Re-makes of old cover tunes?

twostone

• Members

I just tossed this out to our band's line up and was just trying to figure out if we did a re-make on a old tune like Buffalo Springfield's For What is Worth. Beef it up instead pretty acoustic guitar rhythm add some heavy crunch rhythm maybe a distorted bass line and rock it out. Another song I thought might be cool maybe with a dropped tuning was One by 3 dog nights. Anyway, throw me some bones let me know what you think would be a cool re-make of an old antique tune that you could rock out. Thanx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Two great choices. Another I've always wanted to re-do is 25 or 6 to 4. The Chicago song with the decending riff. 2nd guitar would take the horn part. Just rock it... it would kill.

And try I'll Be Around by the Spinners. You can do this 3 piece even. There's a conga part that can be incorporated into the drum beat on the toms. With just bass and guitar you've got the main parts covered. 2nd guitat takes the string parts. Packs the floor.

• Members

Hell yea Chicago I love that tune thanks. :thu: can't speak for the rest of the fellers but definitely would be a contender. Not sure about the Spinner's tune I heard of them but only the band name I'll have to check out the actual song can't say if I heard it or not.

• Members

We recendly add an "I'll Take You There" (Pointer Sisters) - and doing it with a male lead vocal. Nice groove with an "open" feel and lots of room for gospel..ish harmonies throughout the tune. It's high up on my list of current faves to play.

Another recent add for us was Aretha Franklin's "Rock Steady" ... done most along the lines of the Hall and Oates version. Simple groove .... room to make it funky ... nice horns in the bridge ... simple (but full) backup vocals round it out. Another that's high on my faves to play list.

• Members

The only kinds of covers I enjoy hearing are ones that take lots of creative liberties with the original. If I wanted to hear the original version, I wouldn't be sitting in front of a live band. We try to manhandle all of our covers to reflect our own sound, regardless of where they come from. There are times when it doesn't work, but at least it isn't boring!

• Members

I think this is a GREAT way for original bands to extend their sets as well as connecting with the audience on another level. "Original-style covers" are a way that a band can really let it's personality come out. Especially when you completely take a song out of it's genre. We like to do Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" as a powerful rock song and it kills.

• Members

If I'm thinking of the right song - isn't that Green Day song Brain Stew the one that sounds like Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4? If so - a medley of those 2 might be kewl.

yup they have alot of the same bones ,, but I doubt that you will ever in a million years find a band that can do justice to 25 or 6 to 4 , thats willing to play the greenday song. Chicago is some of the hardests rock ever written to perform. Their horns and arrangments are real tough stuff. If you can play that , you wont want to play a dumed down song by greenday. Chicago is typically done by event bands who will keep targeting the thing they do best ,,,Horn band stuff ,, or real high powered blues.

• Members

Ya but if I remember right - the OP was the same guy who said the 2 guitarists wanted more modern music (ala Tool/Pantera/etc). Granted, by no means is Green Day in any way shape or form technical in any aspect, but it might appeal to the guitarists' need for something more modern and at the same time appeal to the members of the band who want the 70s/80s stuff via the Chicago.

/shrug just food for thought.

• Members

If you want to re-do an old cover I suggest you do it immediately. I was in a country band back in the late eighties ( honest!) and we did a great cover of the Chi-lites( guessing on spelling) "Oh Girl". We did it too long tho as by the time we got to record it another, and far inferior in our opinion, version came out on country radio and promptly sank from view. BUMMER!:facepalm:

• Members

I also think that it IS possible to play some songs without the original instrumentation. It drastically changes the song but it puts your own stamp on it.

True but only a band full of fools would take on a signature horn band song from chicago without the horns. You might pull off I'm a man , but then that was a cover that chicago put out their own version of. ya gotta know your limitations because you dont wanna stamp fool on your forhead. You can do alot of soul without a horn section ,,but chicago ...thats like trying to do hendrix without a guitar.

• Members

Two great choices. Another I've always wanted to re-do is 25 or 6 to 4. The Chicago song with the decending riff. 2nd guitar would take the horn part. Just rock it... it would kill.

there's a cover band around here that does 25 or 6 to 4 without horns. They rock it up a bit and have a female vocalist singing the lead. It's a killer cover!

• Members

there's a cover band around here that does 25 or 6 to 4 without horns. They rock it up a bit and have a female vocalist singing the lead. It's a killer cover!

Cover yes ,, killer cover ,,, i kinda doubt that one. Its a dumbed down cover that you like. I am not really a great chicago fan ,I was more of a BS&T guy,,,, but i do know that the stuff they did was not for power chord beginners. Like I said doing chicago without horns is like doing hendrix with out a guitar. The stuff is signature horn band material. I would be embarassed to even try it without a brass section or at least a keyboard guy pimpin the horns. You really need to take a good listen to it. Trying to cover that horn part with a guitar would be totally limp.

