Anyone working in female fronted bands?

Kramerguy

• Members

Well, we're now trying out female singers. Never had a problem with them, to any greater degree than with ANY singer.

I'm in a classic HARD rock cover band, and we're a little 'wiser' - by which I mean older. The plain truth is that while most of the music we do was originally sung by male singers, I cannot find ONE who can actually sing this {censored}. Not in its original key, original range, and with power. NOT ONE!!!!!

Female singers can. End of Story. (for us anyway)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, we're now trying out female singers. Never had a problem with them, to any greater degree than with ANY singer.

I'm in a classic HARD rock cover band, and we're a little 'wiser' - by which I mean older. The plain truth is that while most of the music we do was originally sung by male singers, I cannot find ONE who can actually sing this {censored}. Not in its original key, original range, and with power. NOT ONE!!!!!

Female singers can. End of Story. (for us anyway)

I think the best format is a female and a male singer. you can cover pretty well anything like that. Bands with just a female singer kind of bore me. Its always reminds me that not very many guys sing in choir in HS. The guys start a band ,, find out their vocals suck ,, so they go lookin for a girl to sing lead.

• Members

I've been in several female fronted bands. One early on was a bit diva-ish, but she got "corrected" soon enough. The other had a female couple fronting, one on vocals, the other on guitar. The guitar player was cool, her girlfriend was a drama queen. At one rehearsal the singer vented her usual frustrations at her own performance while we tuned and got ready for the next song. Her act had gotten pretty old by this point, so she pipes up with "Well, I see that my opinion doesn't count for anything around here!" To which I replied "That would be a shame if it was true, because your opinion is the one most heard around here!" Blessed peace for the rest of the evening.

My current band is fronted by a female, and she's great, a true pro.

• Members

I think the best format is a female and a male singer. you can cover pretty well anything like that. Bands with just a female singer kind of bore me. Its always reminds me that not very many guys sing in choir in HS. The guys start a band ,, find out their vocals suck ,, so they go lookin for a girl to sing lead.

That's what we are going for. The drummer sings. We should be able to cover anything. That's the hope, anyway.

• Members

While it's sad to see all the gross generalisations, maybe these are offset by the chorus of people chiming in with good real-life experiences as well as bad, so the reality of the situation is clear: there are dramas whoever is fronting the band.

GaJ

• Members

Meh - the female fronted bands can't win here. An equally common complaint is "I hate it when females cover
". We get that about Muse songs, for example.

GaJ

Think it depends entirely on the voice of the individual. A lot of women that were in choirs in high school, for example, don't have enough of an "edge" or "roughness" to their vocal tone in order to really pull off some hard rock songs. Some do. Same thing with guys. Someone with a pretty voice, solely operatic training, or comes from a background in jazz may have interest things to do for original songs, but they can have a rough time recreating the inflections and what not in a genre they have little experience with.

Has little to do the the gender, more to do with their musical background and training, IMHO.

• Members

I think the best format is a female and a male singer. you can cover pretty well anything like that. Bands with just a female singer kind of bore me....

I'd drop the gender reference and simply say that bands with just one singer kind of bore me. Bands with one singer (even a really good singer) usually start sounding pretty much the same long before the night ends. I'm a firm believer that the more competent vocalists a band has - the better the band.

A "one set" originals band might get away with a single vocalist ... but if there's a full night of playing involved - the more band members sharing the vocal load the merrier!

• Members

I'd drop the gender reference and simply say that bands with just one singer kind of bore me. Bands with one singer (even a really
good
singer) usually start sounding pretty much the same long before the night ends. I'm a firm believer that the more competent vocalists a band has - the better the band.

A "one set" originals band might get away with a single vocalist ... but if there's a full night of playing involved - the more band members sharing the vocal load the merrier!

What defines the "one set"? Length? Number of songs?

I mean, obviously, the majority of commercially successful bands in the world have a single lead singer.

• Members

What defines the "one set"? Length? Number of songs?

I mean, obviously, the majority of commercially successful bands in the world have a single lead singer.

My "one set" comment wasn't mean to set a threshold that's measured with a stopwatch. The world I work in is the typical 4 set a night cover band world ... so anything significantly less is what I was thinking of.

You're also right about the majority of commercially successful bands - although what constitutes "commercially successful" is probably open for discussion. If you're talking major label touring acts - yep, most have a single lead singer. However, if we're talking major label touring act - you gotta think of each of them as being a well known brand in their own right - so folks are buying that brand and expect and want that vocalist's sound all night long.

However, when we're talking bar band - I think audiences appreciate the variety that multiple vocalists bring to an act - compared to bands with a single "lead vocalist" (even when that vocalist is a very good one). I know that I certainly do!

• Members

I was in an R&B band with a male singer and a female singer, worked really good for that format.

Of all the bands I've been in that had female singers (at least five and in different genres), none were negative experiences and none had that diva attitude.

Archived