Band member caught stealing

kurfu

• Members

Wades, that was a great trap, I wish I could remain cool enough to let a trap like that work.

Usually I can't remain cool.

I'd like to think that my old man was watching over me that day - he used to be a DEA agent and was by all accounts a master of deception.

It felt really good to have it go down that way: I'm sure the old man was looking down and giving me a thumbs up.

• Members

It felt really good to have it go down that way: I'm sure the old man was looking down and giving me a thumbs up.

:thu:

To the O.P.: you totally lucked out that he admitted it. Who knows how much he "skimmed" through the years? He was overdue to get kicked out! And regarding your friends who are defending him... maybe it's time to cut the cord with them too.

• Members
Yes, it should be an internal band problem. But we have mutual friends...

Anyways... we are moving on, keeping the gigs, keeping the band name, etc... and have several leads on some really talented people that want the position.

:thu:

Good for you. I totally agree with wades, cut him loose, move on and don't engage in any bad mouthing games back and forth. The idiot just killed an income (and I'm sure pleasure) source. Let him stew in it and take the higher ground.

• Members

So... "condoning"? As if not saying anything is somehow playing part in their misdeed. Sorry, I couldn't disagree more.

Unless that person is someone you can help, don't drag yourself down. Unless that person shows themselves to be a true friend, let them go. Understand them and cut them loose.

You think that's condoning their actions?

It's not a matter of helping the thief. By silently letting him go, one is aiding and abetting his next theft. Reporting his theft may get him arrested and charged, maybe even convicted. Warning local musicians may give someone else a chance to steer clear before they get ripped off. Staying quiet virtually guarantees there will be another victim in the next few weeks.

• Members

We had a band roadie who was handling getting tips from customers into the tip jar skimming. He wasn't yet fired for that (though he should have been) then the dumbass left one of our speakers behind in the parking lot. He then was fired.

• Members

This has got to be one of the saddest stories I have ever heard. The average gigging musician doesn't make that much from tips, and to think about raiding that jar... how pathetic. Thieves/addicts/etc. can always justify their actions. Stick to the high road - he showed his colors, and there's nothing you can do but write it off as a story of the lowest of human nature. Just thank your lucky stars you caught him out when it was relatively meaningless, instead of down the road, when it could have cost you much more.

• Members

Bad situation. If it's too OT, you don't need to go into it, but I was wondering how this guy could possibly justify his actions and who would buy his line?

I have heard that he is claiming that we told him that we did not want the money from the tip jar, so he took half for himself and gave the other half to our harmonica player. He is also saying that I "hurt his feelings" when I called him a thief. Basically, he is trying to twist the story around to make me look like bad guy.

He is lying.

• Members

Amazing. Simply amazing. Don't worry about it. The people he talks to already know, or will soon find out what kind of person he is. Stealing from the tip jar is like stealng from the collection plate at church. Unforgivable and indefensable. We have split tips and even pay, to reimburse drivers, the PA, hiring a sub. Even for giving an extra share to a band member who is having probs meeting the bills. These are discussed communal agreements. They do not endorse or encourage anyone determining unilaterally that they have the right to steal from those that appear to be more affluent, or to dip into communal funds before they are accounted for and distributed fairly.
I know some would not agree with me. But I have gone thru a period of being taken advantage of and robbed. I have to commend you for not dragging his thieving ass into the alley and beating it bloody. A thief gets no mercy, no second chances.

• Members

Funny, the outside summer party band I had a few years ago was pretty busy.
Played a couple of cold nights, etc. But we had some great ones too that we were able to book other shows from. Not knowing myself that this was happening, the singer at the time, drugged out guy, made arrangements for the next show. Bottom line was we all wanted $250 each + the PA system paid for. So the guy was a bit miffed when we pulled in with this small PA system about 1/2 the size.
He asked, I paid for the same system you guys had at the last show, I was told it was a $1500 to rent. We said yep it was but our singer said you only gave us $500. Bull F'in sh$t he says , he had coughed up $1500 up front.
Then the lame "wahh I had to pay my rent" drama unfolded. Spoiled the vibe for sure, I think the drummer nailed his girlfriend that night who was a cutie and a fight broke out later after that. I love that story, cause that singer now works for me at an unrelated job now and I just can't really see past that even now after almost 20 years now.
:facepalm:
Later
Brian

• Members

The idea of a guy stealing the freakin tips. wow. I'd never get on stage with that guy again.

I don't plan to.

I supported the guy by going to his open mics regularly for the past six years, played in a working (3-4 gigs a month) band with him for the past four years, and was working on his engineering his solo CD - for free... and he had the nerve to steal from the tip jar... and now after betraying my trust and friendship, he refuses to be a man and apologize....

Yep... I won't be around him again anytime soon.

• Members

I have heard that he is claiming that we told him that we did not want the money from the tip jar, so he took half for himself and gave the other half to our harmonica player. He is also saying that I "hurt his feelings" when I called him a thief. Basically, he is trying to twist the story around to make me look like bad guy.

He is lying.

"Did not want the money from the tip jar":facepalm:

I hope that one's going over well.

Archived