How about "Songs you thought about covering, but aren't sure"?

Kramerguy

• Members

Lets Go Crazy by prince goes over very well with our crowd... Just don't tell Prince we are covering one of his songs... He'll get pissed!

*about a year ago he ordered us to remove a live cover of Lets Go Crazy from youtube.
:thu:

a friend of mine worked (briefly) for Prince. He said Prince is the biggest douchebag of all time. Here's a few rules you must follow when working for Prince:

1. don't look him in the eye.

2. don't speak directly to him

3. absolutely no consumption of caffinated drinks ( i {censored} you not)

4. no foul language when Prince is on premise

5. no smoking anywhere in the venue

4. you must always wear the official 'Prince Production Staff' shirt. (that's reasonable)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In addition to the other threads about song choices -

I thought maybe we could list some songs we want to try, but don't know if they will go over well or not... then maybe someone who's done them live could let us know?

I'll start:

I thought the 311 version of "Love Song" (by the cure originally) sounds really cool and might be a good slow song addition. Anyone ever try it?

Yes. And it's a drag - we played it ONCE and dropped it.

• Members

a friend of mine worked (briefly) for Prince. He said Prince is the biggest douchebag of all time. Here's a few rules you must follow when working for Prince:

4. you must always wear the official 'Prince Production Staff' shirt. (that's reasonable)

Kids, this is why you shouldn't spend too much time admiring yourself in mirrors.

:facepalm:

What a piece of work.

• Members

He played a private party and in the contract it said "Staff members of the venue are NOT allowed to make eye contact with Prince. Really"

He is a musical genius but he, how we say in Texas, "aint right".

• Members

sorry for derailing the thread a bit so let me get it back on track

we are putting some classic rock tunes into our set to be even more diverse (when we need to be)

what about (maybe just parts of)

deep purple- hush

Zeppelin- misty mountain hop

Aerosmith- sweet emotion

Kiss- strutter

Kansas-Wayward Son

anything else that will get 'em on the floor?

• Members

Kansas-Wayward Son

Kudo's to you guys if you can pull this one off.

Vocals are a beyotch... not to mention the musicianship all around is fairly high.

There is a local cover band here in town that have been around forever. They are the best band in town and they used to do a lot more difficult music (Rush, Kansas, Boston, etc), but these days they are doing the same songs as everyone else (just ten times better).

Anyway, check it out. From 10 or so years ago:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Love those guys.

CTR- you should go see them now they are not doing the same old same old. Only band I've ever seen covering Slide It In. They are much more rock oriented than they have been in the past. These guys are playing 200 shows a year.

Songs I've wanted to try:

Let's Go Crazy

Love Ain't Know Stranger

Crying In the Rain (think this would be a turd)

Lump (this one we are doing after my recovery)

Photograph (Def Leppard not nickelcrack) or anything from Hysteria

• Members

Misty Mountain Hop and Sweet Emotion I did in my band in high school. Sweet emotion went over real well. Misty Mountain Hop was more like Misty Mountain Flop. My current band does a pretty good job (I think) with Carry on My Wayward Son. Goes over well at gigs. One of the bigger challenges was getting the vocals right with all the harmony parts. Other than that it is really just some tricky timing stuff to work out. It took us a long time to get it sounding good enough to gig but we got it there. It is what we call a "project piece". We wanted to work it up for a fun challenge and didn't really care if we ever gigged it, though we have done it several times now live and it went over well. Unless your band is really talented, plan on several practices to get it down, IF everone does their homework.

• Members

The two groups I'm in are a duo (2 guitar/2voc) & a trio (2 guitar/3voc), so we do a fair amount of experimenting trying to find out what we can get away with without bass & drums, etc.

A few times, we've said "that'll never work" but later found our own way to do it.

I've Seen All Good People, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, Any Major Dude, etc.

Right now, I'm working on a duo version of the Tubes' Talk to Ya Later. :idk:

• Members

has anyone done that newer kid rock song "all summer long", the one where he kinda stole the sweet home alabama riff?

I personally think it will be the biggest bomb dropped since 1945, but one member really really wants to do it badly...

I also recall it being on the radio when it released, for all of about two days, then never again.. haven't heard it since.

• Members

last year when All summer long came out we stuck it with Sweet Home & Werewolves of London. PEOPLE WENT NUTS FOR IT!

It still goes over well but people arn't screaming over the music for it anymore.

Now it's part of our big(ish) 2nd set medley.

right now it goes like this:

All Summer Long

Sweet Home

Werewolves

All summer long (chorus)

Magic Carpet Ride

American Girl

Blister In The Sun

Let's Go Crazy

A great way to give the crowd about 20 minutes of non-stop dancable music.

• Members

I know many of you have added "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock to your setlist. Are most of you doing it "as is", or are you adding Sweet Home Alabama or Werewolf of London to the tune? We are thinking of adding it, but I'd like to know what others have experienced with this one.

• Members

I'm frankly against adding it to the setlist, mostly because I really hate the original, and hate the kid rock version even more, but also, judging on how fast it flopped on the radio, I'd figured it just didn't sit well with the mass audiences (in this area).

• Members

I'm frankly against adding it to the setlist, mostly because I really hate the original, and hate the kid rock version even more, but also, judging on how fast it flopped on the radio, I'd figured it just didn't sit well with the mass audiences (in this area).

Been putting it in SHA for over a year and everyone still sings along to it. SHA always packs the dance floor if you don't totally butcher it. Ours goes like this

Sweet Home Ala

What I got (2 verses + chorus)

All Summer Long (3 verses + choruses)

Play That Funky Music (chorus)

All Summer Long (chorus)

Sometimes adding Werewolves

• Members

has anyone done that newer kid rock song "all summer long", the one where he kinda stole the sweet home alabama riff?

I personally think it will be the biggest bomb dropped since 1945, but one member really really wants to do it badly...

I also recall it being on the radio when it released, for all of about two days, then never again.. haven't heard it since.

2 days? You must live in a different part of the country.

• Members

The Scranton Market here in PA. played that song to death since last year. I still hear it often, but not 5X a day.

Like I said people still dance to it, it has never flopped but people don't scream for it anymore.

But they still scream for Bodies Hit The Floor...

• Members

He did not steal the riff.

The song is an homage to SHA, WWL and Take The Money and Run and he pays royalties as such.

This was Kid Rock's first number one hit, in both pop and country. The song was huuuuuge.

Archived