Anyone working in female fronted bands?

Kramerguy

• Members

im also in a female fronted band, and she's bonkers, and has a huge ego... so we have our fair share of drama... especially since the drummer and I also have huge egos and also like to be in control. Oh and we live together and all have significant others who like to join in the drama too, so imagine that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
im also in a female fronted band, and she's bonkers, and has a huge ego... so we have our fair share of drama... especially since the drummer and I also have huge egos and also like to be in control. Oh and we live together and all have significant others who like to join in the drama too, so imagine that.

:eek: this must be a veritable all you can eat buffet of drama...

• Members
I'm taking bets on "Should I have sex with her?"
:lol:

Incorrect. Nothing to do with the singer so much as a perceived threat. I didn't want to drag this into a public discussion as much as get specific advice on how to quash pointless fears and deal with things as such.

• Members

And no one has been murdered in their sleep yet? :eek:

• Members

Incorrect. Nothing to do with the singer so much as a perceived threat. I didn't want to drag this into a public discussion as much as get specific advice on how to quash pointless fears and deal with things as such.

If this involves "perceived threat" and "pointless fears" from significant other, I got that going on to some degree. PM if you want.

• Members

Well, I'm not the front person, but I AM the only female in an otherwise male band. You're welcome to PM me if you need any advice... I think I've pretty much seen it all in 30 years of doing this. :lol:

• Members

Are you in Fleetwood Mac?

• Members
+100000000000

For us, it's just the opposite. Our singer carries in everything that she can (plus a few things that she can't) and our bass player and lead guitarist can't seem to figure out that the equipment doesn't move itself. Sometimes they think that sitting down will get the job done faster. :facepalm:

• Members

Once, but our second gig she FAILED. Fired her the next day.

She was drinking from a travel mug on the way to the show (1 hour drive). We asked what it was out of curiosity and she said "Party Drinks". Didn't think much of it at the time. Then she ordered a pitcher and drank it before we realized what was up. She ordered another and the drummer pointed out that she drank the first one by herself. He tried to stop her from ordering it, but I said to go ahead. If she wants to get drunk and mess it up, we are better out finding out on the 2nd show than the 30th.

She went to the restroom while we set up on stage. When she came back, she looked like Carrie from that movie. Her mascara was all runny and she looked like she puked. She went up to themic and the sound guy was asking her for a mic check. She looked at me and said..."Someone is talking". :facepalm:

She proceeded to completely Courtney Love our first two songs. But I wasn't about to let her off easy, so we made her finish the set. Halfway through the soundguy was totally razzin her. "Sing into the mic" he said. It was a nightmare, but funny as hell to the people watching.

• Members

we used to have a female fronted band. we dont anymore, and i am never going to go that route again. maybe it was just a bad experience for me and she was too "diva" minded, but it was a constant nightmare. good luck to all you who do! women are totally different than men and you better know her very well before you go down that path. since our band broke up in november of 2008, i havent stopped playing at all. i was able to get in another band, play as long as i wanted to, reform my old band minus the diva, and now we are better than ever, stronger than ever, and more popular than ever. she hasnt been able to do squat. i am so glad it is over with her and my band life is happier because of it! she still shows up at shows and wants to sing a song or two, which we allowed a couple of times, but that is over now, she needs to get her own band and get over it. good luck with it. get burned like i did and it will leave a bad taste in your mouth!

• Members

I hate female fronted cover bands because they think they have to cover female songwriters; they play a bunch of Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Pink {censored}. I never want to hear the song "Bitch" ever again. Its more interesting when a woman sings a song by a male, like "Highway to Hell" or something. Most great rock music is by MEN, not women! :mad:

• Members
I hate female fronted cover bands because they think they have to cover female songwriters; they play a bunch of Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Pink {censored}. I never want to hear the song "Bitch" ever again. Its more interesting when a woman sings a song by a male, like "Highway to Hell" or something. Most great rock music is by MEN, not women!
:mad:

i predict this thread is gonna go to 10 pages by the end of the day.

-PJ

• Members
I hate female fronted cover bands because they think they have to cover female songwriters; they play a bunch of Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Pink {censored}. I never want to hear the song "Bitch" ever again. Its more interesting when a woman sings a song by a male, like "Highway to Hell" or something. Most great rock music is by MEN, not women!

We do a mixture, but women in the audience really like those angry female songs.

• Members
. Most great rock music is by MEN, not women!

Agreed. But I'm going to guess about half of the songs I cover are originally done by male artists, plus a couple originally recorded by men, then made famous by women. I know many women who cover male artists. Maybe you're seeing the wrong bands? :idk:

P.S. I don't do rock like H2H. If I can hold up my RAWK fingers and want to bang my head to it, I'm not going to cover it. To each his own. I would happily do some Zeplin or a song like Black Betty, though.

• Members

I hate female fronted cover bands because they think they have to cover female songwriters; they play a bunch of Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Pink {censored}. I never want to hear the song "Bitch" ever again. Its more interesting when a woman sings a song by a male, like "Highway to Hell" or something.

Meh - the female fronted bands can't win here. An equally common complaint is "I hate it when females cover ". We get that about Muse songs, for example.

GaJ

• Members

Why won't this sexist crap die?

It's so discouraging to see young, supposedly intelligent people making these ugly, blanket generalizations about gender on this forum. This thread topic pops up from time to time and it always degenerates into a chick-bashing crapfest.

Each band member stands or falls on his or her own merit. Gender is a non-issue, except perhaps in costume and song selection.

• Members

Why won't this sexist crap die?

It's
so
discouraging to see young, supposedly intelligent people making these ugly, blanket generalizations about gender on this forum. This thread topic pops up from time to time and it always degenerates into a chick-bashing crapfest.

Each band member stands or falls on his or her own merit. Gender is a non-issue, except perhaps in costume and song selection.

Believe me, this thread was never intended to provoke gender issues.. It was intended to ask for advice in a private and confidential manner that just happens to be gender-specific. Those morons who are slamming women are obviously deep rooted in personal inadequacies and need to seek professional help. I know girls who can run circles around anyone on their instruments, and who also help carry more than their fair share on load-in's and outs.

I wouldn't mind if this thread got closed.. I got my answer(s) in PM's.

Archived