough songs not only to play 4 sets, but to also play an encore set if needed, and we're still pulling in 3-4 songs a week.

My old band? Still playing in that {censored}hole bar.

• Members

Wow, that seems pretty extreme. Things are more laid-back
out here in the Great Plains. I've seen bands play the same song three times in one night
and were asked back, over and over again.

Wow.

We'll do it only under great duress, or occasionally by request.

As a paying patron, I'd be pissed.

• Members

My bet is that there is more to the story than just repeating a couple songs over the evening. I would guess that was just the excuse they used to knock them off the rotation.

Well, I said "ONE of the reasons the manager gave them...they repeated songs."

Some of the other reasons...They dropped the F-bomb way too often. Their music was too heavy and not danceable enough, and they took extended breaks.

• Members

Well, I said "ONE of the reasons the manager gave them...they repeated songs."

Some of the other reasons...They dropped the F-bomb way too often. Their music was too heavy and not danceable enough, and they took extended breaks.

So i guess we can assume they kinda sucked,,,,got stoned on break,,, and came back and sucked some more. Dropping the F bomb one time is really too much. Sounds like the club made the right decision to me.

• Members

Sometimes we do get the request too soon after we played the song, and we'll say "We'll open the next set with it". We're very sincere about it, but I don't ever remember actually doing it. Just slipped our minds somehow.

Although not OT, the topic of "Not playing a gig until you're ready" has come up. If you know the songs and arrangements but are not fully confident of them, I'd say get 'em onstage. No amount of practice can pull a tune together faster than getting it on stage. Of course, if that's half or more of your material, you might want to woodshed a little longer.

• Members

Sometimes we do get the request too soon after we played the song, and we'll say "We'll open the next set with it". We're very sincere about it, but I don't ever remember actually doing it. Just slipped our minds somehow.

Although not OT, the topic of "Not playing a gig until you're ready" has come up. If you know the songs and arrangements but are not fully confident of them, I'd say get 'em onstage. No amount of practice can pull a tune together faster than getting it on stage. Of course, if that's half or more of your material, you might want to woodshed a little longer.

Your second paragraph is more of what I was saying.... I would rather play something we sort of know than playing the same song twice.

Anyway, it looks like the bar double booked/someone stole the gig/bar owner saw this thread.... hahaah. We've now got 3 weeks before the next gig so we will be all set.

• Members

We tried repeating a song once. It was a very "live" room acoustically, and the echoes of the 1st rendition of the song collided with the non-reflected direct sound waves from the 2nd version. The resulting collision of sound waves (along with the spurious radiation being emitted from an unauthorized piece of Behringer gear) caused a shift in the local barometric pressure, inducing something that was very much like a temporal vortex, right there on the dance floor. 2 of the dancers, (one of which had requested the repeated song), were sucked into the vacuum and never heard from again. I suspect that we inadvertently opened some kind of doorway to another dimension, but we'll never know for sure.

Well, the requestor didn't get sucked into a vortex, but shortly afterwards she did get kicked out for visiting the men's room...just goes to show you the risks of repeating songs!

• Members

Wow.

We'll do it only under great duress, or occasionally by request.

As a paying patron, I'd be pissed.

Well, the quality of some of the bands out here isn't the best either, so I just attribute it to their overall presentation...which is basically amateur hour. Then again, people don't pay to come see these bands around here either. There is no cover charge or drink minimum. You can walk in off the street, sit for free in the bar as long as you want and leave without paying a dime. There aren't too many people that do that, though. Just saying it's possible to do so.

Our group tries to be a bit more professional on some levels, but on others, it will always be seen as amateurish too. For instance, our lead singer has a beat-up music stand with handwritten lyrics (OUT OF ORDER) that he flips through during key moments of songs like my guitar solos, essentially turning us into a three-piece when we need to sound the most like a four-piece.

Stuff like that really irritates the hell out of me, but it's out of my control. Not repeating songs, when I'm the one that sings that particular song, is definitely in my control. Doing that Doors song twice was a rare exception for me and certainly not the rule. I'd rather play more songs than usual in a night than less (and end up repeating one or two).

• Members

By the way...last night we played 'Roadhouse Blues' to end the 2nd set. We do 'Back Door Man' in the 3rd set. At the end of the night, a smoking hot chick came and begged us to play another Doors song. Well, we only do 2 of them...

...you guessed it, we played 'Roadhouse Blues' AGAIN...
:facepalm:

...all through the song, I was thinking, "Damn, I hope nobody from Backstage With the Band is here!"
:freak:

We DID make an announcement that we were repeating a song by special request...

Good to see I'm not the only one repeating that song in the same night. :D

• Members

For a while there, we did. It was always "Margaritaville." I can't stand that song and I hate it even more when it's always the one we start with. I'm guessing that the lead singer hates it too, which is why he wants to get it out of the way. My thinking on that is "why not learn a different song instead and just phase that one out?"

Thankfully, we have been starting off with different songs lately. It's been a real relief.

• Members

I don't mind starting with the same song, and it's not really a conscious thing. We just look at our last set list, and think "What do we want to change", and the opening song never really comes up in that category. It kind of lays out our "manifesto", or at least our M.O., and it's something our regulars request when we skip it, so it works for new listeners and "fans" alike.

• Members

I'd rather start out the night with something that will grab the audience's attention right away. At one gig, the band I had a few years ago started out with an intro similar to the intro of Metallica's "Hit The Lights" (before the song starts, the drums/cymbal pounding and guitars and bass pounding on one chord). Following that we played Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." It definitely set the mood for the night.

That won't work for this particular band I'm in now, though. :p

• Members

My feeling on first songs is that you want to pick one thats a no brainer for the band, that showcases what the band is going to be all about. In my way back in the day band it was mercy mercy mercy. Showcased the horns as well as our 3 part vocals and lead singer. We had material that was alot better than that song ,, but you want to save that stuff so people say ,, wow ,, these guys just keep rolling out the solid top 40 hits of the day.

Archived