People who don't listen to ANY new music are like...........

• Members

There were burgers 40 years ago, and there are burgers today. There were great steaks then too. The era of the food is inconsequential. Music, unlike food, does not go rancid over time. Feel free to taste all types of dishes from all different eras.

Mac and cheese and Shepard's Pie and Lobster and Cheeze Wizz too. Just cause I like some wizz on my Triscuit doesn't mean I forget how really delicious an impeccably prepared French meal can be.

so that would make k.d. lang something like....oh, tuna fish? Puff Daddy clearly would be chessy mac dinner! Micheal Jackson....something like roast kid(lamb) with bleached whole wheat bread.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what it is all about...mainstream radio channels and "music television" are the absolute WORST places to judge todays music. Things like XM, Pandora and even Youtube are great resources for finding decent music.

Oh yeah. Pandora is great - I've heard SO much stuff on there that I never would have if not for that. And it's gotten so that a huge percentage of the music it plays is stuff I end up liking.

• Moderators

Really, I don't understand why one wouldn't listen to music from past decades AND current music. One lends perspetive to the experience of listening to the other and makes it more enjoyable.

• Members

Really, I don't understand why one wouldn't listen to music from past decades AND current music. One lends perspetive to the experience of listening to the other and makes it more enjoyable.

Yeah, agreed! Music is music, and I don't understand why anybody would exclude at least listening to it because it's new, or old. But I still don't see why anyone would actually get pissed off at somebody else for not listening to (or liking) whatever they listen to. :lol:

• Members

The simple fact is that most new music sucks and will not stand the test of time. Get over it.

I think the biggest problem is that nowadays there is so MUCH music being released that we get oversaturated with it. And yes, most of it sucks. That has always been true - there was a lot of crap that came out in the past too, but we don't hear it anymore. We only hear the good stuff that has held up. Whereas current music hasn't been "filtered" by time or much of anything else, so we hear a high percentage of crap.

• Members

I think the biggest problem is that nowadays there is so MUCH music being released that we get oversaturated with it. And yes, most of it sucks. That has always been true - there was a lot of crap that came out in the past too, but we don't hear it anymore. We only hear the good stuff that has held up. Whereas current music hasn't been "filtered" by time or much of anything else, so we hear a high percentage of crap.

That's very true, Lee. The "Classic" stuff that we hear today has been filtered to exclude the stuff that sucked back in the day - it has stood the test of time. I'm quite sure that today's music will go through a similar "filtering" process, and eventually the "suck" will get left behind.

:cool:

• Members

I'm sorry, nerdy or not, I love Weezer. I remember how much my "cooler-than-thou" musician friends hated them back in 1994 (back when everyone had to be "deep" because of grunge), and now almost all of those same guys love them.

I tend to dig new music that sounds kind of old, like Ponderosa, Butch Walker, The Dynamites, and stuff like that...

Brian V.

Weezer is Fing awesome. People who are too cool to like them simply suck at living. One of my favorite songs to do at our show is where we mashup The Sweater Song with "damn it feels good to be a gangsta". Awesomeness.

btw - I PMed your bandmate about doing a show with us-ish.

• Members

I think the internet has been great for music lovers like me. I have found tons of new bands I really like.

I am not someone that has ever stopped listening to new music... mainstream music yes, new music no.

Mainstream I do pay attention to cuz it's what I'm paid to do with the band... find the hit, cover the hit... make the girls dance and giggle and be all happy and by beer and then I get paid. ;) but you rarely find it in my CD player unless I have to learn it. (

like Kevin Rudolph's CD... or the newest Kid Rock)

but as far as listening goes... my tastes are varied, yeah I lean towards Prog Metal but I never stopped searching for some good tunes.. Here's my car CD changer right now

1- Skyclad: The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea
2- Dream Theater: Images & Words
3- The Sons Of Maxwell: The Neighbourhood
4- The Police: Synchronicity
5- Nevermore: This Godless Endeavor
6- sHEAVY: The Machine That One The War

far out huh?

• Members

I had to laugh at this, because 'deep' is never a word I associated with grunge. Dark? Nihilistic? Sometimes even observant? Yep, but deep? Not really.

That's why I put "deep" in quotes, my friend...it wasn't an authentic deep any more than when some hair dude whipped out a 12-string acoustic and sang about "his little girl".

I agree that it was more dark, nihilistic, and almost kind of just expressing their own pain and depression.

Reminds me of the scene in the Kids In The Hall movie (Brain Candy) when the Eddie Vedder-like icon rock star guy goes, "{censored} happy!"

Brian V.

