One Way To Get An Audience To Take Your Band Seriously...

wheresgrant3

• Members

... is to pretend that you don't take yourselves very seriously.

s42593ca108582_1-2.jpg

s42593ca108582_34-2.jpg

s42593ca108582_8-2.jpg

The truth is... any band that spends $150 at Sears Portrait studio, and two hours of time (in addition to a full calendar of practice and gigs), to dress up in the worst Holiday garb, for pictures to promote on their website and on Xmas cards mailed to every club on their calendar... takes their business pretty seriously. ;)

• Members

You really hit the nail on the head and I couldn't agree with you more. The whole self-depricating, care-free attitude on stage is by far, the only way for a cover band to go. And let wheresgrant's band's success serve as proof of this. They are absolutely an A-list band playing A-list rooms.

To me, and no offense to anyone, but a party/cover band being all wrapped up in themselves and arrogant doesn't win you points with anyone and you end up just looking like a bunch of douches. I mean come on, how can anyone play "Pour Some Sugar On Me" seriously any more anyway?

Most of our "show" comprises of various forms of making fun of each other and ourselves.

• Members

You really hit the nail on the head and I couldn't agree with you more. The whole self-depricating, care-free attitude on stage is by far, the only way for a cover band to go. And let wheresgrant's band's success serve as proof of this. They are absolutely an A-list band playing A-list rooms.

To me, and no offense to anyone, but a party/cover band being all wrapped up in themselves and arrogant doesn't win you points with anyone and you end up just looking like a bunch of douches. I mean come on, how can anyone play "Pour Some Sugar On Me" seriously any more anyway?

Most of our "show" comprises of various forms of making fun of each other and ourselves.

You guys (Vivid)... Fastplant... and I'll even throw in BMoney's band ... they all deliver. And you look at all you pictures, videos and the venues you play and you know you take the business-end seriously... even though onstage you act like you don't have a care at all.

People come out to see us to forget their workweek..., their $bills... their pending divorce. No room for serious displays in that laundry list.

• Members

{censored} yeah. the band leader of our new band is on board with that one.

he's got a tonne of great fun ideas. if you look like you're having fun, they'll have fun.

even when i'm playing the most run of the mill dirge i always try to smile, laugh, pose, get a bit of a boogie on because if you stand there looking like you don't want to be there or you're too good for the place it's VERY obvious.

spending money on a proper website, proper photos, a proper demo etc... really sets you aside from the weekend warriors too.

• Members

...here's a band (based in Sedona, AZ) that I played guitar in for a couple years:

www.myspace.com/yinyangshows

Overall concept of this band is pretty easy:

For each show, come up with a theme - dress accordingly and encourage the audience to do so as well (past themes inculded nerd night, sci-fi night, masquarde ball, etc). Select a handful of songs that are in harmony with said theme. Construct cool sets on stage from cardboard and spray paint.

These guys are doing very well in their area, and have a strong fanbase. People just love the themed shows, the music, and the energy of the band. Again, we would take our practices and music very seriously so that when it was time for the show, we could just relax and have fun.

• Members

...here's a band (based in Sedona, AZ) that I played guitar in for a couple years:

www.myspace.com/yinyangshows

Overall concept of this band is pretty easy:

For each show, come up with a theme - dress accordingly and encourage the audience to do so as well (past themes inculded nerd night, sci-fi night, masquarde ball, etc). Select a handful of songs that are in harmony with said theme. Construct cool sets on stage from cardboard and spray paint.

These guys are doing very well in their area, and have a strong fanbase. People just love the themed shows, the music, and the energy of the band. Again, we would take our practices and music very seriously so that when it was time for the show, we could just relax and have fun.

That's actually a really cool idea! How often do they play?

• Members

You guys (Vivid)... Fastplant... and I'll even throw in BMoney's band ... they all deliver. And you look at all you pictures, videos and the venues you play and you know you take the business-end seriously... even though onstage you act like you don't have a care at all.

People come out to see us to forget their workweek..., their $bills... their pending divorce. No room for serious displays in that laundry list.

Thanks man. It's funny, because we go the "taking ourselves so seriously that it's obviously a joke" route. Our bio is so over the top that no one could possibly think we're really that arrogant. Hamer Time makes the perfect point, who can play any of these songs seriously anymore.

I've always said, if you're in it to be taken seriously than you need to reconsider being in a party band. You should go the route of the artistic, B Side type cover band, or be an original band. We're here to have fun and play some tunes. That's it.

That said, AWESOME pics. I love the idea!

Archived