Arrgh, Smoking Gig

Gary in NJ

• Members

This will seem like whining to some of you...

I don't think I've played a gig where there was smoking in the room for 15 or more years. I have avoided gigs in PA because of the smoke in the bars. It drives me nuts.

We recently began booking gigs in PA because our singer has a large following there, and because of their new anti-smoking laws.

We have our first (indoor) gig in PA tonight. Our singer informed us last night, "oh, BTW, there's smoking in this bar because of some loophole in the anti-smoking law".

Thanks a lot for the notice.

I don't look forward to:

1) loosing my voice 1/2 way through the gig (I sing half the tunes)

2) Smelling like smoke

3) Coughing for the next 2 days

• Members

This will seem like whining to some of you...

I don't think I've played a gig where there was smoking in the room for 15 or more years. I have avoided gigs in PA because of the smoke in the bars. It drives me nuts.

We recently began booking gigs in PA because our singer has a large following there, and because of their new anti-smoking laws.

We have our first (indoor) gig in PA tonight. Our singer informed us last night, "oh, BTW, there's smoking in this bar because of some loophole in the anti-smoking law".

Thanks a lot for the notice.

I don't look forward to:

1) loosing my voice 1/2 way through the gig (I sing half the tunes)

2) Smelling like smoke

3) Coughing for the next 2 days

The No-Smoking laws kick-in starting January 2009 here in Utah . Although I don't lose my voice because of the smoke (and I sing 95% of the tunes), I'm looking forward to not keeping a jacket in the garage that is used exclusively for gigs. I also notice that I feel tired and wiped-out the morning after a gig in a smoky club. Does this happen to anyone else?

• Moderators

I for one don't miss the smoke filled venues in Washington state. I used to get cold like symptoms the next day after doing a gig in a smoke filled room. And as a bonus all of my gear doesn't end up smelling like stale smoke anymore.

Max

Ugh. I used to hate it so much too.

Whenever we play in Oregon at smoking venues I'm just like "wow, I can't believe I dealt with this all the time." Although I believe Oregon's ban is about to go into effect.

• Members

What's the loophole. I do smoking cessation research for NYS? NJ went smokefree in 2006 I think.

In PA, if 80% of the revenue is from alcohol sales (this place is a bar & grill) then smoking is permitted.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. They had several of those "smoke eater" machines throughout the place. I didn't really notice how I smelled until I went outside to leave. The crisp 30 degree air tasted so good. It was then I realized how much I reaked of smoke.

I'm gonna have to get use to it though. We killed. The regulars there were telling the owner halfway through the night to book us again. The manager even gave us a $50 tip. Success has its price, and I'm a whore.

• Members

There was a place we used to play... You could drop in for 10 minutes and people would say "Oh! Been to The Tavern?" just from your smell. Rank. When it changed hands and the new owner was renovating he found out the ventilation system had no exhaust. Every time you walked in you got the full dose of 35 years of recirculated stale beer, cigarette smoke and rubber machine. Had some crazy good times there, but man did it stink.

• Members

I'm a smoker but I can really sympathize w/ all of you as I was in the hospital trecently for 3 days and when I was getting dressed to go home I opoened the locker door that held my clothes and it smelled like a bar in there! It really surprised me for as a smoker my sense of smell is almost non-existent.

Archived