• Members

I'm sorry, nerdy or not, I love Weezer. I remember how much my "cooler-than-thou" musician friends hated them back in 1994 (back when everyone had to be "deep" because of grunge), and now almost all of those same guys love them.

I tend to dig new music that sounds kind of old, like Ponderosa, Butch Walker, The Dynamites, and stuff like that...

Brian V.

I was 13 when Weezer hit and I had just started playing... All my music friends loved Weezer. One group would play all of their songs, not just the stuff on MTV and the radio. I never got into it like they did, but I will admit at the time I was much more interested in checking out classic rock and blues stuff. I don't think they're a bad band, just not my cup of tea.

• Members

That's why I put "deep" in quotes, my friend...it wasn't an authentic deep any more than when some hair dude whipped out a 12-string acoustic and sang about "his little girl".

I agree that it was more dark, nihilistic, and almost kind of just expressing their own pain and depression.

Reminds me of the scene in the Kids In The Hall movie (Brain Candy) when the Eddie Vedder-like icon rock star guy goes, "{censored} happy!"

Brian V.

And that really summed up the latter part of the Grunge movement. it became a parody of itself. Not as blatant as glam rock got but it was there.

• Members
That's very true, Lee. The "Classic" stuff that we hear today has been filtered to exclude the stuff that sucked back in the day - it has stood the test of time. I'm quite sure that today's music will go through a similar "filtering" process, and eventually the "suck" will get left behind.

:cool:

While alot of stuff sucked back in the day ,,,, the percentage is not near as high as today. At least back then you didnt get a record deal until you were a top local or regional band and someone in the industry had to bless you to get that deal. Today ,,, way too many people go the vanity recording route. The bar has been lowered alot due to that

• Members

I go out of my way to spend some time listening to new music now because the band wanted to play some newer stuff, so I listen for what I think might be good songs for us to do.
But when it comes to my own listening pleasure / my own entertainment it's like this:
I have very, very little precious time to just sit down and listen to music for the sheer enjoyment of it. So, as a result, when I do have the time I don't want to waste it fumbling around trying to find something that I MIGHT like. I put on what I know I like. Bear in mind that that there are hundreds of hours of "Old Classics" to pick from. So I never feel as though I'm listening to the "same old stuff" because I can go months at a time and never listen to the same CD twice. So if you only listen to a particular CD once or twice a year (and I have others that I probably only listen to once every two years) can it ever really get "old" ?

So, hate me for it if you will but no one should ever apologize for listening to the music they like.

• Members

The problem is that some of the more talented rock bands out their are not marketed at all by the labels. Bands like Shinedown and Alter Bridge can hold their own with a lot of the more classic and grunge rock bands. Both have amazing rock singers, but they are not mainstream.

Audioslave was a new band with older band members, but they were good. Godsmack didn't come out until the late 90s and they are good.

The band Wolfmother would be a lot cooler, if there next producer and mixing engineer on their next album would not make everything so bright sounding and trying to emulate Led Zep.

You have Joe Bonamassa who is basically this generations version of SRV. Johnny Lang was a very talented blues guitarist who has moved to writing more mainstream songs, ala Eric Clapton did back in the day. He is not as good of a songwriter, but is a better guitar player. John Mayer writes chick pop songs, but is pretty good with his Trio blues rock band.

There are good bands out their today, there are just not that many of them. And you might only discover 2-3 new bands per year, instead of 7-8. Also with the huge popularity of rap music nowadays, it has cut into the listening time of today's youth with rock music. But things always go in cycles, and IMO rap music is not as popular as it was 4-5 years ago. Kids are starting to want something different. Evident by the new movement of teenagers collecting vinyl records.

• Moderators

so that would make k.d. lang something like....oh, tuna fish? Puff Daddy clearly would be chessy mac dinner! Micheal Jackson....something like roast kid(lamb) with bleached whole wheat bread.

Daft Punk is freeze dried backpacking meal washed down with Tang.

Pearl Jam is Conrned Beef on Toast

Kanye West is a McRib sandwich

• Members

I was hooked on Weezer the first time I heard "Buddy Holly". I used to play in a Weezer tribute band, right before the "Green Album" came out... we did the "Blue Album" in its entirety, about half of the songs off of "Pinkerton", and all of the b-sides and movie soundtrack stuff. We even threw a couple of Pixies songs in there for good measure.

A metalhead I be, but I will always have a soft spot for Weezer.

• Members

The problem is that some of the more talented rock bands out their are not marketed at all by the labels. Bands like Shinedown and Alter Bridge can hold their own with a lot of the more classic and grunge rock bands. Both have amazing rock singers, but they are not mainstream.

