What kind of things NOT to say in-between songs

Kramerguy

• Members

Once a bandmate was drunk at a gig (biker bar), and the singer was doing the spiel between songs about bartenders working hard, please tip them, etc... and the drunk bandmate yelled into his mic "YEAH! TIP THE BARTENDERS YOU CHEAP BASTARDS !!"

:eek:

*crickets*

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

years ago my band opened for a wanna-be hair metal band. These guys were so full of themselves it was pathetic, strutting around with teased up hair and wearing spandex, bandanas, the whole nine yards. Huge PA, Marshall stacks, etc....

The gig was at a rural bar/bowling alley in Upstate New York.

So we do our set of covers and then the headliners take the stage, doing thier set of "original" songs that hit every bad 80's metal cliche' in the book.

Of course, the locals don't exactly give them a warm welcome, which doesn't sit well with the singer who obviously expects everyone to just absolutely worship them from note one. In fact, thier set is going so badly that he begins to antagonize the burly country boys swilling buds at the bar.

After one song was met with a deafening silence, he yells into the mic "Come on you stupid rednecks!"

All of a sudden the mood in the room shifts from mild indifference to outright hostility. We packed up our gear and beat a hasty retreat, I don't think the angry mob made any distinction between the long haired assholes on stage and the long haired good guys from the opening band :-)

• Moderators

After having a run in with a total bitch of a waitress during break, our guitarist starts the next set off by saying, "This one's for our lovely waitress Dianna. Let's hear it for Dianna. Then he breaks into the Stones' Stupid Girl. We didn't work that room again.

• Members

not an in between songs story but a during the song story:

for the 1st two years or so of my current band we had a male & a female lead vocalist. we were playing a benefit gig for a very sick little girl- A gig with a lot of media exposure that for some reason our female vocalist did NOT want to play. It was an all ages thing with 5 bands and it was jammed packed with people. there were alot of young kids and older folks there, not just your regular bar crowd.

she started singing the beginning of Alanis Morrisette- You oughta know and our guitar player started following her. It was not on the setlist but they started playing it anyway. the rest of the band figured what the hell might as well do it now... it would sound stupid if we stopped.

Well, when it came to the end of the 2nd verse she screamed the lyrics:

"Are you thinking of me when you f*ck her!"

yeah, that was appropriate.

• Members

My rule is: don't ever ask questions that could have a negative answer. I get on my guitarist all the time because he will ask things like "Do you guys like this song?" :facepalm:

Every now and then someone will yell "No!" You don't want that. I only ask things that can have a positive answer like "who came out tonight to party?" or "who's drinking?" Always gets a great reaction.

• Members

My rule is: don't ever ask questions that could have a negative answer. I get on my guitarist all the time because he will ask things like "Do you guys like this song?"
:facepalm:

Every now and then someone will yell "No!" You don't want that. I only ask things that can have a positive answer like "who came out tonight to party?" or "who's drinking?" Always gets a great reaction.

That is a great tip...only ask questions that you know what the answer will be before hand. :)

• Members

not an in between songs story but a during the song story:

for the 1st two years or so of my current band we had a male & a female lead vocalist. we were playing a benefit gig for a very sick little girl- A gig with a lot of media exposure that for some reason our female vocalist did NOT want to play. It was an all ages thing with 5 bands and it was jammed packed with people. there were alot of young kids and older folks there, not just your regular bar crowd.

she started singing the beginning of Alanis Morrisette- You oughta know and our guitar player started following her. It was not on the setlist but they started playing it anyway. the rest of the band figured what the hell might as well do it now... it would sound stupid if we stopped.

Well, when it came to the end of the 2nd verse she screamed the lyrics:

"Are you thinking of me when you f*ck her!"

yeah, that was appropriate.

Mmmm. That must have been really embarrassing.

My old cover band played a bbq with kids and older people and such. We did Rape me which I didn't want to do and that was kind of awkward.

• Members

years ago my band opened for a wanna-be hair metal band. These guys were so full of themselves it was pathetic, strutting around with teased up hair and wearing spandex, bandanas, the whole nine yards. Huge PA, Marshall stacks, etc....

