"I'm not a musician! I'm in it for the money!"

New Trail

• Members

Chances are good if he's only a lead singer he isn't a musician in the sense of playing and understanding rudimentary music principles as relates to an instrument and interrelating with other instruments. Most lead singers I have had can't even find their starting note without some help.

I would say I perform for money. I can play for myself all day long but to leave the house to do it I want to get paid or I'd just as soon stay home and play.

• Members

i just want to puch guys like that in the face! what if everybody did that? im not really a pilot, i just do it for the money. im not really a cop, im not really a doctor, im not really a __________... what happens is they dont really care about the results of their actions, or inaction. the "singer" wont care either way if the songs go well or not, as long as he gets paid. he will only perform good enough to make his money and nothing more. if he was in my band and i heard that id start looking for a new singer.

• Members

I can relate to that to some degree.

I like "Old School" Metal (as the young guys call it these days), but nobody else seems to want to hear it, so I'm forced to play music I don't care about (Nickelback, Godsmack, etc.) if I want to play out, so I'm playing strictly for the money. This is basically like working at 7-11 or Taco Bell for me. It's just a part time job, but it's one that I can at least enjoy a little, even if I don't care for the songs I'm playing.

• Members

I can relate to that to some degree.

I like "Old School" Metal (as the young guys call it these days), but nobody else seems to want to hear it, so I'm forced to play music I don't care about (Nickelback, Godsmack, etc.) if I want to play out, so I'm playing strictly for the money. This is basically like working at 7-11 or Taco Bell for me. It's just a part time job, but it's one that I can at least enjoy a little, even if I don't care for the songs I'm playing.

I can relate to that in another degree. I also have an "Old School" Rock/Metal background and play in a 90's cover band... and 90's grunge killed my beloved 80's rock/metal! However, the band I play with is fun and people like what we play and have fun at our shows. Not only that, I am beginning to enjoy and appreciate a lot of the songs I hated in the 90's now that I have had to learn them.

• Members

i just want to puch guys like that in the face! what if everybody did that? im not really a pilot, i just do it for the money. im not really a cop, im not really a doctor, im not really a __________... what happens is they dont really care about the results of their actions, or inaction. the "singer" wont care either way if the songs go well or not, as long as he gets paid. he will only perform good enough to make his money and nothing more. if he was in my band and i heard that id start looking for a new singer.

Well, since his level of performance or quality of work isn't a matter of life and death to other people, as it is in the three examples you cited, there's no comparison at all.

• Members

Yeah, nothing wrong with what he said. I know what my reasons are for music; and it's really none of my business why other people do it. Actually, come to think of it, I wish there were more guys willing to admit that, then I would go play with them and make more dough. :cop:

• Members

It's just the opposite.

Since he's in it for the money, he's motivated to do a good job SO HE MAKES MORE MONEY!

I would love having someone like this in my band.

• Members

Isn't every cover band just in it for the money?

You would think so, wouldn't you, but it hasn't always been my experience. To some guys (and girls) in cover bands there are COOL covers and LAME covers, and you are a cool band if you do the cool covers even if they only appeal to a limited group of people and you have no crowd and end up with no gigs cause nobody comes to see you. At least a person who says upfront that they're in it for the money should willingly cater to the crowd with no aspirations that they're into it for their "art"!

• Members

Well, he didn't say he was ONLY in it for the money...I know that's splitting semantic hairs.

I place a value on my time. If something is artistically satisfying or just really fun, that's value as much as money is value (though it won't pay for violin lessons for your kid).

These days, it has to be REALLY fun for me to devote as much time to it as my well-paid cover band.

I'm an artist for myself. I'm a performer for other people. I don't see why there seems to be an issue with that with some people.

Why the HELL would you even get up in front of people if you didn't hope for some sort of validation or appreication for what you do?

Just saying...

Brian V.

• Members

Why the HELL would you even get up in front of people if you didn't hope for some sort of validation or appreication for what you do?

Just saying...

Brian V.

Of course it does. I'm sure even the most calloused long time performer doesn't JUST do it for the $. Conversely, I imagine that even the most pure 'artistes' want their audiences to like them, which leads to more gigs, more money.

• Members

It's just the opposite.

Since he's in it for the money, he's motivated to do a good job SO HE MAKES MORE MONEY!

I would love having someone like this in my band.

Good point. Even though it has it's good moments, I know I mainly do my job for the money. I am stuck in it because I am unwilling to make the tradeoff of pay cut vs. trying something I may like better (that and I've been doing it for 15 years and I wouldn't be as proficient at anything else).

Along with the point in the parentheses, I am damn good at what I do. To the point of which many former colleagues send me work because they respect my abilities. While my job may sometimes be boring, it is EXTREMELY important to me to make sure my clients get the best quality work I can offer them. I guess that could be based on the fact that if I give them the best they can get, they will give me more work, which earns me more money.

Then again, the money aside, it would still be important for me to give my clients the best I can. I guess that means I am doing it for more than the money. :rolleyes:

[/end meaningless self-reflection] :blah:

• Members

Of course it does. I'm sure even the most calloused long time performer doesn't JUST do it for the $. Conversely, I imagine that even the most pure 'artistes' want their audiences to like them, which leads to more gigs, more money.

+1

• Members

You would think so, wouldn't you, but it hasn't always been my experience. To some guys (and girls) in cover bands there are COOL covers and LAME covers, and you are a cool band if you do the cool covers even if they only appeal to a limited group of people and you have no crowd and end up with no gigs cause nobody comes to see you. At least a person who says upfront that they're in it for the money should willingly cater to the crowd with no aspirations that they're into it for their "art"!

I never understood that. Even though we do play a couple of "cool" covers, I also know that I'm gonna have to sing "Brown Eyed Girl" at every show. :facepalm: But the people dance and sing along, so I don't really mind... I know I'm a whore.

I firmly believe that the only time that the words "cover" and "art" should be used together is in reference to CD packaging. :D

Archived