Audioslave was a new band with older band members, but they were good. Godsmack didn't come out until the late 90s and they are good.

The band Wolfmother would be a lot cooler, if there next producer and mixing engineer on their next album would not make everything so bright sounding and trying to emulate Led Zep.

You have Joe Bonamassa who is basically this generations version of SRV. Johnny Lang was a very talented blues guitarist who has moved to writing more mainstream songs, ala Eric Clapton did back in the day. He is not as good of a songwriter, but is a better guitar player. John Mayer writes chick pop songs, but is pretty good with his Trio blues rock band.

There are good bands out their today, there are just not that many of them. And you might only discover 2-3 new bands per year, instead of 7-8. Also with the huge popularity of rap music nowadays, it has cut into the listening time of today's youth with rock music. But things always go in cycles, and IMO rap music is not as popular as it was 4-5 years ago. Kids are starting to want something different. Evident by the new movement of teenagers collecting vinyl records.

Wolfmother as far as i remember - didnt they break up? Or the singer left? GOod riddance. It's not their producer/engineer that want them to sound like LZ - it's THEM. It's blatant.

Audioslave had a great opening record - and went downhill fast.

Godsmack - you wont find any love for them here. They get called "nu-metal" which basically is HC speak for "one finger power chord, downtuned, no talent, fake wanna be metal". (I like them tho).

• Members

Wolfmother as far as i remember - didnt they break up? Or the singer left? GOod riddance. It's not their producer/engineer that want them to sound like LZ - it's THEM. It's blatant.

Audioslave had a great opening record - and went downhill fast.

Godsmack - you wont find any love for them here. They get called "nu-metal" which basically is HC speak for "one finger power chord, downtuned, no talent, fake wanna be metal". (I like them tho).

Actually some of the stuff off of Audioslave's last album was pretty good, but there was just not one big single.

I don't get why people would say that about Godsmack. I don't like most of the bands out today because they have no talent, can't write, and don't rock (I hate punk). But these guys have talent, can write, and tear the house down with rock. They have some cool solos and have a really good drummer and a singer with a good rock voice. I have really just gotten into a lot of the newer music and quit listening to only classic rock, but Sabbath and even a lot of Zeppelin stuff is not much harder for me to play correctly than some of the newer (last 10 years) stuff by some of the good bands I mentioned above.(I have been playing guitar for 10 years and I am in a cover band that covers stuff from the late 60s up until today).

I like bands that are not scared to write a good solo, but I also don't have to have a shredding guitar in every song.

A lot of the Nu metal stuff is not very good, but you do have some very talented guys in the bands and some are very good. Now people on these boards might say "I can play that good." Well that may be true, but technically speaking a lot of songs by Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Alice in Chains; you don't exactly need a degree from Berklee to play that good either. But the difference is you listened to them as a kid so you respect them more. Heck if Black Sabbath never existed and they came out today, people would say "oh they are just trying to copy so and so, or they aren't that good; look how simple that riff is to iron man."

I think we can all agree that their were more good old bands, and on average they were better. But most older people can't find new music they like anymore because they don't want too. It might not be on MTV like it used to be, but it is still out there.

(Oh and BTW, a lot of the 80s music was very technical on guitar work, but it was overprocessed, bad bass and drums, and everything was done over the top. What is tasteful? Outside of SRV and Guns N Roses you can have the 80s. There are really only two good music periods IMO, from about 69' to 77' and from about 89' to 97'. In between you have to look harder for good bands, but that don't mean they are not out there. There was a twenty year gap between the first one and it is now 20 years later.)

Oh and if they want something heavy and technical they can listen to Dream Theater (maybe they are not exactly new by any stretch of the imagination), but are probably the most talented in terms of pure technical playing of any rock band in history.

• Members

i just read page one, and this point may be already made, but jesus christ, you old coots, you can't compare the best of an era to some average crap from now and conclude that the new stuff sucks. you can't compare mash to flava of love. be real, compare battle of the network stars to flava of love. your argument isn't so great now, is it? and don't put up a list of top grossing acts. dinosaurs like the rolling stones or madonna can play {censored} that hasn't been relevant in years, and sell tickets for $100 a pop, because rich old white people who want to live in the past can afford to pay it. you're not going to pay $100 for a "insert new band here" ticket, but i'd have trouble believing that the rolling stones are making music that justifies $100 a head any more.

there's always great music, and there's always {censored}. don't pretend it's any different. you're making the same arguments your parents made when all that rock stuff sounded like noise to them and they wanted to listen to some pat boone.

Archived