The gig was at a
rural bar/bowling alley in Upstate New York

So we do our set of covers and then the headliners take the stage, doing thier set of "original" songs that hit every bad 80's metal cliche' in the book.

Of course, the locals don't exactly give them a warm welcome, which doesn't sit well with the singer who obviously expects everyone to just absolutely worship them from note one. In fact, thier set is going so badly that he begins to antagonize the burly country boys swilling buds at the bar.

After one song was met with a deafening silence, he yells into the mic "Come on you stupid rednecks!"

All of a sudden the mood in the room shifts from mild indifference to outright hostility. We packed up our gear and beat a hasty retreat, I don't think the angry mob made any distinction between the long haired assholes on stage and the long haired good guys from the opening band :-)

LOL!

:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

No one in the band should ever get into a conversation with one person in the crowd....even if it is only for a few seconds....I imagine that the rest of the crowd was bored, as I was so bored I wanted to stick pins in my ears.......total room-sized buzzkill.

Agreed, you probably saw some of that too at Red Door I imagine, haha.

• Members

As a front man in my band (original) we ususally play 35 to 40 minutes. And I don't really say much to the crowd cause I don't want to take up time. I wrote this song called Autumn Girl which was about my wife, I used to introduce the song by saying "this next song is about me bird (british equivalent to girl) or sometimes about my baby." my bandmates told me to knock it off about being married and all so I quit saying it.

I agree about not insulting anyone in the crowd or waitresses. Sometimes it's tough to make conversation when the crowd is not interested enough or giving the band a hard time.

• Members

One time my band (mostly originals) opened for a bigger band in town (half covers, half originals) in a bar in Tucson AZ called the Lucky Dollar. The crowed looked pretty good and there was this whole group of women there for a bachelorette party, with a bunch of naughty stuff like a chocolate dildo and all that. So we get up there and do our opening song. Right after we play that one, and right before our second song, our lead singer looks right at the crowd of women and says over the PA: "you babes over there - which one of you is going home with me tonight?" Crickets. You should have seen the looks on their faces.

• Members

Have any of you ever seen Decline of Civilization Part 1? Fear doesn't really subscribe to most of these ideas. They start off there set in that documentary by inciting the crowd to the point that people jump on the stage and try to attack them.

• Members

Mmmm. That must have been really embarrassing.

My old cover band played a bbq with kids and older people and such. We did Rape me which I didn't want to do and that was kind of awkward.

it really felt like a big middle finger to us, personally. She was very vocal about not doing benefit shows for anyone, unless she was to be paid. she didn't care where the cash came from. Just that she was paid for her time.

We do a few of these shows a year, offering about 1 hour of our time to various cancer benefits. Our male vocalist (our lead vocalist now) is a cancer survior so its a bit personal for us... at the time of this gig for the little girl our male vocalist was going through Chemo 2X per month. But he was all for doing the gig.

Not to mention benefit shows are great exposure for us. We get TV coverage, radio coverage, newspaper coverage... you can't beat it.

• Members

Just though of another one... again with our female vocalist.

it was a thin night at one of the bars we were playing. Not many people at all.

she said something like, "eh, who cares. This is barely like a show at all. its like a practice."

• Members

Just though of another one... again with our female vocalist.

it was a thin night at one of the bars we were playing. Not many people at all.

she said something like, "eh, who cares. This is barely like a show at all. its like a practice."

:eek:

I played with a guy who used to say, after a weak crowd response, "Hey, thanks for that smattering of indifference!" Another guy used to say something like "I'm sorry. Did someone die and not tell us?" or "Are we boring you?"

But the worst was a "front man" we had back in the 70s who started lecturing a crowd who wasn't responding to us (we were totally not right for the club) about how mean, rude and stuck up they were and how it's such hard work to be in a band, trying to entertain people who are too snobby and tight assed to bother to respond etc etc.

They responded all right. They booed and threw things, and we got fired.

Archived