• Members

I worked up a slow acoustic version of the old Whitney Houston tune "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". It works really well as a slow mournful ballad about lost love. I always thought the lyrics didn't fit the way she did it anyway.

This sounds like a wonderful treatment of this song - I'd like to hear it. Have it on video anywhere?

• Members

yup they have alot of the same bones ,, but I doubt that you will ever in a million years find a band that can do justice to 25 or 6 to 4 , thats willing to play the greenday song. Chicago is some of the hardests rock ever written to perform. Their horns and arrangments are real tough stuff. If you can play that , you wont want to play a dumed down song by greenday. Chicago is typically done by event bands who will keep targeting the thing they do best ,,,Horn band stuff ,, or real high powered blues.

I use to tease the Greenday before we did our rock version of 25......and I do the horn parts on guitar with a micro POG, :poke: sometimes add echo as well and get a lot of comments as to "how cool" :blah::blah::blah:

....in my mind (and fingers) the solo's are the challenging part, if you want to get close as possible, add atouch of modernism and it works without the butchering, been doin' it for years :rawk:

• Members

And try I'll Be Around by the Spinners. You can do this 3 piece even. There's a conga part that can be incorporated into the drum beat on the toms. With just bass and guitar you've got the main parts covered. 2nd guitat takes the string parts. Packs the floor.

There was a band in the 80s called What is This?, with a couple of former/future members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, that did a nice cover of the Spinners song.

They made a video for it, but I couldn't find it on Youtube, just the album clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CBpZhh854

I've got an promo EP from them with a live version of it and they killed it as a three piece.

• Members

I use to tease the Greenday before we did our rock version of 25......and I do the horn parts on guitar with a micro POG, :poke: sometimes add echo as well and get a lot of comments as to "how cool"
:blah:
....in my mind (and fingers) the solo's are the challenging part, if you want to get close as possible, add atouch of modernism and it works without the butchering, been doin' it for years
:rawk:

I guess its kinda hard for me to imagine,, the progressions could get you there though. I played in a horn band when i was young,, and just bailed out of a deal with a band that had a full horn section. When i was young there was a band that did a spooled up version of stop in the name of love with a male singer and a fuzzed up lead. That worked well ,, so I guess anything can work if you do it right. I know a duo that does black water by the doobies ,,, they dont change it too much but for two guys its an amazing thing to watch.. The singer does have the best sideman i know. Plays killer cross harp ,, sings steller harmony ,, a monster on congas and also plays steel drum. Watching him blow a solo on harp with no holder and still play congas is amazing ,, The guy can play congas better with one hand than most people can with two.

• Members

I've been playing in oldies and classic rock cover bands for the past several decades. Every once in awhile some smart aleck kid comes up and asks if we do any death metal or hardcore stuff.

So I worked up a really nasty version of "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by the Ohio Express. The guitars are heavily distorted and I play only down-stroked power chords while screaming the lyrics with a Cookie Monster voice.

So far, nobody has ever asked us for another heavy metal number.

• Moderators

Cover yes ,, killer cover ,,, i kinda doubt that one. Its a dumbed down cover that you like. I am not really a great chicago fan ,I was more of a BS&T guy,,,, but i do know that the stuff they did was not for power chord beginners. Like I said doing chicago without horns is like doing hendrix with out a guitar. The stuff is signature horn band material. I would be embarassed to even try it without a brass section or at least a keyboard guy pimpin the horns. You really need to take a good listen to it. Trying to cover that horn part with a guitar would be totally limp.

Once again Mr. Rhat, you sadden me. It's a song too. Not just an arrangement. A great song can be rearranged with creativity and be just as good or better sometimes because of the new arranger's vision. Hendrix without guitar???? Don't tell Jaco.

How about a big band jazz version of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Do you know how totally rad that could be? No wait, no synth...

How about Vanilla Fudge doing Keep Me Hangin' On? This whole mentality of having to do a tune the way it is most recognized is very short sighted. :bor:

• Members

Once again Mr. Rhat, you sadden me. It's a
song
too. Not just an arrangement. A great song can be rearranged with creativity and be just as good or better sometimes because of the new arranger's vision. Hendrix without guitar???? Don't tell Jaco.

How about a big band jazz version of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Do you know how totally rad that could be? No wait, no synth...

How about Vanilla Fudge doing Keep Me Hangin' On? This whole mentality of having to do a tune the way it is most recognized is very short sighted.
:bor:

I agree. What a downer. I guess he wouldn't approve of my band's sorta Surfy Fusion versions of Take 5 and the Pink Panther.

I was totally thrilled to read above about the dude using a POG to cover the horn parts on 25 or 6 to 4. I would love to hear a clip of that.

Added a link to an old recording of the pink panther. I admittingly start off a bit shakey, and its a typical bar recording. But still this song always gets a rise and its enough to represent the style.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7532658&q=hi

Archived