O/T - Blast from the past

Kramerguy

• Members

Ugh. Poor man. Is it my imagination, or is DLR trying to sing off-key on purpose to match the guitar issues?

Actually, neither (well, Dave's never been known for pitch accuracy). The (pre-recorded) keyboard part was either:

a) sampled at 44K and played back at 48K

or

b) sampled at 48K and played back at 44K

I can't remember which and don't feel like doing the research.

• Members

One thing about the 80's and MTV that I hated was that every pop/punk/rock/metal band of any consequence just HAD to have a video and a lot of times it seemed to me that the "directors" were using the band as a stepping stone for themselves and made videos of their own vision that was not always in the best interest of the band and/or song. And of course there was the mindset of "just get a video on MTV who cares what it looks like or is about, just get one!" mentality.

Here's my vote for epic fail, an embarrassingly silly POS that reminds one of the abortion known as the Star Wars Christmas Special:

cgBE_4-rZ6Y

compared to a silly but "entertaining because they don't take themselves seriously" video:

YmIFsNdRSoU

• Members

Actually, neither (well, Dave's never been known for pitch accuracy). The (pre-recorded) keyboard part was either:

a) sampled at 44K and played back at 48K

or

b) sampled at 48K and played back at 44K

I can't remember which and don't feel like doing the research.

Oh, come on, please enlighten us. This is a weird one. I have never seen them in concert, but this seems extremely off, and DLR really does seem like he's trying to make a correction on the fly. Around 2:30?

• Members

One thing about the 80's and MTV that I hated was that every pop/punk/rock/metal band of any consequence just HAD to have a video and a lot of times it seemed to me that the "directors" were using the band as a stepping stone for themselves and made videos of their own vision that was not always in the best interest of the band and/or song. And of course there was the mindset of "just get a video on MTV who cares what it looks like or is about, just get one!" mentality.

They're still doing this. Music vids can now be a stepping stone to a film career... for better or for worse.

• Members

My issue with "I wanna rock" was nothing more than the director tried to repeat the same script as the "we're not gonna take it" video, basically riding the coat-tails of it's success. You can't copy a masterpiece and expect it to be better.... epic fail for that reason. And it's a shame, it was a damn good tune that had the potential to be a hit, and was dragged down by the video fail.

• Members

LOL! Thank you for reason #1002 for being atheist!

I'm not religious myself, but some of the greatest music of all time has been rooted in religious worship. Hell, if it wasn't for spiritual music there wouldn't be blues or rock and roll.

That being said, these guys obviously didn't get the memo. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm not religious myself, but some of the greatest music of all time has been rooted in religious worship. Hell, if it wasn't for spiritual music there wouldn't be blues or rock and roll.

That being said, these guys obviously didn't get the memo.
:facepalm:

Slavery drove the blues..........not religion

Archived